VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Thanks to everybody (especially jagabo) who introduced me to AviSynth and HC Encoder in a previous thread and helped me to get them working (I wanted to deblock the video). It's really opened my eyes to what's possible for video improvement. I thought stuff like that was only available to studios!

I have 15 year old VHS wrestling tapes which were converted to DVD. I would like to improve the picture quality and I would like the colours to be better. They're a bit dull. I need to change the picture function on my TV from Natural to Cinema to get better colours but they still aren't great. The black levels seem OK though. This is the script I used:

Mpeg2Source("I:\New\1 = Test files\clip 704.d2v", CPU=6)
    AddBorders(8, 0, 8, 0)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="medium", interlaced=true)
    The "CPU=6" is the maximum deblocking setting.
    I've added the borders because I'm converting 704 x 480 to 720 x 480.

That script pretty much eliminated the Blocking (pixilation), the Gaussian noise (it's like grain all over the picture), the Mosquito noise (like grain on the edge of objects), and it gave better black levels. But is there anything else I could improve?

I've also uploaded a 20 second DVD ISO HERE. I would be grateful if someone could burn the ISO to a DVD and watch it on your TV via a HDMI cable so you could tell me if there's any part of the picture I could improve with a script. That video is preferable as a video looks different on a TV and PC monitor. Or if you prefer to view it on your PC I've uploaded the M2V video that I created with my script HERE.

Please suggest scripts which you think would improve my video (I don't care how long the scripts take to make a video). I've also included my HC Encoder settings below in case you think I could use better settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings for HC Encoder.jpg
Views:	1911
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	8774

I saw the power of AviSynth videos such as this: http://vimeo.com/11133342. It looks like the video was unblurred so it looks like a DVD. Are there any filters that can do that with VHS videos which were transferred to DVD?

By the way, what is deringing?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 22nd Sep 2011 at 23:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The black levels still look too high for me. I think there's a little too much noise reduction too. Everything looks like plastic. I'd try stepping McTemporalDenoise() down to low. Or denoise only the chroma channels:

MergeChroma(last, McTemporalDenoise(settings="high", interlaced=true))

Deringing removes the mosquito noise around sharp edges. It's ringing from the DCT compression. See figure 4:
    http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v13/v13-51.pdf

Wow! When you perform an image search for "DCT ringing" at google some of my posts are at the top:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314708-Good-quality-What-changes-could-be-made?p=19...=1#post1946534
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/294144-Viewing-tests-and-sample-files?p=1792973&vie...=1#post1792973
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Sep 2011 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What do you mean by too high?

Just an update. Like I said before this is the script I used.

Code:
     AddBorders(8, 0, 8, 0)
    However I asked my question before it finished converting the video. It took 6 hours just to get to 19% completion! So I can't use the above script.Instead I need a script that will take less than 5 hours which will do the same as the above script.

I've uploaded my original 20 second video HERE or ideally you could download the ISO HERE and burn it to a DVD to see what it looks like on your TV.

I currently do deblocking like this which takes about 1 hour 26 minutes

Code:
      AddBorders(8, 0, 8, 0)
    Could someone please tell me what script I could use which would do the same as this:

Code:
    Off the top of the my head this is what I need:
    • Screen flicker removed
    • Mosquito noise around the edges of objects removed
    • Better black levels and colours
    So if someone could suggest the script I need to do that or anything else I could use to improve the picture (as long as it takes under 5 hours) I would be grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try adding ColorYUV(cont_y=24,off_y=-12). That's probably a decent compromise for the clip. Or ColorYUV(autogain=true) (you'll have to crop away the black borders first, add them back later). It's a bit aggressive for my taste though. Maybe you could follow it with ColorYUV(gain_y=-8), something like that.

For faster noise removal look at fft3d(), TTempSmooth(), DegrainMedian(), any of the 3d smoothers. But leave a little of the grain in the video. It will reduce the posterization -- especially noticeable in the black/gray background.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try adding ColorYUV(cont_y=24,off_y=-12). That's probably a decent compromise for the clip. Or ColorYUV(autogain=true) (you'll have to crop away the black borders first, add them back later). It's a bit aggressive for my taste though. Maybe you could follow it with ColorYUV(gain_y=-8), something like that.

