VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use VideoRedo to reduce file sizes to send on Whatsapp etc, and have sometimes run into trouble with formats that Whatsapp/Android can not play.
    I have just done some testing to try and track down the problem, and it seems to be that our Android phones do not like interlaced.

To confirm this I tried to open some videos that would play, and resave them with the only change being to deinterlace. I tried both the various options on the main output profile screen (Deinterlace Auto/BOB/Smart etc), and also options in the advanced screen (Video Encoding Parameters > H.264 > Interlace mode > Progressive). Every combo I tried though still came out interlaced (checked with MediaInfo).

I could not for the life of me work out how I created the earlier mp4 h.264 files that MediaInfo showed as progressive, and did play on the phones.

I tried saving a MPEG4 .mp4 as deinterlaced, and this came out as progressive. I then opened this and resaved as h.264 and I finally had a h.264 progressive file again which played correctly!

Is this a bug within VideoRedo or am I missing something???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    There are two completely different issues under an almost same name:
    • interlaced content (the visible content of two fields in the video represent different moments in time)
    • interlaced encoding (the encoder treats the content of both fields more or less separately)
    These are independent of each other.
    MediaInfo reports the second one. It is not able to know anything about the first.

But instead of interlaced vs. progressive encoding, my guess would rather be that video decoders of mobile apps are limited in the support of a Profile@Level range. It might help to attach verbose MediaInfo reports of all your tested clips.
    _

There is an opposite issue in the Windows Desktop app of Discord. But my discovery here was that it is not the video decoder: The mobile app can decode HE-AACv2, Windows only HE-AACv1 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there's still an issue, why not continue in the original thread?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/415334-VideoRedo-not-converting-h-264-to-progressi...ays-interlaced)
    Quote Quote