VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Using the EZCAP device to capture from old vcr onto virtualdub/obs studio. this is what im getting now. when i originally hooked it up it looked more aligned. i dont recall changing any settings but now all the videos look like this. any ideas?

[Attachment 55995 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 55996 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. this is what is looks like when i plug in the yellow video composite

[Attachment 55997 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An Easycap earned the nickname "Easycrap".
    It's a horrible item.

Even without the vhold skew, look at how terrible the video is. All the highlights are blown out, the colors are destroyed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    An Easycap earned the nickname "Easycrap".
    It's a horrible item.

Even without the vhold skew, look at how terrible the video is. All the highlights are blown out, the colors are destroyed.
    could this just be due to bad quality vhs? which capture device would you recommend in place of it?

EDIT
    https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-610-USB-Live-Digitizer-Capture/dp/B0036VO2BI/ref=cm_c...ustomerReviews

ive read good things about this one.

but what about the misalgined playback, why is that happneing. somethin to note is when i first hooked it up i didnt have that issue, but it randomnly started happening at some point afterwards
    Last edited by jayleonois; 26th Nov 2020 at 15:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. An Easycap earned the nickname "Easycrap".
    It's a horrible item.
    I don't think it is to much of the capture card as it is the playing side. Easy c(rap) is not much worse( actually identical) in quality than couple of cards that I tested like Avermedia,Dazzle ( highly recommended here ) or ATI capture cards ( which are long gone obsolete and useless in modern pcs) which are pci only and cannot be used on laptops or pcix standalone pcs. I used the same vhs tape on 3 cards and the quality was the same ( once you fiddle with the levels settings in vdub capture mode and color desaturation or saturation ) some cards use more vibrant colors some are more modest but the quality was always the same, lossless Lagarith 720x576.I l always use the es10/15 in the chain for sync.
    Concerning Windows 10 it is the standard os for the past couple of years and suggesting other older not supported os is asynchronous at least. Lordsmurf is very knowledgeable and experienced but he is suggesting some times some very old and outdated suggestions concerning os or capturing cards although he is wright about the capturing gear and hardware on the player side
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Easy c(rap) is not much worse( actually identical) in quality than couple of cards that I tested like Avermedia,Dazzle ( highly recommended here ) or ATI capture cards ( which are long gone obsolete and useless in modern pcs)
    Nonsense.

- Easycaps use reverse engineered Chinese junk chips
    - Dazzle isn't recommended.
    - Avermedia isn't recommended as a brand, and chipsets vary.
    - The recommended ATI uses Theatre and TI.

These are not identical whatsoever. It's like saying a cat is identical to a potato, because both are living things.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    These are not identical whatsoever. It's like saying a cat is identical to a potato, because both are living things.

One of your best comebacks ever, LS!

Thanks for the chuckle on Turkey Day!

Jayleonois, the skew problem could be from anywhere in your hardware chain. The EZc(r)ap may have gone defective recently (more common than you'd imagine), your PC may have burped on a recent Windows update thats now interfering with correct function of the capture software, and/or your VCR is unable to output a signal with these tapes that your capture setup can handle cleanly.

Post back with more details of your setup (VCR brand/model, PC specs & OS 7/10 version, where/from which vendor you obtained the EZcap. Experts here may then be able to help you troubleshoot more accurately. Note it is very tricky now for newbies to buy a "genuine" EZcap: most that you see for sale are generic, poor knockoffs of the "real" EZcap, and even new examples of the real one aren't always as decent as it was years ago when first introduced. Much of the advice you receive will entail spending rather more money than you anticipated: forums like this tend to recommend setups known for best results, recommendations for "just OK" setups are a moving target and much more subjective.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some VCR's have the option to display picture like that for troubleshooting purposes (pro VCR's though) as well as studio monitors, Post the model # of your VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about that, LS. A cat is like a couch potato...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Some VCR's have the option to display picture like that for troubleshooting purposes (pro VCR's though) as well as studio monitors, Post the model # of your VCR.
    it is a panasonic pv-4469. is this good or bad lol.

also let me add im not going for perfection here. im just looking to capture the quality thats left on the tapes. theres no way id become savvy enough to do all the proper editing. i was just trying following this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_TDa9zY1c&t=662s
    Last edited by jayleonois; 27th Nov 2020 at 09:05.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jayleonois View Post
    Not a great choice for capture work, no.

