VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had a problem once and this forum helped me resolve it really quickly, so thats why I'm asking here for help again. I have a problem with VLC player but more accurately the colors of the screenshots I take with it. I use VLC as my main video player, because it rarely glitches, plays all kinds of video formats and it's really easy to take screenshots with it. However recently I started having a problem with that, because even if the colors while playing the video are normal, when I take a screenshot they are really dull with almost no saturation.
    [Attachment 81446 - Click to enlarge]

Now I also use GOM player sometimes so I decided to check if the result will be the same with it, but it wasn't. With it, the colors of the screenshot are the same.
    [Attachment 81447 - Click to enlarge]

So apparently the problem is with VLC because even whille playing the video the colors compared to GOM are a bit different (in GOM the colors have a the slightest bit more saturation).
    [Attachment 81450 - Click to enlarge]

So the question is what eactly might be the problem with VLC and how to solve it. I don't know if it'll help, but just in case here's a mediainfo report of the video I used for the example:

General
    Complete name : C:\Downloads\TV Shows\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.SEASON.01. S01.COMPLETE.2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.S01E05.Truth .2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA_muxed.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
    File size : 1.10 GiB
    Duration : 57 min 26 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 737 kb/s
    Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
    Movie name : PSArips.com | The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.S01E05.Truth.216 0p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA
    Writing application : clever FFmpeg-GUI

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
    Codec ID : hev1
    Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Duration : 57 min 26 s
    Bit rate : 2 523 kb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 608 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.39:1
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 23.810 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 24.390 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.017
    Stream size : 1.01 GiB (92%)
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    mdhd_Duration : 3446458
    Codec configuration box : hvcC

"I'm with you 'till the end of the line!" ~ Bucky Barnes
    Quote Quote  
  2. This video was encoded in a wrong way, missing the necessary HDR to SDR settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    This video was encoded in a wrong way, missing the necessary HDR to SDR settings.
    Well that actually was why I sought help the first time. I downloaded it, but it wasn't in an .mp4 format and I wanted to convert it with MKVtoMP4 but it kept giving me an error. When I shared my problem here (This is the link for the topic I posted for that problem: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414989-Problem-while-converting-MKV-to-MP4-with-MKVtoMP4) it was actually you who gave me the solution:
    Use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Download it, extract the exe file, start it and follow the instructions.
    Then load your video, click main, click multiplex, select mp4 as container, click multiplex.
    Done.

And the solution works perfectly. But I don't know why the problem with the colors in the screenshots occured...

Quote Quote  
  4. Color primaries, transfer characteristics and color matrix should be BT.709.
    Google for a way to change this colorspace tags without reencoding, with ffmpeg and the -bsf filter.
    I'm out, so i can't help you further now, but at my return the next days I'll come back to you.
    Last edited by ProWo; 14th Aug 2024 at 08:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here you go:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "C:\Downloads\TV Shows\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.SEASON.01. S01.COMPLETE.2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.S01E05.Truth .2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA_muxed.mp4" -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=1:transfer_characteristics=1:matrix_coefficients=1 -color_primaries 1 -color_trc 1 -colorspace 1 -color_range pc -c copy output.mkv
    This will convert all colorspace tags to BT.709.
    No recoding occours, just streamcopy and therefore fast.
    Your source file remains untouched, the new video is created in the ffmpeg.exe folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Here you go:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "C:\Downloads\TV Shows\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.SEASON.01. S01.COMPLETE.2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA\The.Falcon.and.the.Winter.Soldier.S01E05.Truth .2160p.10bit.HDR.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA_muxed.mp4" -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=1:transfer_characteristics=1:matrix_coefficients=1 -color_primaries 1 -color_trc 1 -colorspace 1 -color_range pc -c copy output.mkv
    This will convert all colorspace tags to BT.709.
    No recoding occours, just streamcopy and therefore fast.
    Your source file remains untouched, the new video is created in the ffmpeg.exe folder.
    Thank you for the advice, I'll try to do that (even if I have a problem with figuring out ffmpeg), but I still think the problem is somehow with VLC player and not the video itself, because with GOM player everything's normal. Still, thank you so much.

Quote Quote