VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. You used to be able to record anything you wanted with a VCR. Though just because technology has changed is no reason to strip away that freedom from people. But basically it is illegal to record externally copy protected content that is stored on your cable companies DVR recorder. A good response to that can be found by watching the music video "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest. I say, "**** the law!" All laws are written by and for the benefit of the rich and powerful anyway. If there are any members or mods here that don't like my attitude, **** you too!

I am still trying to find a way of viewing the copy protected content my DVR is putting out and seeing it on my computer. That is the hard part. Recording what your TV and computer is showing would be easy compared to that. I almost managed to do it with an HDMI loop through video capture card. That also had a USB port to connect to my computer. It cost around $20.00. It came with a small DVD disk that I took it had some sort of software for the capture card. Other software they recommended required you to enter a "USB Address." Which was gibberish to me. I was able to view on my computer what my DVR was putting out using VLC Media Player. But there was no way that I could get it to also play the audio. I could tell that the software was detecting the audio. But in the program there was a red X over the audio icon. Which means that it was turned off. I couldn't get it to turn on. So the whole thing was useless as far as recording content goes. So I returned it.

I tried to contact the makers of a couple other HDMI loop through video capture cards. Which are supposed to be able to capture video and audio. (Like the one I sent back was supposed to be able to do) They cost around 30 to 40 dollars. I told them about the audio issue I had with the video capture card I sent back and asked them if I would run into the same problem with their video capture cards. I have yet to hear back from them.

If there is a way to do it, cheaply, I will find it. If anybody out there has managed to do it, I would appreciate it if you would tell me what hardware and software you used to do it. Also, if as I suspect I get banned for even going into all of this, and you have an answer, feel free to contact me at the freethought forum. I go by "disobey" there. Join the forum and contact me. Let me know the answer if you have one. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many HDMI 1.x splitters disable HDCP -- they typically cost less than US$20. Then any HDMI capture device can display and record the signal. Here's one example of a splitter with reviews indicating it bypasses HDCP:

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Splitter-Out-Duplicate/dp/B005HXFARS/

Beware that specs may change with time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Many HDMI 1.x splitters disable HDCP -- they typically cost less than US$20. Then any HDMI capture device can display and record the signal. Here's one example of a splitter with reviews indicating it bypasses HDCP:

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Splitter-Out-Duplicate/dp/B005HXFARS/

Beware that specs may change with time.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at your link and looked at the HDMI splitter listed on Amazon. In looking at the description for the product, it says "Will not bypass HDCP." That is saying the opposite of what you said. Any explanation?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    In looking at the description for the product, it says "Will not bypass HDCP." That is saying the opposite of what you said. Any explanation?
    Some user reviews indicates it does. Maybe it used to bypass HDCP but no longer does. Or maybe the seller gives that warning because they don't want amazon to remove the listing. You'll have to take your chances or find another device to gamble on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    In looking at the description for the product, it says "Will not bypass HDCP." That is saying the opposite of what you said. Any explanation?
    Some user reviews indicates it does. Maybe it used to bypass HDCP but no longer does. Or maybe the seller gives that warning because they don't want amazon to remove the listing. You'll have to take your chances or find another device to gamble on.

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking into the matter further. It is said that some HDMI splitters will strip put HDCP protection. But I can't imagine how or why they would do that. After all, isn't the only thing they do is take a single HDMI signal and split it into two? Your TV doesn't need any HDCP protection stripped from its signal. DVR's already play just fine on TV's to begin with. Though quite probably TV's would work just fine if the DVR signal being sent to them has had the HDCP protection stripped from it anyway.

I could just get an HDMI splitter. But as I said, the last time that I at least got the video to play on my computer, I used a loop through HDMI audio-video capture card. Just to play it safe, I would also need to get an in line video capture connector. Preferably one that had an HDMI in on one end and a male USB prong on the other end to plug into the USB port on my computer. Unless you have tried it otherwise and found that a capture card wasn't necessary.