Overall Panasonic VCR build and video quality went up and down like a rollercoaster year to year, and within different model ranges each year. Some years there isn't a bad Panasonic at all, some years its highly variable model to model, some years Panasonic stinks on ice throughout the lineup. 1992 thru 1994 were overall rotten model years for Panasonic, in fact I'm shocked your PV-4469 still has a functioning loader slot. Panasonics of this vintage can be OK for playing tapes directly on an old-school CRT television, but their output signal tends to be a bit too unstable for some sensitive digital capture devices, often leading to excessive tearing and washboarding (tho I've never seen the complete split skew you have here).

The issue still might mostly be in be the EZcap, however. Only way to be sure is borrow another VCR from somebody, preferably a different brand altogether. If you get the same problem, its probably the EZcap, if the problem disappears, its probably your 4469 VCR at fault. Replace the device that causes the problem. Of course it might be neither, and your PC is at fault: also try another PC if at all possible.

VCR choices for capture can be highly dependent on the specific tapes. Generally speaking, the higher-end the VCR the better, but this isn't always practical or desirable. Good example would be six-hour long-play EP/SLP recordings: these often track best on midrange VCRs known to be esp good with long-play tapes. In that case you'd look for something like a Mitsubishi HS-U449 or 449 or its SVHS version 748/749. Second-generation duped tapes like concert bootlegs or family video copies have other distinct issues: these are so variable you may have to try three or four different VCR brands/models before hitting one thats most compatible with the least playback distortion thru digital capture devices. Note my emphasis: you must test each VCR thru your capture system (a VCR that plays perfectly fine direct to a TV can play badly distorted thru a capture device).
    Last edited by orsetto; 27th Nov 2020 at 10:54.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yep, that's a very common model VCR here in the US I see them everywhere, thrift stores, dumpsters, curbside ...etc Panasonic lowered the standards of quality to the point where that VCR was retailing for $49.99 and on sale for like $19.99, At this point I think it's the capture device is bad, it only takes one leg of the chip to lift off to create such a problem, Those easycraps are made in sweat shops with no quality standards or testing procedures.
    Quote Quote  
  13. thanks for the replies so far.

update - i still have the same out of sync visual issue when playing certain tapes, mainly older ones. but im having decent quality and normal looking picture with tapes newer and perhaps stored in better conditions (1992-99). Still same issue with the older tapes like 82-90. i think its still a possible combination of the ezcap and the vcr. both not highly respected devices here. i have the hauppage capture device coming so will test that out. if that doesnt work ill look for a better vcr hopefully under 150$.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by jayleonois View Post
    VCR choices for capture can be highly dependent on the specific tapes. Generally speaking, the higher-end the VCR the better, but this isn't always practical or desirable. Good example would be six-hour long-play EP/SLP recordings: these often track best on midrange VCRs known to be esp good with long-play tapes. In that case you'd look for something like a Mitsubishi HS-U449 or 449 or its SVHS version 748/749. Second-generation duped tapes like concert bootlegs or family video copies have other distinct issues: these are so variable you may have to try three or four different VCR brands/models before hitting one thats most compatible with the least playback distortion thru digital capture devices. Note my emphasis: you must test each VCR thru your capture system (a VCR that plays perfectly fine direct to a TV can play badly distorted thru a capture device).

so for my purpose im doing mostly home movies, some on vhs and some on the mini vhs-c i belive they are called. what vcrs would you recommend for these?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Assuming you've sorted thru all these tapes carefully, and have confirmed absolutely theres a distinct cutoff date range before which you get the skew and after which you don't: theres something really wonky in the older tapes that is giving fits to either the VCR or the EZcap (or both in combo). They might be dupes, or the VCR/camcorder that made them was out of alignment. You'll have to try different VCRs in hopes of finding a better match, or maybe the Hauppauge will cope with them better.

so for my purpose im doing mostly home movies, some on vhs and some on the mini vhs-c i belive they are called. what vcrs would you recommend for these?
    You might or might not need two VCRs: one optimized to the VHS-C, and one optimized to the older tapes. The first priority with VHS-C is to buy the best possible adapter shell you can find (unless the original camcorder is still working, then use that). The best adapters were motorized JVC version with metal parts, worst are the no-name generic all-plastic versions with no motor and a manual mechanism. Second VHS-C priority is finding a VCR that isn't bothered by the heavy clunky adapter shell. Very old bargain VCRs like your 4469 can be problematic: a sturdier built model like the newer Mitsubishis I mentioned earlier should be good, the wide-chassis semi-pro Panasonics are also good but tend to be more worn out and pricier than the Mitsus.. The VHS-C subtopic comes up here periodically: run a search for recent threads on "VHS-C digitizing" for good suggestions for adapters and VCRs.

