VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm doing remasters right now, and I'm syncing the remastered video with the original video so I can remaster and transplant the audio. At this point I would find it very useful to be able to pause/play 2 videos at once. I can and do do it with 2 video players open at once, but it can be hard to pause/play both perfectly, even with a quick bot. If one player lags that can be trouble too, they can fall out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth script. Search the forum for stackhorizontal
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Just remember that StackHorizontal takes the audio from the first clip called
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unfortunately StackHorizontal requires the video files to be identical in height and width, and they are not. I would have to convert it, which means I can't use it to compare the original with the remaster directly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No need to convert it, just add borders to the smaller clip before using StackHorizontal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can make them the same height or width - addborders or crop or resize . You don't have to convert anything with a script, you can play on the fly with avspmod

Or use a video editor (NLE)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I'm sure there are any number of ways I could convert, crop or extend the video to make it work. Still, I was hoping to find a more convenient way. It's not like I'm lazy, but I do so much video editing that my tools need to be as efficient as possible, and having to convert every file before I remaster it seems wasteful. Besides, if any frames were dropped it would fall out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There is no need to convert anything, just add the addborders/crop/resize command in AviSynth before the StackHorizontal command
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    There is no need to convert anything, just add the addborders/crop/resize command in AviSynth before the StackHorizontal command
    Won't that require an encode?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    Yes, I'm sure there are any number of ways I could convert, crop or extend the video to make it work. Still, I was hoping to find a more convenient way. It's not like I'm lazy, but I do so much video editing that my tools need to be as efficient as possible, and having to convert every file before I remaster it seems wasteful. Besides, if any frames were dropped it would fall out of sync.
    Nothing has to be "converted" in a script - the manipulations are done "on the fly" - you don't have to encode anything beforehand . No frames are dropped if you use a frame accurate source filter. Audio and video tracks are indexed

People that do this every day, professionally, use a NLE . Because it's easy and visual. You have other cues like audio waveforms (avisynth can overlay an audio wave form too) to help sync. There are auto syncing tools. There are many different customizable ways to do this. It can be as easy is dropping video on a track. It's resized on the fly also to the project settings

There are many ways to do something. You choose what works best for you
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not for just displaying the 2 videos side by side. AviSynth is a frame server
    Quote Quote  
  12. Okay cool, I understand. I was unfamiliar with this tool, though I have heard of it. Sounds handy, I don't really have anything that accepts plugins.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but I do so much video editing that my tools need to be as efficient as possible,
    Just use an NLE. Visually sync the two videos (Snap Markers and Multicam mode to assist), then remove the video track and audio track you don't want. Done.

If your sync is out at the end, you can even stretch the audio to match the video (or Vice versa).

People that do this every day, professionally, use a NLE
    You don't have to be a "professional".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    I was hoping to find a more convenient way.
    Use a batch file to build the AviSynth script. Something like:

Code:
    echo v1 = LWlibavVideoSource(%1) >_compare.avs
    echo v2 = LWlibavVideoSource(%2) >>_compare.avs
    echo v2 = v2.BicubicResize(v1.width, v1.height) >>_compare.avs
    echo StackHorizontal(v1.Subtitle(%1), v2.Subtitle(%2)) >>_compare.avs

"G:\Program Files\AvsPmod\AvsPmod.exe" _compare.avs

del _compare.avs
    You can drag/drop a pair of filenames onto that batch file to build a script and launch AvsPmod to view it (change the path to AvsPmod to reflect where it is on your computer). If you put that batch file into Windows' Send To folder you can select a pair of file files, right click on one of them, and select Send To -> _compare.bat (or whatever you named the batch file). The batch file will be built and AvsPmod will launch to show you the videos. When you exit AvsPmod the batch file will be deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

People that do this every day, professionally, use a NLE
    You don't have to be a "professional".
    Of course

I mention it as an options - because people that do this frequently for work with editing/cuts , matching and syncing videos - need to be fast, efficient . Time is money

It's generally faster to do that type of work in a NLE than avisynth (and I use both) .

There are many ways to configure/customize this to how someone prefers to work in a NLE - there are variations on styles of editing or getting the same result
    Quote Quote  
  16. Actually SolveigMM Video Splitter has such a mode
    [Attachment 79655 - Click to enlarge]

to enable that you put a check on Enable Compare mode it tools-preferences-view
    [Attachment 79656 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Lol, you wanna talk about speed, convenience? I just found the perfect program for this! It's called Awesome Video Player, simply drag/drop 2 videos to get started. They don't need to have the same aspect ratio or even the same size, you can pause/play/rewind individually or at the same time. I usually find it's best to find a tool that was specialized towards the task like this one is. As few steps as possible is best, and a simple GUI makes it good for a beginner too, I'm making a kit with the best programs for certain tasks I do often, and this one definitely qualifies. For example:

Best Smart Renderer: VideoRedo
    Best Keyframe Editor: Machete
    Best Video Player: Daum Potplayer
    Uniquely useful programs: FFMPEG, MKVToolNix, Audacity

I could go on but I don't want to bore you, if your interested it will be on my archive.org account (imkira3-Archives)
    There aren't many good options for smart rendering and many good ones require the use of the command line. My aim is to make this type of editing more convenient if I can. A kit of the best tools is a good start I think.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Most 2024 Action Cams, Phones, etc. use HVEC (H.265 4:2:0) Codec isn't listed ? Thanks

Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    Lol, you wanna talk about speed, convenience? I just found the perfect program for this! It's called Awesome Video Player, simply drag/drop 2 videos to get started. They don't need to have the same aspect ratio or even the same size, you can pause/play/rewind individually or at the same time. I usually find it's best to find a tool that was specialized towards the task like this one is. As few steps as possible is best, and a simple GUI makes it good for a beginner too, I'm making a kit with the best programs for certain tasks I do often, and this one definitely qualifies. For example:

Best Smart Renderer: VideoRedo
    Best Keyframe Editor: Machete
    Best Video Player: Daum Potplayer
    Uniquely useful programs: FFMPEG, MKVToolNix, Audacity

I could go on but I don't want to bore you, if your interested it will be on my archive.org account (imkira3-Archives)
    There aren't many good options for smart rendering and many good ones require the use of the command line. My aim is to make this type of editing more convenient if I can. A kit of the best tools is a good start I think.
    Quote Quote