Which reminds me. Have you yourself tried to do what I am trying to do? (And if you live in the U.S.) Which to me doesn't make somebody a "pirate." Though that doesn't mean you couldn't be. It depends on whether or not you could record a signal that was compatible with supporting Dolby 5.1 surround sound. That would be a whole different can of worms to deal with. Though it would be nice, stereo would be good enough. Also, these days viewing things in 4K seems to be progressing. From what I hear, there are movies you can buy on UHD Blu Ray disks. (Though apparently the selection in that format is limited) But a normal DVD player that also plays Blu Ray disks won't play 4K UHD Blu Ray disks. You need a different player to play them. And I'm not sure if a 4K UHD Blu Ray burner is even commercially available. Though all that doesn't matter. Because I couldn't afford a normal Blu Ray burner to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    Have you yourself tried to do what I am trying to do?
    Yes. I have an HDMI splitter and an HDMI-to-USB2 capture device. With the splitter I can record HDCP protected sources like Blu-ray, Roku, etc. The capture device will not capture from those without the splitter.

But I can't imagine how or why they (HDMI splitter) would do that. After all, isn't the only thing they do is take a single HDMI signal and split it into two?
    No, that's not how it works. When an HDMI source, like a Blu-ray player, plays a protected product it negotiates an encrypted link to the receiving device. It first asks the splitter (or other device) if it s a secure device and promises not to record the signal and not to pass it unencrypted to any other device. If the splitter says yes the two negotiate a unique HDCP encryption for that link. When the splitter sends the signal to its outputs it's supposed to do the same thing -- query each receiving device and only pass the signal if the receivers are secure. It decrypts the input from the Blu-ray player, then negotiates another unique encryption for each receiver, just like the Blu-ray player would have done.

To get an HDMI license the manufactures have to agree to these HDMI rules. The splitters that bypass HDCP simply neglect to negotiate the downstream encryption and pass the unencrypted HDMI signal. Once they are discovered the have their licenses revoked.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Have you yourself tried to do what I am trying to do?
    Yes. I have an HDMI splitter and an HDMI-to-USB2 capture device. With the splitter I can record HDCP protected sources like Blu-ray, Roku, etc. The capture device will not capture from those without the splitter.

But I can't imagine how or why they (HDMI splitter) would do that. After all, isn't the only thing they do is take a single HDMI signal and split it into two?
    No, that's not how it works. When an HDMI source, like a Blu-ray player, plays a protected product it negotiates an encrypted link to the receiving device. It first asks the splitter (or other device) if it s a secure device and promises not to record the signal and not to pass it unencrypted to any other device. If the splitter says yes the two negotiate a unique HDCP encryption for that link. When the splitter sends the signal to its outputs it's supposed to do the same thing -- query each receiving device and only pass the signal if the receivers are secure. It decrypts the input from the Blu-ray player, then negotiates another unique encryption for each receiver, just like the Blu-ray player would have done.

To get an HDMI license the manufactures have to agree to these HDMI rules. The splitters that bypass HDCP simply neglect to negotiate the downstream encryption and pass the unencrypted HDMI signal. Once they are discovered the have their licenses revoked.

Again, thanks for the advice. You are both a gentleman and a scholar. If you are using the splitter you gave me a link to and are able to do what you say, it must work. And that the specs haven't changed. Unless its been a long time since you last used it and aren't sure if it still works. But based on your advice, I will get that particular splitter. Along with an in line video capture card with an HDMI input on one end and a USB output on the other end to plug into my computer. Once I get the things, I'll let you know if it worked or not.

My main reason for doing this is that there are a couple programs I have saved on my DVR. Both having to do with UFO's. There is a particular part in each one that is particularly interesting. That I wanted to save and share. I don't think that sharing just a particular segment of a TV program is doing much of an infringement of any copyrighted show. Though there may be a different way to do it. (I haven't checked) Which is to see if the particular episodes of the UFO shows are available on youtube. Because I could just get the parts I wanted from there.