Having a "quick and cheap" VHS capture system work well is 90% luck and 10% personal taste. Some people luck out, and feel they obtain adequate results with just an EZcap and any random VCR. Others who get hit with problems like yours burn thru multiple VCRs, multiple capture devices, and a couple TBC boxes in search of a setup that works well. Usable VCRs get more and more expensive as you climb up the ladder of features/quality: a good "plain" VHS like Mitsubishi 448 or Panasonic AG2560 will be stable mechanically and in video output but won't deliver as clear a picture as SVHS models like Mitsu 748 or Panasonic AG1970 (because they have multipin S-video connections), and the best SVHS models with TBC/DNR feature can run several hundred $ plus more $ for an overhaul. You can get lost in the weeds and empty your bank account real quick with this project.

Recommendations and advice for transfer setups haven't changed much in nearly 15 years: the good VCRs, capture devices and TBCs are mostly discontinued so not much info to update beyond dwindling repair options. The DigitalFAQ website run by LordSmurf is a bit more active and focused on VHS transfers than VideoHelp is nowadays, you should take a look at the sticky guides over there as well as related threads here.
    Last edited by orsetto; 27th Nov 2020 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Assuming you've sorted thru all these tapes carefully, and have confirmed absolutely theres a distinct cutoff date range before which you get the skew and after which you don't: theres something really wonky in the older tapes that is giving fits to either the VCR or the EZcap (or both in combo). They might be dupes, or the VCR/camcorder that made them was out of alignment. You'll have to try different VCRs in hopes of finding a better match, or maybe the Hauppauge will cope with them better.

a good "plain" VHS like Mitsubishi 448 or Panasonic AG2560 will be stable mechanically and in video output but won't deliver as clear a picture as SVHS models like Mitsu 748 or Panasonic AG1970 (because they have multipin S-video connections)
    will the picture be clearer even if I dont use the s video connections? I have just been using composite (thats all my vcr has). would switching to one of those vcr and using the s video connector result in an increase in quality just by nature or still depends on so many other things?
    Quote Quote  
  17. People are so intent on telling you what awful equipment you have that they neglected to provide much help.

Make sure you check the format settings for your EZCAP. You didn't say what model of capture device, but make sure that, if you are in North America that you have the format set to NTSC, not PAL or SECAM. Also, if you have an NTSC-J setting, change that to NTSC.

I couldn't find a manual for your VCR, but if it has any sort of time base (TBC) settings try turning them on or off. Also, if it has an Edit switch, turn that on (this usually only turns off sharpening, but it might also change the sync pulses -- this is a long shot).

Finally, if any of the tapes which are giving you problems are commercial tapes (i.e., tapes of movies that you purchased), it is possible that this is caused by the Macrovision copy protection. Those errors are usually not very stable (i.e., the image tends to tear rather than sync in an offset manner). If the problem is Macrovision, then your capture may be working OK, but not able to defeat the Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Okay so I switched from EZCAP to the hauppage. here is the first difference I saw with a video that was giving me trouble. (I also switched from virtubal dub to the hauppage capture software if that makes a difference because I couldnt get the haupage to show up under devices in Vdub.)

The other photo shows later in the video where I am still having issues. Is this snowyness a result of bad tape? or could a new VCR help out there too?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	56009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	56010  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    theres something really wonky in the older tapes that is giving fits to either the VCR or
    This is because VHS conversion has a recipe. Follow it.

VCR > TBC > capture card (ie, the workflow)

Not just any VCR, any TBC, or any capture card, but models known to work well with consumer sources like VHS.
    Some sort of TBC is required, it's not optional.
    For budget reasons, there are some shortcuts for building a good workflow, but each does incur a quality hit, and there will be a fail rate.
    Deviation gives you non-stop problems, and quality will be severely harmed.
    In terms of gear costs, buy it, use it, resell it.

This entire thread is caused by (A) lack of TBC, and (B) lousy cheap Chinese knockoff-chip capture card

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Make sure you check the format settings for your EZCAP. You didn't say what model of capture device, but make sure that, if you are in North America that you have the format set to NTSC, not PAL or SECAM. Also, if you have an NTSC-J setting, change that to NTSC.
    That's not a PAL/NTSC issue. That presents differently.

