VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the horizontal lines in a video like this

I've been searching the web to find options to use with AviSynth, but haven't had much luck.

I've tried many functions like the following:
    DeStripe
    TFM
    Yadifmod2
    and several others.

I only have a basic understanding of video so my experience is very limited. I am a little familiar with AviSynth scripts though.

Any help is appreciated.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Not easy. This seems to be a mix of telecine and blending to me. If you watch the result of AssumeBFF().Bob() you will notice both a 3:2 pattern and averages of two moments of time. I guess this is pretty messed up (and low-quality on top, quantization artifacts everywhere), so I doubt it's worth the efforts to try advanced restoration with SRestore or similar tools.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AviSynth, a little jerky:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Clip1.d2v", Info=3) 
    deblock_qed_i()
    QTGMC()
    SRestore(frate=23.976)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. @jagabo:
    I never used AviSynth. What software do I need to learn Avisynth. Is there a GUI for preview the filters? I know, that it is not easy to learn, but I am in video suff for many years now, I think I can learn this, and if it takes years and years - I don't care, it is my hobby. I will learn a lot.
    But only downloading Avisynth is not all. What else do I need?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would use stronger deblocking, but bobbing and sRestore afterwards is the way to go here.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it is a bad clip, but unfortunately finding a lot of the older Country music videos is pretty difficult, so you take what you can get.

I can't find what this is:
    Code:
    deblock_qed_i()
    Is it a typo?

I've found:
    Code:
    deblock_qed()
    Also, the script doesn't work well further along in the video.

I was thing of just somehow deleting the horizontal lines, if that's possible, and see what that looks like. I know there will be tradeoffs like loss of resolution, but compromises with have to be made somewhere anyway.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by ziggy1971; 25th Jan 2021 at 17:36.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ziggy1971 View Post
    Yeah, it is a bad clip, but unfortunately finding a lot of the older Country music videos is pretty difficult, so you take what you can get.

I can't find what this is:
    Code:
    deblock_qed_i()
    Is it a typo?

I've found:
    Code:
    deblock_qed()
    You can find it here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/399925-DVD-Inverse-Telecine#post2604110

Originally Posted by ziggy1971 View Post
    Also, the script doesn't work well further along in the video.
    You'll have to supply a sample. Music videos are often a mix of different frames rates as sources are slowed or sped up to match the music.

I was thing of just somehow deleting the horizontal lines, if that's possible, and see what that looks like. I know there will be tradeoffs like loss of resolution, but compromises with have to be made somewhere anyway.
    If you "delete the lines" what are you going to put in their place? Many options you can try:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    nnedi3(dh=true)
    Or

Code:
    QTGMC()
    or
    Code:
    vInverse()
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what horizontal lines? played with vlc.

[Attachment 56999 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what horizontal lines? played with vlc.

[Attachment 56999 - Click to enlarge]
    VLC is deinterlacing on the fly. And the playback is still full of blending artifacts and jerky motion.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2608712]
    If you "delete the lines" what are you going to put in their place? Many options you can try:
    Well, deleting the lines isn't much better/worse that 480i in the first place, right?
    You're still getting 240p either way.

I'm adding the full, untouched mpg file.

Please don't sue for copyright infringement...
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ziggy1971 View Post
    Well, deleting the lines isn't much better/worse that 480i in the first place, right?
    You are wrong. Good deinterlacing algorithms use both fields in areas where there is no motion -- so you get a full 480 lines of resolution (filters like Yadif and QTGMC do this). In areas of motion they vary depending on the algorithms used. It can be anywhere from 240 to 480. Or at least, the 240 lines can be more smoothly interpolated, better approximating the missing field. Compare Bob() on the left to nnedi3(field=-2) on the right:

[Attachment 57001 - Click to enlarge]

Be sure to view the image full size. Note the near horizontal bar near the right edge of the frame. nnedi3 delivers a more realistic estimation of the missing field -- the bar is smooth rather than aliased.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=ziggy1971;2608716]
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    OK, that was a gross exaggeration; not as intended. Generally speaking, a 480i is 2 240p clips weaved together, right?
    But then again, I've seen telecined clips and some of those frames are full 480p.

I'm still curious how it would look by removing the horizontal lines by deleting the lines of pixels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    part of the problem is that it was badly cropped/resized with black bars. the actual video is only like 660x430.

but yes interlaced vid is 2 half sized fields shown every other line.

[Attachment 57006 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ziggy1971 View Post
    I'm still curious how it would look by removing the horizontal lines by deleting the lines of pixels.
    Again, what are you going to replace them with? You can simply remove them with:

Code:
    Separatefields()
    But that will leave you with a half height video. And it leaves you with the problem that the even and odd fields are now in the same spacial position -- the odd fields are supposed to be between the lines of the even fields. You can perform a simple resize:

Code:
    Separatefields()
    Spline36Resize(320, 240) # or 640,480
    But that still leaves you with the odd field in the wrong position -- sharp horizontal edges will bounce up and down. Using the Bob() filter or nnedi3(field=-2) separates the fields and resizes them but in the correct spacial location.

All those methods are visually unappealing. That's why there are so many deinterlacing filters that attempt to do better.

And none of that will address the problem of field blending in your video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Again, what are you going to replace them with? You can simply remove them with:
    I don't want to replace them with anything. You're assuming I want to keep the same frame size, 720x480.

All I wanted to know was whether there was some way to remove/delete the horizontal lines, which means deleting every other line and moving the remaining lines up as you go (probably not the best explanation) So, in effect, you'd end up with a 720x240 frame size. No interpolation, field blending or anything else, just essentially deleting the horizontal lines.

I've been experimenting with DeScratch & DeStripe to see what they'll do
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    To talk about "removing" the combing, you first need to understand the reason why you see it: Because you see on a PC monitor at the same time what you would see on a Cathode Ray Tube (vintage) TV screen with a delay of time. First one half of all the video lines, "slowly" fading out, before the other half of the video lines lights up. That used to happen in the phosphors of a CRT TV set. But PC monitors and modern flat screen TV sets, especially with LCD screens, work in a different way. They show you everything at the same time, both pairs of video lines next to each other, and they don't fade out to blend their contents into each other.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ziggy1971 View Post
    All I wanted to know was whether there was some way to remove/delete the horizontal lines, which means deleting every other line and moving the remaining lines up as you go (probably not the best explanation) So, in effect, you'd end up with a 720x240 frame size. No interpolation, field blending or anything else, just essentially deleting the horizontal lines.
    Then just use SeparateFields(). That turns each frame into its two separate half height images. If you want to keep only one of the two images use SelectEven() or SelectOdd() right after. But your video will continue to have blending artifacts because the fields have blending from the way the video was made.

I've been experimenting with DeScratch & DeStripe to see what they'll do
    They won't work for interlace comb artifacts or field blending.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    To get full height interpolations of the fields, use Bob() instead of SeparateFields().
    Quote Quote