Also, at one point in the past I had a DVR go bad. I couldn't get it to record any more. (Though it would still play what was saved) I had to have the cable company replace the broken DVR. Which means that all of the programming I had saved on it was lost. That was a real drag. It would have been nice to save the more interesting stuff to an external source.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The splitter I have was bought over 10 years ago on Amazon and is no longer available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089DSLMY/

When I bought it it was branded CVID.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The splitter I have was bought over 10 years ago on Amazon and is no longer available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089DSLMY/

When I bought it it was branded CVID.

That is strange. Then HDMI splitter you bought over ten years ago and is no longer available is the Ckitze BG-520 1X2 3D splitter. But the splitter you recommended to me in another link was the OREI HDMI splitter 1 in 2 out. The one that says, "Not for multi monitors and HDCP bypass." Was it just a wild guess on your part that it would do what I want it to do? If so, maybe I should look for a splitter that at least doesn't mention HDCP bypass.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I didn't recommend the OREI splitter. I just pointed it out as a splitter that might bypass HDCP -- because many user reviews indicated it did. Note that the listing doesn't say it won't bypass HDCP. It says "Not for Multi Monitors and HDCP Bypass." That's ambiguous -- it may simply be a CYA comment from a seller saying that you shouldn't use it for that purpose. Even a hint that it does remove HDCP. No seller is going to blatantly indicate in their listing that they bypass HDCP. Their product would likely be removed by Amazon if they did.

I didn't recommend the splitter I bought 11 years ago because I knew it was no longer available. It's useless information to you. This is a grey market. You'll have to do your own research and take a chance. Look for a seller that offers free returns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want to capture from HDMI and not care about the highest quality too much you could get some of those ultra cheap HDMI capture sticks?
    The older USB2 MS2109 based sticks bypass the HDCP, unlike the newer generations with MS2130.
    I bought a few of those (~€5) and can record from my HDMI cable-box without any problem using Virtualdub capturing the native MJPEG stream from the stick.
    Again, it is not a perfect solution at all with some weird quircks (mono sound) but possible it is sufficient enough to get things from your cable box and other HDMI sources.

Yoonn's Blog: $15 HDMI Capture Card Review

You can find some info about those (and newer) HDMI sticks on the forum here too.
    Question about $10 HDMI Recorder

And about the newer MS2130 sticks:
    Cheap HDMI Capture Device, is it worth it?
    Last edited by The_Doman; 29th Aug 2024 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I didn't recommend the OREI splitter. I just pointed it out as a splitter that might bypass HDCP -- because many user reviews indicated it did. Note that the listing doesn't say it won't bypass HDCP. It says "Not for Multi Monitors and HDCP Bypass." That's ambiguous -- it may simply be a CYA comment from a seller saying that you shouldn't use it for that purpose. Even a hint that it does remove HDCP. No seller is going to blatantly indicate in their listing that they bypass HDCP. Their product would likely be removed by Amazon if they did.

I didn't recommend the splitter I bought 11 years ago because I knew it was no longer available. It's useless information to you. This is a grey market. You'll have to do your own research and take a chance. Look for a seller that offers free returns.
    I see. Thanks for the clarification. And almost definitely you are right about the information provided. They probably wouldn't say that anything bypasses HDCP because doing so is "illegal." But even though I'm not a "pirate," I say, "Argh, shiver me timbers! But to hell with them!" Besides, as the old saying goes, "A fish rots from the head down."

Also, would you happen to have Brave browser on your computer? If you have Windows 11 or better, downloading it is no problem. But if you have Windows 7 as I do, downloading it can be a bit of a problem. I can recommend some software if you do use Windows 7. So if you do use Windows 7, just let me know. I can help. I used to have Brave browser on my computer. But then for some reason it stopped working. I had a hell of a time trying to reinstall it.