Finally, if any of the tapes which are giving you problems are commercial tapes
    His sample was a homemade camcorder video.

(I also switched from virtubal dub to the hauppage capture software if that makes a difference because I couldnt get the haupage to show up under devices in Vdub.)
    That was a mistake. You're now capturing compressed video. Quality will suffer.

The other photo shows later in the video where I am still having issues. Is this snowyness a result of bad tape? or could a new VCR help out there too?
    Perhaps. Depends on what is causing it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes that last screenshot is definitely a severe tape drop out due to wrinkling or damage to the magnetic surface, The way to tell is that the VCR DOC (drop out compensation circuit) is repeating the scan lines from the last good ones but there is no good signal so it's just repeating noise. Try to avoid those spots not only the capture card looses frames and lead to audio sync problems but the VCR heads could get clogged or damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  21. So I ordered this Mitsubishi u748 and am ordering an S video cable and will try again with the hauppage capture device (which seems to be a big upgrade over the EZCAP)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mitsubishi-video-cassete-u748/402549362021?ssPageName=STRK%3A...72.m2749.l2648
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    People are so intent on telling you what awful equipment you have that they neglected to provide much help.
    We have offered targeted advice: before replying we had him confirm these are not commercial tapes with MV and he is not having a PAL/NTSC conflict. He has also doubled back and confirmed there are two groups of tapes: some that present very poorly, and others that pass thru his setup OK. I was not telling him his equipment was crap, but trying to narrow down the likeliest source of trouble. Based on my own museum of a hundred VCRs, I can vouch that his Panasonic PV-4469 is a bad choice for digitizing problematic tapes. It isn't just that the model was poorly mfd (it was), I have personally experienced the PV-4469 vomit when patched thru a digitizing setup: it barely passes for perfect tapes and usually craps out with bad tapes. This is a typical vintage Panasonic VCR model range differentiator: any given model year, some have a more digital-friendly signal output than others (it depends on the transport variation). The EZcap would need to be evaluated with another VCR to rule itself out as culprit.

will the picture be clearer even if I dont use the s video connections? I have just been using composite (thats all my vcr has). would switching to one of those vcr and using the s video connector result in an increase in quality just by nature or still depends on so many other things?
    Even if the tapes are plain VHS, playing them thru an SVHS VCR using its S-video connections often improves the result at least a little in terms of color clarity and detail. S-video is a more sophisticated signal path, also SVHS tape mechanisms tend to be slightly better than standard VHS (not always, depends on the specific deck). You got a pretty good deal on the Mitsu 748: the free shipping could be worth as much as $50 depending how far you live from the seller, making the VCR almost "free" in that sense. Assuming its in proper working condition, the 748 is a good enough VCR to not cause major problems on its end, and help you troubleshoot issues elsewhere in the chain. Once you have everything sorted to minimum basic functionality, you can decide if thats acceptable or you want "better video quality". Some capture devices may require a separate TBC to avoid obvious issues like lipsync drift (and other less obvious issues). A more premium VCR than the 748, with built-in line TBC and noise reduction, can offer purer colors and less grain (but you'll spend six times what you did for the 748).

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    theres something really wonky in the older tapes that is giving fits to either the VCR or
    This is because VHS conversion has a recipe. Follow it.

VCR > TBC > capture card (ie, the workflow)

Not just any VCR, any TBC, or any capture card, but models known to work well with consumer sources like VHS.
    Some sort of TBC is required, it's not optional.
    We can repeat this boilerplate until we're all as blue as your namesake, but it only applies if the person seeking help has interest and budget enough to make it apply. Not everyone who posts with a problem stemming from their use of a "free" random VCR and $40 EZcap is going to be receptive to the idea they must drop another $1600 for a DataVideo TBC-1000 and JVC DigiPure. They don't want the $1600 result, they just want their Amazon-sourced dongle to provide the mediocre but functional results it advertised. Muddy color, a little jitter, some flagging verticals don't bother them: they consider VHS a prehistoric artifact, and just want it digitized to say they did it and discard the tapes/VCR.

Complaints tend to be functional only: rarely do they vaguely say they want their capture to be "better quality", mostly they can't get the capture to work at all (as here, with the bifurcated framing). People just google for what seems like a help site, they have no way of knowing a forum named "VideoHelp" is frequented mostly be enthusiasts and professionals who wouldn't be caught dead using the gear they need help with. Telling someone stranded with a busted Chevy that they need to "buy a Mercedes or forget driving" isn't gonna help them get the Chevy home.

