VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I have gone through several old posts here but none have answer for my issue.

I have captured around 4tb of MiniDV tapes with scenalyzer and now it gives me error that disk is full. Diskpart and windows says I still have room. NTFS GPT disk format, all good. Scenalyzer set to unlimited sizes.

Does it cache something or what? Also I cant figure why I cant remove all the acumulated videos in default view, I mean each time I start Scenalyzer it processes all files in capture destination. There I thought to reinstall it, still fail.

If scenalyzer does not understad win10, I tried WinDV. But, WinDv has no option to skip scene detection, it chunks DV tape in multiple files. Premiere is not an option for me. Some glitch. It hangs every time I change tapes.

Any advice on Scenalyzer? If not, any other small capture software that captures DV tapes without splitting files?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if Scenalyzer has a 4TB limitation. I'd just close Scenalyzer then move some files out of the capture folder and then bring them back after you've finished capturing. When you restart Scenalyzer, it will display only the remaining files in the capture folder.

Re WinDV, it will indeed capture one massive file. From my notes:

Set the discontinuity threshold. This is the gap between the scenes (which are defined by the date-timestamps on the tape) that WinDV will use to determine when to create a new file.
    ▪If you want a separate file for each scene, set the threshold to 1 (being a 1 second gap).
    ▪If you want to capture one day’s worth of video into 1 file, set the threshold to, say, 28800 (being 8 hours).
    ▪If you want to capture the whole tape into one DV AVI file, set it to 0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bola View Post
    I have captured around 4tb of MiniDV tapes with scenalyzer and now it gives me error that disk is full. Diskpart and windows says I still have room. NTFS GPT disk format, all good. Scenalyzer set to unlimited sizes.
    I never had this issue with Scenalyzer, but then i did not have 4TB captures stored at once.
    Also personally i like to capture in 2/4GB chunks so i can easily sort/throw away parts i not need.

Only one time i had an issue of incorrect set user rights for a disk so Scenalyzer had no permission to write to it.
    Did you test you can write/copy to the disk/partition with other programs?
    Possible you can run the checkdisk tool (properties: check now) to make sure there is no filesystem conflict.

Does it cache something or what? Also I cant figure why I cant remove all the acumulated videos in default view, I mean each time I start Scenalyzer it processes all files in capture destination. There I thought to reinstall it, still fail.
    Why keep all the captures in the Scenalyzer folder?
    After doing some capturing i move/rename the files to other folders on the drive, also to avoid possible "accidents".
    When you work with many files a better file-manager like Total Commander makes things easier.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 4th Apr 2024 at 13:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Small update.
    I created copy of all captured files on other disk. Then formated the first disk. Started Scenalyzer and guess what, I get the full disk error again. Fine, I reinstalled Windows and yeah. Ran Scenalyzer and it says the same. Harddisk full. At this point I am ready to purchace a firewire pci card for tower pc and try again. This is nuts
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bola View Post
    Small update.
    I created copy of all captured files on other disk. Then formated the first disk. Started Scenalyzer and guess what, I get the full disk error again. Fine, I reinstalled Windows and yeah. Ran Scenalyzer and it says the same. Harddisk full. At this point I am ready to purchace a firewire pci card for tower pc and try again. This is nuts
    Right-click the recycle bin on the desktop, properties, limit the size for each drive to 100Mb and click OK
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Weird, it must be something obvious, but i had a similar situation caused by wrong user credentials on the capture disks.
    As test try to start Scenalyzer with administrator permissions?
    Also set your your capture drive/folder user permissions to full R/W for "everyone".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for idea about permissions. Will test.

Yes, I have tried starting it as admin. No difference.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is not SClive problem, The system is reporting full disc to the program, Something to do with the way you setup your partitions during the OS installation, Find a local IT office and take your computer there to have them check your system.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    So what have I tried.

Permissions - same.
    Switched to other External HDD Dock station - same
    Switched to other HDD - same

Just out of curiosity tried internal disk, yes SClive picked up capture. So I can assume it is somehow down to disks, but what I don't have an idea. Same disk was working just fine and the other was freshly formatted and was never connected to this PC. Still it picks up something that he hates about my setup.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Can you copy any file to the external HDD's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just out of curiosity tried internal disk, yes SClive picked up capture. So I can assume it is somehow down to disks, but what I don't have an idea. Same disk was working just fine and the other was freshly formatted and was never connected to this PC. Still it picks up something that he hates about my setup.
    Indeed, something unusual must be happening when Scenalyzer is using the capture disk(s), because now i have been able to reproduce the exact same situation again here too on one of my external disks.
    I can copy files to it with other programs and even the Scenalyzer disk write speed test gives no problem on the same disk??
    I will test more later if i can find the explanation of this strange problem.