For faster noise removal look at fft3d(), TTempSmooth(), DegrainMedian(), any of the 3d smoothers. But leave a little of the grain in the video. It will reduce the posterization -- especially noticeable in the black/gray background.
    Could you please suggest a script which contains all of that as I don't know what settings to use?

Should I still have this at the top of my file?:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("I:\New\1 = Test files\Dec 30 original test file.d2v", CPU=6)
    AddBorders(8, 0, 8, 0)
    If I were to use ColorYUV(autogain=true) should I put that above my borders code? Should the borders code always be used last?

Also just wondering what you meant by the black levels being too high. Does that mean they are too black?
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 23rd Sep 2011 at 18:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Without the AddBorders() there's still a bit of black at the left edge. That's probably not enough to confuse ColorYUV's autogain feature. But if it does you'll have to crop that away too. Then add borders back later.

I don't do a lot of noise reduction myself. For all those other filters you can read the docs as well as I can. You can also search through posts here looking for examples.

Try using Deen(). The default settings might be OK. If not, try changing thry and thruv.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Sep 2011 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi

I'm not sure if you don't bother to read a little bit about VHS restoration here at Videohelp.

If it helps, take a look at
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322848-Scripts-and-filters-for-an-Opera-%28sample-v...os-included%29

This is a long thread about scripts for restoration a very damaged video.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You need to learn to use Historgram(). And CSamp is a very useful tool.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I currently use this to denoise my videos:

However McTemporalDenoise takes over 20 hours with a 1 hour 15 minute file. Is there any script which will perform the same function as the above McTemporalDenoise script which takes 3 hours or less?
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 30th Sep 2011 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Could someone please suggest a script that will fix the colours along with hue, saturation, brightness, and contrast and anything else like that and good white and black levels. Some files have dull colours, others are fine. I need a script which I can use on any of my videos which will normalize the colours so they look normal on all my videos. If the colours are already fine in some of the videos then the script should have no effect. Would the following script do that?: ColorYUV(autogain=true)

What exactly is luma and chroma by the way?

The script must take 3 hours or less with a 1 hour 15 minute file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The picture in some of my videos moves up and down every several seconds. Is there any way to fix that with a script? If so, could you please advise the best script to use.

Quote Quote  
  13. I already use this script which deblocks and removes the noise but it doesn't increase the picture quality.

Code:
    I know there are scripts that sharpen the picture but I don't know which to use and what script I should use.

Quote Quote  
  14. For noise reduction you can try TTempSmooth() and fft3dfilter(). There are several threads around here with examples. They're a lot faster than MCTD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you're using a slow filter stack with an intended 2pass encode, it's often faster to apply the filters use a lossless intermediate, then feed that intermediate into the final encoder . The reason is the slow filters are endured once instead of twice.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For noise reduction you can try TTempSmooth() and fft3dfilter(). There are several threads around here with examples. They're a lot faster than MCTD.
    I tried fft3dfilter with the default options but it didn't look as good as this McTemporalDenoise. I didn't really understand the fft3dfilter author's instructions. Could you please point me to one of those threads you mentioned or give me a script which will achieve the same as this (but faster):

Also when you said to use ColorYUV(autogain=true), will that have no effect against a video who's colours are already correct?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you're using a slow filter stack with an intended 2pass encode, it's often faster to apply the filters use a lossless intermediate, then feed that intermediate into the final encoder . The reason is the slow filters are endured once instead of twice.
    I have no idea what that means!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    when you said to use ColorYUV(autogain=true), will that have no effect against a video who's colours are already correct?
    That is not correct. Not every shot in a video is supposed to use the full range of luma values. For example a dark shot may have no bright areas at all. Autogain will brighten up a shot like that because it blindly tries to adjust the histogram to use the entire luma range. It doesn't know that shot is supposed to be dark.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    when you said to use ColorYUV(autogain=true), will that have no effect against a video who's colours are already correct?
    That is not correct. Not every shot in a video is supposed to use the full range of luma values. For example a dark shot may have no bright areas at all. Autogain will brighten up a shot like that because it blindly tries to adjust the histogram to use the entire luma range. It doesn't know that shot is supposed to be dark.
    OK, it's just that I've got loads of videos and I don't want to have to manually check to see which ones don't have the correct colours. Is there any script I can use which is similar to ColorYUV(autogain=true) that I can use on all my videos. So that when the colours need fixing, it fixes them and when they don't need fixing it doens't fix them (or it does but the colours look the same as before)?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    Is there any script I can use which is similar to ColorYUV(autogain=true) that I can use on all my videos. So that when the colours need fixing, it fixes them and when they don't need fixing it doens't fix them (or it does but the colours look the same as before)?
    No.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thought of
    Mpeg2Source("I:\New\1 = Test files\Dec 30 original test file.d2v", CPU=6) with
    Mdegrain1 or Mdegrain2 - http://avisynth.org.ru/fizick.html
    HDRAGC - auto gain control https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/258407-HDR-AGC-Filter-lighten-dark-footage
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    What exactly is luma and chroma by the way?