For people with limited means or motivation, a graduated approach to helping can ease them forward. We really do not want to be pushing people toward a $1200 second-hand TBC and $400 used VCR until we've nailed down whether the tapes are that important or can even be played properly: the DigiPure and DataVideo cannot always magically make usable digital out of the trainwreck we see here. The TBC in itself will be worse than useless if the VCR source is something like the Panasonic 4469 with its shaky output signal: DataVideo is allergic to that sort of nasty input. And if the tapes are truly hopeless (dirty, creased or gnawed edges), no amount of money thrown at the problem will solve it.

Thats why I'll usually recommend a known-reliable, known-good-tracker baseline SVHS VCR like a Mitsu 748 as a first step: its affordable, and resellable at minimal loss if it doesn't help. If it does solve the issue and allows the EZcap to provide typical EZcap results the OP is satisfied with, great, if it solves it enough so he sees he definitely wants better quality, and he asks, then we can then push on toward the DigiPure and the DataVideo.

Its important to note here the "resale" environment will shift dramatically over the next few weeks. eBay is forcing a migration away from PayPal as seller's middleman into having direct access to your bank account. Buyer payment methods will change accordingly, putting ordinary occasional user-sellers into deep risky waters. Buying on eBay won't change much, but unloading gear afterward will be an absolute minefield as of 2021. eBay's existing "buyer always right, seller always wrong" policy takes on a new dimension when they can access your personal banking, and you're vulnerable to credit card reversals from hostile, inexperienced or fraudulent buyers. Plus you eat the shipping on even frivolous returns, as well as commission fees. Better to exhaust every low-cost option to verify our tapes aren't hopelessly damaged or badly recorded before gambling $1600 - $2000 on hardware we may have great difficulty reselling without losing our shirt.
    Last edited by orsetto; 28th Nov 2020 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I did numerous captures with no external TBC, I'm not saying it is not needed for certain tapes but I always try without it first and if problems arise I then use it, There is a misconception among non experienced members here that full frame TBC somehow improves picture quality while all what it does is correct the frame timing, If the frame looks fine, no audio sync problems then you're on the roll. If you got a bad tape, bad VCR, bad capture card or a combination of the above then a form of signal correction is needed, whether better VCR, better capture card, or a TBC/DVD recorder pass-through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @orsetto: No.

Not everyone who posts with a problem stemming from their use of a "free" random VCR and $40 EZcap
    The problem is not understanding what is entailed. This is a hobby. (Even people who insist it isn't a hobby are just lying to themselves. All DIY is a hobby. For example, I can garden, I can pay a gardener, or I can not garden at all. DIY is a hobby, period, it cannot be argued.) But unlike many hobbies, the tools required have resale value. So, again, buy it, use it, resell it. If the tools needed cannot be afforded, and DIY is still required, then save/wait. Don't just do a piss-poor job.

They don't want the $1600 result,
    This doesn't apply. Video capture isn't shades of gray. It either works (pro gear), sort-of work (budget option pro/semi-pro gear), or doesn't work at all (aka all the consumer garbage on Amazon/etc).

they just want their Amazon-sourced dongle to provide the mediocre but functional results it advertised.
    The advertisement was BS. Welcome to reality.

Muddy color, a little jitter, some flagging verticals don't bother them: they consider VHS a prehistoric artifact, and just want it digitized to say they did it and discard the tapes/VCR.
    Why bother transferring at all then?

Complaints tend to be functional only: rarely do they vaguely say they want their capture to be "better quality", mostly they can't get the capture to work at all (as here, with the bifurcated framing). People just google for what seems like a help site, they have no way of knowing a forum named "VideoHelp" is frequented mostly be enthusiasts and professionals who wouldn't be caught dead using the gear they need help with. Telling someone stranded with a busted Chevy that they need to "buy a Mercedes or forget driving" isn't gonna help them get the Chevy home.
    You misunderstand. Do you think I like spending money? When I go grocery shopping, I buy store brands and off brands. I use coupons. I only buy items on sale. But with video gear, I really have no choice. Groceries are the choice between good flavor, and almost-goof flaver (or sometime no flavor at all, like generic branded Cheerios that taste like the cardboard box it comes in). But with video, it's like eating either steak or dog turd. There is usually no in-between. It's not gradations of quality, but binary on/off, yes/no, quality/crap. With some exceptions -- there's always exceptions.