[Attachment 78468 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 78469 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Possible i have found a cause/solution to the irregular behavior of Scenalyzer when trying to capture.
    First i changed the compatibility mode to XP/SP3, this made it work capturing to the stubborn HDD/partition.
    Running as administrator also worked for me.

Then i turned off the User Account Control (UAC) and restarted the system.
    I normally had this turned off also on my other capture PC.
    This seems to solve the problem with Scenalyzer.
    Also creating a new capture folder with Scenalyzer now works, that also failed earlier.

Try this if it works for you?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for trying out.
    It didnt help me. All same.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for trying out.
    found this - If sclive stopped capturing due to a full hard disk, you can try the following steps to free up space:

Clear caches: Delete temporary files and cache data from your system. This can be done manually or by using a cleaning utility like MacCleaner Pro.
    Uninstall unused apps: Remove applications that you no longer use. This can free up significant space on your hard disk.
    Remove duplicates: Identify and delete duplicate files on your system.
    Delete system junk: Remove unnecessary system files and logs.
    Check for viruses or malicious software: Run a virus scan to ensure your system is not infected with malware that could be using up disk space.
    Verify connections: Ensure all hard drive connections are secure and there are no damaged cables or faulty USB ports.
    Check BIOS settings: Verify that your BIOS settings are not disabling the hard drive.
    Initialize the hard drive with the correct partition table: If your hard drive has been initialized with an incorrect partition table, it may not display the full capacity. You may need to reinitialize it with the correct partition table.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by October262
    found this - If sclive stopped capturing due to a full hard disk, you can try the following steps to free up space:
    My reading of the topic so far is that the disk that Scenalyzer doesn't like has nothing on it. It was formatted: post #4.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Yes. It is formatted just like it was when ir still worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for trying out.
    How strange indeed, I assume you have full user (admin) permissions on your system?
    And what Windows you are using?

But the more i think about all this now the more i remember from many years ago (10+) i have struggled with the same thing once in a while.
    My solution then was to create a NEW capture (sub)folder from within the Scenalyzer program itself and use that to capture.
    That also works for me in the situation i posted before here.
    If the Scenalyzer fails to create a new capture folder it has insufficient user permissions for that disk/partition/folder.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 19th Apr 2024 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Tried taking ownership of HDD. Nothing changed
    Tried Windows 10. This was also the first time setup when everything worked.
    Tried Win 7, no difference.
    Creating subfolder / folder within SClive works but doesnt resolve issue.
    Last edited by Bola; 21st Apr 2024 at 08:10.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bola
    Creating subfolder / folder within SClive works just perfect
    Thanks for this! Do other programs have control of the files in that "Scenalyzer" folder eg Virtual Dub or a video editor?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    No. The pc is fresh win 10 with nothing on it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Maybe a fake SSD flash drive.
    Test it with FakeFlashTest.exe
    https://rmprepusb.com/tutorials/007-all-about-fake-sd-cards-and-usb-flash-drives/
    Last edited by ProWo; 21st Apr 2024 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. The pc is fresh win 10 with nothing on it.
    have you tried reading the PDF guide ?? - http://scenalyzer.com/
    see page 14 scenalyzer can be run without installing the program. try that and see if
    you still get the disk is full error.
    Last edited by october262; 21st Apr 2024 at 05:43.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Yes. I have tried it without installing. The .pdf is where I started my problem troubleshooting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I remember i had this typical issue with Scenalyzer even back in the days with XP.
    Tried taking ownership of HDD. Nothing changed
    But the issue is resolved now with this procedure as i understand, yes?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry. No. It does allow to create folder but when starting capture - same.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arr, so this statement is incorrect:
    For the benefit of future visitors, I suggest you edit post #18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry. No. It does allow to create folder but when starting capture - same.

Then this may be?
    My (free available) capture disks are not that big to test here at the moment.
    Scenalyzer reports disk is full when it is not

Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    That setting is ok here. If that was the problem then it woudn't work all the same to this other disk, which is a 2TB M.2 SSD, and which is working fine. No, it is just this first 4TB SATA3 SSD which only Scenalyzer doesn't like, for whichever reason.

EDIT: Self solved kind of. Tried to split the 4TB GPT formatted SSD into two 2TB GPT partitions to see what happens and now it works. Not exactly what I had hoped for b4 purchasing the SSD but oh well.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 21st Apr 2024 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I had Sclive working with internal SSD in Win 10 64bit with default install with no problems, That PC has been decommissioned and the SSD is being repurposed so there is no way to go back and check it, Possible scenario is fake SSD.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Well, last thing I did was create the 2tb partition and new volume. And capture can resume again.

What I can say is the program works again. Thanks to all for ideas.
    Quote Quote