The thing about Brave browser is that for some reason it has a feature that no other browser I know of has. Which is the ability to have AI answer whatever question you have. Which I have found to save a LOT of legwork. In it I asked which HDMI splitters also bypassed HDCP protection. It just so happens that the OREI HDMI splitter you gave a link to was one of them. And the price isn't bad. So that's the one I think I'll go with.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    If you want to capture from HDMI and not care about the highest quality too much you could get some of those ultra cheap HDMI capture sticks?
    The older USB2 MS2109 based sticks bypass the HDCP, unlike the newer generations with MS2130.
    I bought a few of those (~€5) and can record from my HDMI cable-box without any problem using Virtualdub capturing the native MJPEG stream from the stick.
    Again, it is not a perfect solution at all with some weird quircks (mono sound) but possible it is sufficient enough to get things from your cable box and other HDMI sources.

Yoonn's Blog: $15 HDMI Capture Card Review

You can find some info about those (and newer) HDMI sticks on the forum here too.
    Question about $10 HDMI Recorder

And about the newer MS2130 sticks:
    Cheap HDMI Capture Device, is it worth it?

Though I am able to listen to things in surround sound, surround sound isn't that big of an issue for me. I tried to use an HDMI loop through capture card once. I was able to view on my computer monitor what was playing on my TV. But I couldn't get the sound to work. Even though I could see that it was receiving an audio signal, the speaker icon in the software was turned off. There was no way that i could find to turn it on. So I returned it.

This time I am going with an HDMI splitter as jagabo suggested. From there I am going to use an in line video-audio capture card that goes from HDMI in to USB 3.0 out to plug into my computer. In looking around on Amazon, I found a capture card of that kind that looks like it will work well. The price listed was $11.99. So that is the one I'll go with. When I get around to ordering all the things I need, I'll see how things work out.

Also, I found that OpenPass DCP software was recommended. So I downloaded it. But I don't know how it works. Having nothing hooked up yet, I apparently can't test it out. There is no way to open it and see its functions. Maybe just having it on your computer is all you need. That too is something I'll have to find out later.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No seller is going to blatantly indicate in their listing that they bypass HDCP. Their product would likely be removed by Amazon if they did.
    Except for the HD Fury line of yore -- are they even still around ? But I don't think they sold via Amazon . . . .

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I too bought a sampling of such hardware years ago. There may be further wrinkles and complications. It was my impression that HDCP 2.0 was extra deadly, in terms of being able to circumvent it. For that reason I'm glad all my hardware is of the same older generation as my Panny plasma panels, and only does HDCP 1.1. I never actually hooked up any of those splitter / stripper gizmos, because I did not absolutely need to. I could go out from my DirecTV sat DVR boxes into the Pioneer DVDRs, and record whatever I wished to, which I did -- and still do -- with some regularity. The caveats: it's limited to standard def recording; works because my older DTV boxes still have S-Video OUT ports to match the max. available S-Video IN ones on the Pioneer DVDRs, whereas later DTV sat boxes dropped offering those ports. When those sat DVR boxes finally pack it in, I may have a problem . . . although there are HDMI to S-Video converters, and I must have collected a couple. Then a splitter would also be needed, because the tv still needs to be fed signal as well.

I don't know that there's really any HD recording option, other than a good video capture card in your computer -- assuming those are still around.

I mainly use this older recording chain to save / store / xfer things that are not readily findable elsewhere. When it comes to movies and shows, usually in at least 720P but more often in 1080P (the highest res I can display on my older big screens) I've gotten very adept at sourcing them from various scene release sites or if necessary from torrents. Not that much eludes me from said sources. That has removed a lot of the need to record stuff here. I'm happy to have let others do the work on that.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    This time I am going with an HDMI splitter as jagabo suggested. From there I am going to use an in line video-audio capture card that goes from HDMI in to USB 3.0 out to plug into my computer. In looking around on Amazon, I found a capture card of that kind that looks like it will work well. The price listed was $11.99.
    Most of those cheap devices only output mono audio.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    There may be further wrinkles and complications. It was my impression that HDCP 2.0 was extra deadly, in terms of being able to circumvent it.
    Yes, that's why I specified an HDMI 1.x splitter. Given the age of the OP's DVR a 1.x splitter should work.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    This time I am going with an HDMI splitter as jagabo suggested. From there I am going to use an in line video-audio capture card that goes from HDMI in to USB 3.0 out to plug into my computer. In looking around on Amazon, I found a capture card of that kind that looks like it will work well. The price listed was $11.99.
    I'm not exactly sure how to post links like you do. But I will try to post a link to the capture card I ordered to connect after the splitter. As far as I can tell, it will support any sort of audio signal. As long as my computer can detect it, it can record it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CTMHLZF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As far as I could find out, the video capture card I got to connect after my splitter supports any kind of audio signal. If it doesn't work, I'll just send it back and get another. If that doesn't work, maybe the problem would lie with the splitter I ordered. This is the video capture card I ordered. (If the link works)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CTMHLZF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Quote Quote  
  19. Please let us know what you find.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Please let us know what you find.
    Will do.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Please let us know what you find.
    Well, you wanted to know what I found out. I found out that for the most part, I failed. Using the splitter I got and the in line video capture card, I was able to record off my DVR and save what I recorded on my computer. On my computer I am able to both see and hear what I recorded. I did it by viewing and hearing what I captured through my VLC media player. Doing that, I recorded it using the FREE Cam 8 screen recording software. Doing that I was able to save it as a video file.

