VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All..

I've got my wedding Dvd out to shake off the cobwebs. it is PAL ..not NTSC

I've copied the vobs to a plex server...and the ratio is all a mess.
    it's shot in widescreen (20 years ago...this is huge....) but playing back..it all looks squished together...and i have black pillars left and right.

i'm guessing instead of 16:9 its reading 4:3 somewhere..

Any help please guys?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not familiar with plex but it might be ignoring the Display Aspect Ratio and just sees the 720*576 which is the same for 16:9 and 4:3

Try uploading the ifo file(s) from the dvd and launch the video from that rather than direct from the vob.

Otherwise use a progam called vob2mpg to create a single mpeg2 video from the vobs and upload/play that from the plex.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For a very long time Plex not supports DVD/VOB etc anymore?

Plex: Why are ISO, VIDEO_TS, and other Disk Image Formats Not Supported?
    Files such as ISO or IMG and folder structures such as VIDEO_TS or BDMV are generally referred to as “disk image” formats because they’re basically “cloning” the structure and content from a DVD or Blu-Ray optical disc.

Such formats are not supported in Plex.

Simply put, these formats just don’t fit into the idea behind the Plex ecosystem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other options include dvdvob2mpg and AVIDemux: open the first VOB from your VIDEO_TS folder, then AVIDemux will ask to add the rest of the VOBs. Set Video Copy, Audio Copy, Output format MPEG 2 PS Muxer.

If you still have trouble with the DAR in the resulting MPEG, you can use DVDPatcher to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    For a very long time Plex not supports DVD/VOB etc anymore?

Plex: Why are ISO, VIDEO_TS, and other Disk Image Formats Not Supported?
    Files such as ISO or IMG and folder structures such as VIDEO_TS or BDMV are generally referred to as “disk image” formats because they’re basically “cloning” the structure and content from a DVD or Blu-Ray optical disc.

Such formats are not supported in Plex.

Simply put, these formats just don’t fit into the idea behind the Plex ecosystem.
    Hi.. Thanks.. And yes.. it did.. but now doesn't. I don't see why.. as if it was there.. and is vob files.. it does play those back.. but you have to play one after the other...and not the menu/chapters.

(i'm pretty damn sure Plex could read that info.. knowing where which chapter was..and play it as needed...then also go from 1st 1gb vob to the next etc till it ends.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Other options include dvdvob2mpg and AVIDemux: open the first VOB from your VIDEO_TS folder, then AVIDemux will ask to add the rest of the VOBs. Set Video Copy, Audio Copy, Output format MPEG 2 PS Muxer.

If you still have trouble with the DAR in the resulting MPEG, you can use DVDPatcher to change it.
    I tried Avidemux... i'm toying with other settings to see if it will work...

DVDVob2mpg ...crashes on launch... so thats a nope

DVDPatcher... did the job.. without any of the other nonsense... i think the pic may be a little fuzzier than it should be.. (damn it) but the picture is now the right size...and not squished 4:3

however...one of the vobs (no2) doesn't load in the patcher.. as it doesn't have half the info at the top....
    all the others had full info..

this file still plays perfectly as a 4:3 and in the dvd.. so just need a way to copy the header info into it from file no3 or no1... if that makes sense..

Can you please help/anyone else?

Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	81730  

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux should work, as mentioned above by Alwyn. Copy the video_ts folder from the DVD to the HDD (SSD).
    Load the first VOB, Avidemux will offer to load the consective files.
    Set Mpeg-PS muxer ("output format", lower left) save the file
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1stvob.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	81734  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I always use VOB2MPG v3.1. It always works flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB files are most often useless and unnecessary outside of the VIDEO-TS folder/DVD environment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    VOB files are most often useless and unnecessary outside of the VIDEO-TS folder/DVD environment.
    For those old hard disk based DVD recorders, the only way of getting the videos from it is to burn into DVD. So, VOBs are the only source of videos. So, avidemux is godsend. It merge, trim(removing commercials) and no re-encoding(fast).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    For those old hard disk based DVD recorders, the only way of getting the videos from it is to burn into DVD. So, VOBs are the only source of videos. So, avidemux is godsend. It merge, trim(removing commercials) and no re-encoding(fast).
    I understand that....but while they are still on the DVD recorder's HDD....the video is just mpeg2 video. ONLY when a DVD is made is the mpeg2 video placed into VOB files.

Also agree....AviDemux is FANTASTIC software.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If Plex supports DVD disc image playback why don't you save a disc image using IMGBURN and play it just like a DVD disc with menu and everything? If not use an app that supports that like KODI or something.
    Quote Quote  
  13. use makemkv
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote