VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Win10 and DVD Shrink.

Over the Years I got a lot of DVDs.

I wanted to put just the VOB File on my Hard Drive so I can Watch it from my Computer.

I open DVD Shrink and go into Edit and then the Settings.

Then I go into Output Files and Un Check Split Files Into 1. GB Files.

After it was Complete I found the VOB File and Open it to Play it.
    It is not the Whole Main Movie and is maybe Half of it.

Is there another Setting I missed?

Thanks for the Time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you need to use something else to open & copy the disc
    such as dvdfab or anydvd. the disc may have copy protection
    that dvd shrink cannot handle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for getting back to me.

I did use DVD Decrypter in Win7. but in Win10 it does not work.

I do not want to Convert my DVDs to another Format.
    Is there any good Free Program for Decrypting DVDs?

I Hear DVDFab Decrypter is Free but after some Time it Stops and you have to Re Install it again.

I See Freemake Video Converter but I do not know if I can just Decrypt DVDs or if it Converts them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok I think it is a Setting I am Missing.

Like I Say I Un Check the Box that Says Split File Into 1. GB Chunks.

But it just make a lot of 0.95 GB Files.

This never Happened before.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep trying; I just got a single 4.5gb VOB with that box upticked and compression on Auto. Win 10 20H2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Being a long-time user and advocate of DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter .......I'd now go with getting used to playing MKV files a using MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Hech, that works well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you for getting back to me.

I do have One Settings I do not Understand I hope you can help?

In Settings There is a Settings that Says.
    Target DVD Size Compress Output Files To The Size You Specify Here.

And it has a Drop Down Box and one Option Says DVD 9. and it Says 8.5 GB and Right next to it is a Box that Says 8124 MB.

So I get this is Telling me this can make a File the Size for a 8.5 GB Blank DVD.

Then there is an Option for Custom and in the MB Box it Tells me to Enter a Number From 4. MB to 131072 MB.

This is Bigger then the 8.5 GB 8124 MB so what is this for?
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's just a way to specify your preference for a default target output size. Copying the ripped files to a small thumb drive might be one reason for doing so.

If you're ripping your DVDs to a hard drive and not burning them to disc again, you probably don't want DVD Shrink to shrink/recompress the video at all, so you'd specify a huge target size.

Here I've opened a disc with about 7.5GB worth of files. The target size is set to DVD-5. If I disable compression manually DVD Shrink will show it can't fit the files on the disc because it can't "shrink" the video.

[Attachment 59500 - Click to enlarge]

With compression set to Automatic it shows it can compress enough to fit on a DVD-5. If you select something on the left DVD Shrink tells you how much re-compressing it needs to do. In this case the video needs to be 54.3% of it's original size.

[Attachment 59501 - Click to enlarge]

If you set the target size to "custom" and something quite large, you don't have to worry about checking if DVD Shrink is trying to re-compress the video or remember to disable compression manually to stop it from doing so. I've set the target size to 50000MB here so DVD Shrink is showing there's no compression required as there's still lots of free space on my 50000MB "disc".

[Attachment 59502 - Click to enlarge]

Shrinking/re-compressing reduces the quality. Especially the way DVDShrink does it by default. No shrinking/compression means you're ripping the video "as-is" and there's no loss of quality.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Jun 2021 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for Telling me how this works and what it does.

But in Custom Box it Tells me to Enter a Number From 4. MB to 131072 MB how did you Enter 50000 MB?

Because it Says 4. MB to 131072 MB I thought it would not let me Enter a Bigger Number?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe you entered an extra zero or something, but 50,000 is definitely smaller than 131,072.

By the way, I used 50000 for no reason other than it being a large number. I may not have known you can specify up to 131072 because DVD Shrink only tells you 131072 is the maximum in an error message when you try to exceed it. I probably didn't, and simply chose 50000 because it seemed plenty large enough and it was an easy number to type.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Jun 2021 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well in the Target File Size Box I Type 131072 MB.

Then I Take the Check out off the Box Split File into 1. GB Chuncks.

Then on the Main Screen on the Compression Box I Pick None.

So with everything I did am I Right I am going to get an Original Copy with no Compression?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't.

Personally I wouldn't' rip DVDs that way if the idea is to keep them on your hard drive for playback.
    Give MakeMKV a try as hech54 suggested. It just rips. No shrinkage to worry about. The main difference is, it'll output an MKV containing the original video and audio, and any subtitles you might want to keep. Vob files aren't really designed to be "standalone" files.

For episodic DVDs MakeMKV should be able to rip each episode to an individual MKV.

I'll confess I haven't used MakeMKV myself in a long time and still rip with DVD Shrink mostly, but that's because I always re-encode them with the x264 encoder, eventually I'll have an MKV file containing the encoded video and audio anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thank your help it is working ok now.

But I want to Ask one thing about the Audio?

It Asks me the Audio I want to Rip.
    And it has AC3 - 4. CH. English and yes I know AC3 and how it works.
    And 4. CH. is 4. Speakers.

But it has for me to pick AC3 - DTS 5.1 CH. English.
    And I know 5.1 CH. is 5. Speakers and a Subwoofer.

And I know DTS is the Competitor of Dolby.

So if the First Audio in the List was AC3 - 4. CH. this is Telling me it was Recorded for me with 4. Speakers.

So how can DTS give AC3 - 5.1 CH. or is it Simulated?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have done a few DVD Shrink projects over the years, but for me it caused the odd pixellation/broken scenes upon close inspection of the output. I always used the sharp default output option(detail is excellent) and never went below 75%(compressed 25%). CloneDVD produced a slightly inferior and not as sharp image, but I had none of the aforementioned problems apart from minor blockiness. I've now abandoned using both programs and just use MakeMKV to preserve the source's integrity as the quality loss is too much when compressing with these other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I wanted to put just the VOB File on my Hard Drive so I can Watch it from my Computer.
    VOB2MPG is the tool for this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    Thank your help it is working ok now.

But I want to Ask one thing about the Audio?

It Asks me the Audio I want to Rip.
    And it has AC3 - 4. CH. English and yes I know AC3 and how it works.
    And 4. CH. is 4. Speakers.

But it has for me to pick AC3 - DTS 5.1 CH. English.
    And I know 5.1 CH. is 5. Speakers and a Subwoofer.

And I know DTS is the Competitor of Dolby.

So if the First Audio in the List was AC3 - 4. CH. this is Telling me it was Recorded for me with 4. Speakers.

So how can DTS give AC3 - 5.1 CH. or is it Simulated?
    You can't assume much about how the audio was recorded from that. It's not uncommon to find stereo audio and a 5.1ch version on the same DVD. It's effectively the same audio, mixed differently (as stereo or 5.1ch).

4ch can be stereo front channels with stereo surround channels. It can also be stereo front channels, with a centre front channel and a single rear surround. I'm not sure which one of those it's likely to be.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DVD Shrink works good now.

I wanted to know if anybody can help me Understand something?

I have a DVD from the Movie "Basket Case" from 1982 and I wanted to Ripp it to my Hard Drive.

So I use DVD Shrink and it lets you pick the Audio you want to Ripp as well.

It has Five AC3 5.1 Check Box.

And it does not matter witch one I put a Check in I get no Audio with my Video.

Then it has Five AC3 1. Check Box.
    And again no matter witch one I put a Check in I get no Audio in my Video.

I got this DVD I think 20 Years ago.

And it Plays good in my DVD Player.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you open the DVD Shrink output with MPC-HC and select File/Properties (or another player that'll tell you about the file contents) does it show an audio stream?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Do you have an AC3 decoder installed?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I always Ripp. my DVDs to my Computer and Play them with VLC.
    But this DVD after I Ripp. it to my Computer it has no Audio.

But Like I Say when you go to Ripp. the DVD it Asks you what Audio you would like to Copy.

And I always go for AC3 5.1 but now it does not play any Audio.

But DVD Shrink Asks me what Audio to Copy?
    And like I Say it shows me Five AC3 5.1 Audio to pick from and I did try every one of them one at a Time and none of them give me Audio.

And then it shows me a lot of AC3 1. Audio to pick from and none of them give me Audio.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Maybe the audio tracks are silent? Or only have audio during short portions of the video (why else have so many?). Switch tracks when playing with VLC and verify if they are all silent. Or open them in an audio editor like Audacity and visually see if they are silent throughout.
    Quote Quote