But trying to convert that file to an MP4 file to save in a thumb drive doesn't work. It will do it. But when I try to play it off the thumb drive through my PS3, there is no sound. When I try to play the video through the OBS Studio software, it shows the video but with no sound. Apparently the video I saved is still protected by some sort of DRM protection. As far as I could find, there is no free software out there that will remove that DRM protection.

So, I am through with it. It looks like I will have to be sending back the splitter and video capture card. Apparently there is a splitter out there that "might" remove the HDCP protection through the HDMI connection. But they want around $50 bucks for it. That's a lot of money for a maybe. And I'm not all that motivated to record off my DVR. So maybe I will keep looking around for a way to do it. But I doubt if I will find anything.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    Apparently the video I saved is still protected by some sort of DRM protection.
    No, that's not the case. Is it only the MP4 file that has no audio? Do the earlier files have audio? Post full text mode MediaInfo reports on the files you created at each step.

As far as I could find, there is no free software out there that will remove that DRM protection.
    Since there is no DRM all the free conversion programs should work if you set them up correctly. MP4 is a container -- a box you put video and audio in. That video and audio can be any of several different codecs and other properties. It's just a matter of picking the right codecs and the right settings. Just because your TV plays MP4 files doesn't mean it can play all the codecs with all possible settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, you wanted to know what I found out. I found out that for the most part, I failed. Using the splitter I got and the in line video capture card, I was able to record off my DVR and save what I recorded on my computer. On my computer I am able to both see and hear what I recorded. I did it by viewing and hearing what I captured through my VLC media player. Doing that, I recorded it using the FREE Cam 8 screen recording software. Doing that I was able to save it as a video file.
    That capture workflow seems really bizarre/inefficient.
    Also we not know what format /resolution was captured with the card.
    First start using a decent capture tool like VirtualDub / VirtualDub2 , that should give some more control with capturing.

So, I am through with it. It looks like I will have to be sending back the splitter and video capture card. Apparently there is a splitter out there that "might" remove the HDCP protection through the HDMI connection. But they want around $50 bucks for it. That's a lot of money for a maybe. And I'm not all that motivated to record off my DVR. So maybe I will keep looking around for a way to do it. But I doubt if I will find anything.
    If you already get a picture/sound on your screen from your cable box then the HDCP is removed and the card works.
    You can easily test without the splitter to confirm.
    But of course you need to invest some time to learn using the software tools.

Besides, how long are you able to keep your old cable box before you need to return it?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No, that's not the case. Is it only the MP4 file that has no audio? Do the earlier files have audio? Post full text mode MediaInfo reports on the files you created at each step.

As far as I could find, there is no free software out there that will remove that DRM protection.
    Since there is no DRM all the free conversion programs should work if you set them up correctly. MP4 is a container -- a box you put video and audio in. That video and audio can be any of several different codecs and other properties. It's just a matter of picking the right codecs and the right settings. Just because your TV plays MP4 files doesn't mean it can play all the codecs with all possible settings.

