VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm sure that many have encountered the inevitable blank spots on home videos. They are those one-to-two second gaps of blank tape. The trouble is, that VirtualDub goes to a blank screen, when it encounters one of these. The video capture does not resume, once the signal returns. I need to re-cue the tape to that spot, and initiate a new capture.

My question is: Is there a setting that I can change, to prevent this? Or, is it a problem with the capture device? On a related note, I would like to be able start the capture, before I actually start the tape---so I don't miss the first couple/few seconds. I could always edit-out the blank portion later. But, this doesn't seem to work. I will get audio, but no video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is why one wants a full frame TBC for VHS capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not necessarily true. VirtualDub seems able to reacquire the video signal, if the interruption (blank segment on the recording) is not much more than a second. Longer than that, and it seems to give up trying. That was why I was wondering if there might be a setting in the capture mode.

Or, the fault could lie in the crappy capture device that I was using. I have better on-order. So, I will see if the issue persists.
    Quote Quote