VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As the title states, are there any downsides speeding up a video from 24 -> 25 fps? I am not adding frames, simply speeding up the current ones.

I don't care about the audio, just interested in what it will do to the quality of the video if anything.

Can speeding up cause artefacts, blurry video or any other problems for the video?

This is an animated video.

Tried checking the forum for other threads about this, but couldn't really find any good answer.

Thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited by leotwo; 14th Jun 2024 at 12:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by leotwo View Post
    As the title states, are there any downsides speeding up a video from 24 -> 25 fps? I am not adding frames, simply speeding up the current ones. This is to match another soundtrack that is 25 fps, since i don't want to start with re-sampling the soundtrack.

Can speeding up cause artefacts, blurry video or any other problems for the video?
    Simple speeding up does not create any artefacts. It just plays the original video frames at a faster pace.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, audio doesn't have frames (not counting compressed bitstream packets here, @pandy ), so "fps" only applies to the video portions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, audio doesn't have frames (not counting compressed bitstream packets here, @pandy ), so "fps" only applies to the video portions.

Scott
    Thank you for that totally useless response to the question i asked
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leotwo View Post
    Are you working on silent animated videos?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Are you working on silent animated videos?
    I'm wondering what could be a possible negative/downside for the video if It's sped it up from 24 to 25 FPS without adding any frames to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Yup, you totally missed the point: a 24fps NTSC clip with a runtime of 120:00:00 and a 25fps PAL clip of the same edit with a runtime of 120:00:00 is completely interchangeable in the audio, regardless of the video's fps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Yup, you totally missed the point: a 24fps NTSC clip with a runtime of 120:00:00 and a 25fps PAL clip of the same edit with a runtime of 120:00:00 is completely interchangeable in the audio, regardless of the video's fps.

Scott
    And you completely missed my question in the first post. Why are you commenting this stuff about the audio? It's totally uninteresting. I just want to know what the possible negative sides are for the VIDEO Is that difficult to understand?

Feel free to create a thread about audio and video fps and what works and not. But again, it's totally uninteresting to me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Changing the frame rate simply changes the time stamps associated with the individual frames, the actual data that makes up the shown 'images' does not need to change. => no quality loss
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Changing the frame rate simply changes the time stamps associated with the individual frames, the actual data that makes up the shown 'images' does not need to change. => no quality loss
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OP is working with silent animated videos
    Quote Quote  
  12. There's almost zero point to speeding up a 24fps video if you live in PAL-land, unless you're wanting to combine it with another video that's already 25fps, or something like that.

Virtually all "industry standard" PAL hardware players (Bluray players etc) and TVs with built-in media players are NTSC devices with the addition of PAL refresh rates and playback abilities, so they handle 23.976fps and 24fps frame rates fine.

The TVs and Bluray players here operate at a refresh rate of 60Hz natively (I know higher refresh rates are becoming more common) and don't actually switch to a 50Hz refresh rate until a PAL disc is playing. The Sony player here is even clever enough to switch the TV to 50Hz when playing 25fps video via it's USB input. I don't think the Samsung Bluray player does, but for 24fps it's better for the TV to be refreshing at 60Hz anyway.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 25th Jun 2024 at 02:17.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    There's almost zero point to speeding up a 24fps video if you live in PAL-land, unless you're wantig to combine it with another video that's already 25fps, or something like that.

Virtually all "industry standard" PAL hardware players (Bluray players etc) and TVs with built-in media players are NTSC devices with the addition of PAL refresh rates and playback abilities, so they handle 23.976fps and 24fps frame rates fine.

The TVs and Bluray players here operate at a refresh rate of 60Hz natively (I know higher refresh rates are becoming more common) and don't actually switch to a 50Hz refresh rate until a PAL disc is playing. The Sony player here is even clever enough to switch the TV to 50Hz when playing 25fps video via it's USB input. I don't think the Samsung Bluray player does, but for 24fps it's better for the TV to be refreshing at 60Hz anyway.
    Read the first post please
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by leotwo View Post
    Read the first post please
    I read it. Sorry for trying to ensure you weren't doing something pointlessly, but it's often the case that someone asking a question doesn't know the question they're asking is the wrong one. Sometimes it's the correct one, but sometimes they need to be dragged kicking and screaming to the right question, and sometimes they don't appreciate the effort others are making to help either way.
    Quote Quote