I thought it was strange that the screen record file should have any sort of protection to it. I took that file and converted it into into a MP4 file playable on playstation 3. After that, I saved in onto a USB thumb drive. Putting that into my PS3 and trying to play it, it plays with no sound. As you say, I am probably doing something wrong in the settings. I even had trouble with the splitter and capture card at first. Until I found in the settings to have the destination be a USB port. Then it worked, that far. It could very well be that when I was messing around a while back with the HDMI loop through capture card I made the same mistake. Though with that it had a USB out port. So its destination couldn't have been anything other than a USB port.

All that aside, I'm going to be sending back the splitter and capture card. I'm no computer expert. All those possible settings and possible codec settings is just too much trouble to do what I want to do. Maybe I'll try again in the future. But as for now, I am done with it all.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    First start using a decent capture tool like VirtualDub / VirtualDub2 , that should give some more control with capturing.

If you already get a picture/sound on your screen from your cable box then the HDCP is removed and the card works.

Besides, how long are you able to keep your old cable box before you need to return it?

Maybe I'll give that virtualdub software a look. If I can find a version of it that works on Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  26. You really should! It's a great piece of software. This version works great for me on windows 7 64 bits.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/1727-virtualdub-filters-pre.html
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post

Well I looked at virtualdub. It looked like a load of crap that couldn't do what I wanted it to do. But I did decide to keep my splitter and video capture card. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I finally was able to save a test video to my thumb drive to play through my PS3. I got both video and audio. The problem was that the audio was badly out of sync with the video. But it does show that I am getting close.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Archiveuse_3000 View Post
    You really should! It's a great piece of software. This version works great for me on windows 7 64 bits.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/1727-virtualdub-filters-pre.html

I checked out virtualdub. It didn't seem to be able to do what I wanted it to do.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by cultsmasher View Post
    I checked out virtualdub. It didn't seem to be able to do what I wanted it to do.
    What does it not do for you? VirtualDub2 can capture video from almost any capture device. It can convert almost any video, from any container, any video/audio codec, to many other containers with many video/audio codecs. If your computer is fast enough and you use proper settings it can capture and save with the codecs in one step.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Well I changed my mind about sending back my splitter and video capture card, for now. I was playing around with some programs and was finally able to download a file into my thumb drive and have it play both video and audio through my PS3. The problem was that the audio was badly out of sync with what the video was showing. But it does show that I am at least getting close. Maybe I am using too many programs. I downloaded a program called GOM player. It showed all the videos I have on my computer as having something to do with GOM player. I didn't like that so I got rid of it.

I think the whole problem is finding the right software. I found that with some software the audio is turned off by default. And there isn't any way of turning it on. Now with the original test I did with the splitter and capture card through the VLC media player, as I said, I could view the file it created on my computer with sound and video intact. But I don't know what happened to it. If I accidentally deleted it or if the file got overwritten by Any Video Converter. That file came out as a AVCHD file. But it doesn't act like a normal video file. There are other programs I have tried where it tells you to drag and drop whatever video file onto their page. But with the AVCHD video file, it doesn't allow you to drag and drop that.

Maybe one of my problems, such as having the audio automatically disabled, is using free versions of whatever software. I would sure hate to pay for the paid version of whatever software and find that it still doesn't work right. I think what I need to do is email the creators of whatever software that may be helpful and tell them the problems I am having. Then ask them directly that if I got the paid version of their software if it would fix that problem.

It's too bad that there isn't anybody at this "Video Help" forum that could tell me exactly what I need to do what I want to do. From what I remember, you weren't even certain if my using the splitter and video capture card I got would work. Well, it did. On my computer. What I want to be able to do is export that video to either a thumb drive file that my PS3 will recognize and play correctly or burn it to a DVD that my PS3 will recognize and play correctly. Though if anybody did have such information, it would probably be wise for them to not tell me what it is in this open forum. Because those who create HDCP protection might get wind of it and make it so that approach wouldn't work any more. The best rout for that information would be through an anonymous email account. Such as the one I used to join this forum through.
    Quote Quote