VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I downloaded an animated movie and bought the same movie in DVD to compare them. The result is that the pirated dvd has less dynamic range than the original movie and as much as i tried with Audacity or Box4 3 i dont get the same result. Can you help me please?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took a look at this, I coudn't get the same balance using a typical compressor. I installed the free VST's RoughRider3, ADHD leveling tool
    and VladG Software's Limiter No6 (this is a bit more elaborate; I didn't have time to play with it much) - they work in the latest Audacity.

To be honest I had more luck in Adobe Audition 1.5 on an old XP install - it has a "Compander" - combination expander/compressor.
    Got it looking close then used a -gain to bring the whole thing down.

Your second version probably started from a different source, could have been 5.1 compressed to 2.0
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try this in an ffmpeg command line:

-af dynaudnorm=f=150:b=1

There's some presets for compression configured in this version of foobar2000:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396860-foobar2000-portable-(for-audio-encoding)

Edit: I just remembered BOX4 can use the Dynamic Audio Normalizer, so maybe you've already tried it.

I didn't have a foobar2000 encoder preset configured to compress and convert to mp3 directly but it's easy to create one.

The four attached mp3s below have been adjusted to roughly the same volume according to an EBU R128 scan (as close to -24 LUFS as possible, adjusting their volumes losslessy). The Dynamic Audio Normalizer version is more compressed, but I just used the settings I'd normally use.

The foobar2000 ffmpeg encoder preset used this command line.

-i - -ignore_length true -af dynaudnorm=f=150:b=1 -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 2 -id3v2_version 3 %d

ffmpeg's EBU R128 compressor (LoudNorm) also seems to work reasonably well. I don't normally use it so I took a guess at some settings.

-i - -ignore_length true -af loudnorm=I=-24.0:LRA=10.0 -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 2 -id3v2_version 3 %d

They actually sound different to what their waveforms suggest, at least to me, but as I'd already looked....

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by hello_hello; 17th Aug 2024 at 21:28.
    Quote Quote