The TBC in itself will be worse than useless if the VCR source is something like the Panasonic 4469 with its shaky output signal:
    Workflows needed, not just random pieces (some good, some bad/cheap).

unloading gear afterward will be an absolute minefield as of 2021.
    Those complaints are overblown, lots of crying about instant Paypal payments vs. weekly bank deposits. Not that I suggest eBay as a point of resale necessarily anyway. There are many others.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Nonsense.
    - Easycaps use reverse engineered Chinese junk chips
    - Dazzle isn't recommended.
    - Avermedia isn't recommended as a brand, and chipsets vary.
    - The recommended ATI uses Theatre and TI.

I don't know about the nonsense but my Gambrid (Dutch company making in China) EasyCap was having the same picture quality ( identical ) ( i don't own the other cards now ) with the 1.AverMedia Satellite trinity PCIe A707 which uses better chip set Philips/NXP SAA 7136 e 1/g/ which some of the better hauppauge models use 2. Asus Tv card with Conexant CX ( i don't remember the model) which were(are) standard chips in the tv/capture world 3. Pinnacle 110 pci and this reversed chinase hold it ground with them. My standard (even today) playback side Panasonic Fs 200 ( ag 1980 eu) or Jvc 7600 trough Panasonic ES15/ES10 and I now record on that junk card on asus rog g752 i7 7700 gf 1080 ssd disk and the captures are great so I don't think it is much the side of the card as much of the playback side as op is clearly demonstrated with other card. It works under windows 10 with all the updates and no problems so far. Theatre was great card for its time ( not easy to find now and no pci in newer pc builds ) but using or suggesting Windows XP in 2020 is just obsolete sorry
    Quote Quote  
  26. Did someone edit their posts? I ask because two people have rejected the idea of using Windows XP but, in re-reading all posts, I never see that mentioned, even indirectly.

Or is there another parallel post to this one?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Did someone edit their posts? I ask because two people have rejected the idea of using Windows XP but, in re-reading all posts, I never see that mentioned, even indirectly.

Windows Xp was a great os but now its just old, not functional on newer platforms and to risky to use in this modern era of cyber crime. I strongly reject of using Windows Xp in 2020 if it is nostalgia then Windows 7 is much better. Windows 10 is used in 65% of pcs and is today standard os. Linux is also great but not for newbies
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Win 7 by far is the most stable and driver rich OS Microsoft ever made, They screwed it up when they moved towards tablet friendly Wind 8 and they kept dumbing it down to almost just for browsing internet, social media, phone charging, and reading flash media which what the average clueless person does on the computer nowadays.

With Win 7 I can still run my expersscard expansion cards in my laptop, Firewire runs fine with stock drivers, I can connect my SCSI DAT 3.5" drive with an adapter for backing up audio DATs, I can connect to my D-VHS deck and transfer D-VHS tapes or record them from hard drive using D-VHSTool, I can connect any backup or data drive ever made by just using the right adapters. Windows 10 on my other machine didn't have a clue about what I connect to it other than a generic flash drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did someone edit their posts? I ask because two people have rejected the idea of using Windows XP but, in re-reading all posts, I never see that mentioned, even indirectly.
    Must be another parallel post. I remember reading anti-XP rhetoric in another one, where you and I had participated.

WinXP and Win7 are best for video capture, period.

XP gives more choices in higher-end capture cards, namely for using the ATI AIW cards. (AGP motherboard best, because AIW AGP best. Tip: Asrocks with SATA.)

But several nice USB options for Win7 are stable (unlike 8/10, and the "oops sorry" updates every 6 months).

Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Windows Xp was a great os but now its just old, not functional on newer platforms and to risky to use in this modern era of cyber crime.
    - Video capture boxes shoild be offline, not online anyway.
    - The 00s was the era of video capture, heyday of best hardware. Most of it is OS locked: XP and Vista/7. Not 8/10 (must be forced, or just not possible).

Linux is also great but not for newbies
    Mint is easier to use than any Windows version. Perfect OS for general web/email/office needs
    Quote Quote  
  30. +1 to everything Smurf said. I've avoided a lot of video capture problems over the years sticking with XP. It worked when it was introduced nineteen years ago, and it still works just the same today. I sure get a lot done with it. Why would I use something that makes me spend time trying to get things to work?
    Quote Quote