VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In compressing a video, it seems that if I try to reduce the size of a video by too much I dramatically lose video quality. However, if I use the "Compression Settings" set to 70%, run the compression, then repeat the process however many times it takes to get down to the size I'm shooting for. I can go through the process and still retain good quality. Sometimes this takes 4 or five repeated compressions. It isn't a problem it's just a matter of time. Is this typical or am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What program are you using,I use Handbrake to compress or encode video and it works fine for me.

You can use it to make a video go from 1280x720p to 720x404 or 720x480p as well,you can also use it to reduce the megabyte size as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should not compress a video more than once, as the quality deteriorates with each compression.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I miss the part where you said that you compress the video many times,ProWo is correct don't do that for sure.

The best thing to do is start by telling us what software your using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You should not compress a video more than once, as the quality deteriorates with each compression.
    +1.

Beyond that there's not enough info, eg as mentioned the software you're using.

You don't say what you;re encoding to but if you want decent quality and small files you want HEVC/x265 video unless you can't use it for compatibility reasons. x264 isn't actually optimized for low bit rates all that well. x265 is since it was developed with streaming in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bacon Nivison View Post
    In compressing a video, it seems that if I try to reduce the size of a video by too much I dramatically lose video quality. However, if I use the "Compression Settings" set to 70%, run the compression, then repeat the process however many times it takes to get down to the size I'm shooting for. I can go through the process and still retain good quality. Sometimes this takes 4 or five repeated compressions. It isn't a problem it's just a matter of time. Is this typical or am I missing something?
    How do you try to reduce the size of the video other than changing "compression settings"? Do you specify a quality or a bitrate etc? What video codec and/or GUI are you encoding with? What type of video is your source?
    Repeated compression to reduce the file size doesn't really make much sense if you're referring to encoding the video, re-encoding the encoded version and then re-encoding that encode etc, but unfortunately your post doesn't provide enough information to even guess as to the cause of the problem.
    Quote Quote