VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I got second hand ES10, and replaced all caps on PSU unit and 3 cricital ones on motherboard, but I got very low brightness on display, anyone knows why ? Is display done or I just need to replace some capacitors that I didn't on motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    Hi, I got second hand ES10, and replaced all caps on PSU unit and 3 cricital ones on motherboard, but I got very low brightness on display, anyone knows why ? Is display done or I just need to replace some capacitors that I didn't on motherboard.
    It is a common problem of the display.
    One my ES10's show the same behavior, gives no problem with the functionality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh okay than, I don't have any other problems either. Just that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    Hi, I got second hand ES10, and replaced all caps on PSU unit and 3 cricital ones on motherboard, but I got very low brightness on display, anyone knows why ? Is display done or I just need to replace some capacitors that I didn't on motherboard.
    What are the 3 critical ones on the motherboard? Or are you saying they were obviously bulged so they were just replaced? I hadn't heard of specific high failure rate motherboard caps on the ES10, so I'm curious. If you have a link to the thread that describes those, please post here. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
    Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    What are the 3 critical ones on the motherboard? Or are you saying they were obviously bulged so they were just replaced? I hadn't heard of specific high failure rate motherboard caps on the ES10, so I'm curious. If you have a link to the thread that describes those, please post here. Thanks!
    There are 3x fake ELNA RJX model caps on MBO and few on PSU unit, they are very low quality. On my list they are rated as critical ones.
    Those same ones died first on PSU they leaked and bulged.

as shown on pictures:
    https://ibb.co/r6Kk5pB
    https://ibb.co/v15NGm0
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 28th Apr 2024 at 23:49.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks! I've only seen people mess with the power supply ones or others that happen to be bulged. My limited experience does say that these DMR machines at least do consistently give external signs that they are bad, so even if you don't have an ESR meter, you likely can identify which need replacing at a minimum which is nice, though for reliability, I'd tend to just fully recap the power supply. They also have some SMT caps mounted upside down on the smaller green logic board which I replace as well, but there's a bit more chance of damaging something if you have less experience there. Not sure if the SMTs being bad affects the picture quality, but you'd think the engineers wouldn't have put them there if they weren't needed for something haha.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There is no need to touch those smt's they are fine, only if they are burned or dead. Just replace caps with some quality ones.
    I also recap the whole PSU as well plus fix the dvd doors they would not open for some reason, now it's working like a charm. I connect it to my JVC VCR yesterday and record few damaged tapes, picture is super, no stutter or anything.

here is my PSU that I recap (I put only top brands rubycon, nippon, nichicon) and all low ESR, cause they were not low ESR before for some reason(panasonic was saving on parts), and on PSUs and MBOs are recommanded to have low ESR caps.
    https://ibb.co/V9XDJN8
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 29th Apr 2024 at 08:49.
    Quote Quote