VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to transfer my Mini-DV with any of my 3 cameras and my Firewire PCI card and Scenalyzerlive software. But since I installed OBS to be able to transfer VHS tapes via my Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD card, Scenalyzer no longer recognizes my mini-dv cameras and it seems that OBS and the Blackmagic card are messing with it.

Screenshot of Scenalyzer devices tab attachment.

I tried uninstalling the OBS and Blackmagic software which caused them to no longer show up in the devices tab of the Scenalyzer, but it still doesn't recognize my cameras. I also tried to put another PCI Firewire card without success.

thank you very much for reading and helping me

[Attachment 72629 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. I have OBS installed and use it occasionally; good for HQ MP4 captures . My Scenalyzer still works fine, so I doubt that OBS is messing yours up. I'd put money on the Black Magic gear. The trick is how to completely wipe your machine of any traces of it.

On a related issue, if any of your MiniDVs have a Mini B USB port, have a read of my website here regarding DV over USB (scroll down a bit). If you could achieve that, it might bypass the BM Firewire hiccup that is upsetting Scenalyzer. You still "transfer" with Scenalyzer though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ferggue View Post
    But since I installed OBS to be able to transfer VHS tapes via my Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD card, Scenalyzer no longer recognizes my mini-dv cameras and it seems that OBS and the Blackmagic card are messing with it.
    Don't use OBS, use MediaExpress from BM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After several attempts to solve the problem I got tired and went for another insurance to get out of trouble. I created a new partition on my hard drive, installed windows 10 there and the Scenalyzer, but I kept my Blackmagic PCI-E Intensity Pro HD board disconnected in case some driver annoyed me the Firewire board or the Scenalyzer. It works perfectly as before. I get out of trouble but then I will have to see what I do with my real Windows OS partition.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by Ferggue View Post
    But since I installed OBS to be able to transfer VHS tapes via my Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD card, Scenalyzer no longer recognizes my mini-dv cameras and it seems that OBS and the Blackmagic card are messing with it.
    Don't use OBS, use MediaExpress from BM.
    I don't use BM's MediaExpress to capture my VHS because the image flashes black. From what I read, this error may be because I don't use TBC and the signal is not stable enough for the BM board. The funny thing is that in the OBS it does not happen, the image looks perfect... very occasionally a photo flashes in black but it is not constant as in MediaExpress.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Which indicates that OBS is inserting a lot of frames, You have to address the root cause of the problem which is lack of stability, A S-VHS VCR with line TBC or at minimum a Panasonic DMR-ES10/15 in passthrough is required.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the capture software cannot solve (except cases where is not properly configured or not adequate) the problem of dropped frames.

As already said, a better workflow is recommeneded.

And while there, also consider that the Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD card is not recommended for Analog SD capture, you could solve the original problem, and many others...
    Quote Quote