VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC GR-SXM527U SVHS-C camcorder. It has a mono audio RCA output jack. When I try to transfer home movie footage from a VHS-C tape -- using the camcorder-- to my PC, the resulting audio is bad; it's extremely flat and there are no ambient sounds. I'm using a ClearClick VHS2DVD Wizard USB video capture device and software in this process. My PC is Windows 11. The source tape is fine and sounds great when I simply play it back on the camcorder. I use a "Y" splitter to try and compensate for mono video going into a stereo capture device. I would appreciate any help on this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    ClearClick could be your problem especially if using the supplied capture app.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make sure you're set up to capture audio at 48KHz, 16 bit, stereo, with no compression.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ClearClick earned the nickname "ClickCrap".

It's an overpriced POS, really nothing more than a fancy Easycap (aka Easycrap).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can control the overall audio levels with a slider, but there isn't much I can do insofar as the separate, individual ClearClick audio settings. The only settings that can be adjusted are "Pin Line Input Mix" (whatever that is) and "Master Input Mix." Each of these has a slider.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try using Vdub or AmarecTV capture apps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Try using Vdub or AmarecTV capture apps.
    I don't think it works outside the included junkware.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's part of the troubleshooting steps, just to isolate the capture software as not being the culprit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also try a another source with good audio to test if this gives better audio quality capture.
    Because the camcorder only uses basic linear mono audio, it will never be that great.
    To be sure check without any splitter cabling.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hi VegasDave, any chance of uploading an audio sample so we can hear the problem you're hearing?
    Last edited by timtape; 3rd Sep 2024 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timtape View Post
    Hi VegasDave, any chance of uploading an audio sample so we can hear the problem you're hearing?
    Hi, I've been trying to upload a video file that illustrates the audio problem, but I keep getting an "invalid file" message. I've tried several different clips and keep getting the same message.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post
    Hi, I've been trying to upload a video file that illustrates the audio problem, but I keep getting an "invalid file" message. I've tried several different clips and keep getting the same message.
    You have to make sure the file has an extension the site recognizes, and it's less the 500MB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hi VegasDave, which types of file have you been trying to upload?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi VegasDave, which types of file have you been trying to upload?
    It's an mpeg file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Also try a another source with good audio to test if this gives better audio quality capture.
    Because the camcorder only uses basic linear mono audio, it will never be that great.
    To be sure check without any splitter cabling.
    I have also tried digitizing a standard VHS tape that is played through a Mitsubishi HS-U545 VCR, and I still get the same terrible audio. The audio is fine prior to going through the Wizard device. I wonder if this is a hardware problem or if it's the Wizard software. Also: would the audio quality be improved by using S-Video output from an SVHS VCR (instead of composite video)? And, would there be significant improvement from using high quality audio cables, such as gold plated?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You have to make sure the file has an extension the site recognizes, and it's less the 500MB
    The clip is very brief, but how do I give it an extension recognized by the site?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post
    The clip is very brief, but how do I give it an extension recognized by the site?
    Rename it, change the extension. The list of accepted extensions is given in the Upload Files dialog:
    Code:
    Allowed file formats and max file size:
    3gp 500.00 MB
    7z 500.00 MB
    aac 500.00 MB
    ac3 500.00 MB
    asf 500.00 MB
    avi 477.30 MB
    avif 10.00 MB
    avs 500.00 MB
    avsi 500.00 MB
    bmp 10.00 MB
    cab 500.00 MB
    dmg 500.00 MB
    doc 500.00 MB
    dts 500.00 MB
    dv 500.00 MB
    flac 500.00 MB
    flv 500.00 MB
    gif 10.00 MB
    jpeg 10.00 MB
    jpg 10.00 MB
    log 500.00 MB
    m2t 500.00 MB
    m2ts 500.00 MB
    m2v 500.00 MB
    m4a 500.00 MB
    mka 500.00 MB
    mkv 500.00 MB
    mov 500.00 MB
    mp2 500.00 MB
    mp3 500.00 MB
    mp4 500.00 MB
    mpa 500.00 MB
    mpg 500.00 MB
    mpv 500.00 MB
    msi 500.00 MB
    mts 500.00 MB
    ogm 500.00 MB
    pdf 500.00 MB
    png 10.00 MB
    psd 10.00 MB
    rar 500.00 MB
    srt 500.00 MB
    sub 500.00 MB
    ts 500.00 MB
    txt 500.00 MB
    vob 500.00 MB
    wav 500.00 MB
    webm 500.00 MB
    webp 500.00 MB
    wma 500.00 MB
    wmv 500.00 MB
    xml 500.00 MB
    xz 500.00 MB
    zip 500.00 MB
    Or put it in a ZIP archive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The audio level is very low. Look for a line/mic level setting for your audio input device. Make sure it's set to mic. Also, adjust the audio volume while capturing to get peaks closer to 0db. If you amplify the source it sounds about like I would expect for a camcorder only a linear audio track. But it sounds like you have noise reduction turned on -- that is causing the audio to go silent when the levels are very low.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I'm unclear as to why I would set the software to "mic" when I'm transferring footage from a tape player. Also, I'm not seeing a noise reduction feature on the Wizard software, nor on any of my tape players/camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post
    Thank you. I'm unclear as to why I would set the software to "mic" when I'm transferring footage from a tape player.
    Because mic levels are much lower than line levels. If your source audio is at a very low level changing from line to mic will get you louder audio.

Also, I'm not seeing a noise reduction feature on the Wizard software, nor on any of my tape players/camcorder
    Increasing the audio volume (whether by switching from line to mic, or simply turning up the volume level for the input device) may be enough to eliminating the pumping from the NR AGC.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please see the attachment. Just to be clear, you're saying to set the audio to "Microphone," instead of "Digital Audio Interface," correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wizard settings - screen shots.pdf
Views:	7
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	82251
    Quote Quote  
  22. I assume you're plugging the audio cable(s) into your capture device, so no, "Digital Audio Interface (AV to USB2.0) is probably the input device you want. But there should be a configuration dialog where you specify the properties that you want to capture with, and/or the settings for the device. That is where you are likely to find the mic/line levels setting. Something like the Properties dialog in your image.

Note that many years ago it was common to have separate mic and line inputs, mic inputs had 10 to 20 dB more sensitivity. But now it's common for audio inputs to be configurable for mic or line. When configured as mic inputs they add an additional 10 to 20 dB gain.
    Quote Quote