If you don't know what those terms mean, you're at a serious disadvantage working with AviSynth filters (or any color/levels filters, for that matter). A small part of this can be explained by a doom9 tutorial on post-processing in AviSynth:
    http://www.doom9.org/capture/postprocessing_avisynth.html
    A similar tutorial exists for VirtualDub, which many use for video correction and restoration:
    http://www.doom9.org/capture/postprocessing_vdub.html

But those articles might still be a bit difficult. IF you're going to clean up and improve tape sources (especially sources already subject to noise and some data loss by conversion to DVD), you can expect to spend much more than 3 hours on a 1-hr 15-min tape. Many members here could help by posting scripts for particular scenes, but no single script will work for every scene or every video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:35.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Take a scene with normal lighting conditions (outdoor scene ) take a black scene analyse both with the histogram and fix the levels, that'll be a good beginning for a good overall black/white levels imo.
    Fix the levels with Ylevels (see doom9 forum) which is an improved version of the levels filter
    Last edited by themaster1; 9th Oct 2011 at 11:39.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  24. I recently transferred some older VHS tape to digital and the picture has scratchings on it like this:

I mean it may look like just three scratchings but it's just on one picture and multiply it with 24 pics a sec and you get rather a distracting annoyance. So I was wondering if there was maybe a software that automatically fixes those things by let's say comparing it to the previous or next picture? Would AviSynth help with this?
    Quote Quote  
  25. see here (best solution imo) lucky star
    see also here
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  26. It looks like the DePulse() filter is specifically designed to remove those "comets". I downloaded it for the next time I have some video with that problem.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok thank you very much for support! First of all I must say this program is giving me a headache since I never worked with "text" program like this. I guess I'll need some time to get around it. DePulse filter option seems like promising solution and I managed to find and download it although it doesn't seem to be listed on that wiki plugins page.
    Quote Quote  
  28. http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Getting_started

Put the DePulse.dll file in AviSynth's plugins folder and it will load automatically whenever you open an AviSynth script. Your script will look something like:

AviSource("filename.avi")
    DePulse()
    Open that with any encoder that supports AviSynth script. Like VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  29. OK thanks! I'll try doing something around it.

EDIT: This is what I wrote

AviSource("k:\Converting\name of the video.avi")
    DePulse()

and saved it as .avs

But when I tried opening it in virtualdub it said it can't because: "depulse: requiers yuy2 imput" - so what now?

EDIT 2: hmm I found syntax on doom9 forum and it goes:
    DePulse(clip, h=180[0-255], l=60[0-255], d=30[0-255], debug=false[true/false])

but when i try to open it in virtualdub I get error message saying: Unexpected character: "["
    Last edited by Lucky Starr; 16th Oct 2011 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lucky Starr View Post
    But when I tried opening it in virtualdub it said it can't because: "depulse: requiers yuy2 imput" - so what now?
    Add this line before calling DePulse:
    ConvertToYUY2()
    or, if your source is interlaced YV12:
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)

I found syntax on doom9 forum and it goes:
    DePulse(clip, h=180[0-255], l=60[0-255], d=30[0-255], debug=false[true/false])
    but when i try to open it in virtualdub I get error message saying: Unexpected character: "["
    The "[...]" is not part of the syntax, it's an addition in the documentation to show the range of possible values for the parameters, eg h can be anything from 0 to 255. So you would just write, for, example,
    DePulse(h=180, l=60, d=30, debug=false)
    You don't need to supply parameters if the defaults are satisfactory.
    (In fact, the values shown here are the defaults.)
    Note that the clip input parameter defaults to the result of the last filter used.
    Last edited by Gavino; 16th Oct 2011 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote