VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've recently tried to capture my VHS tapes using OBS v30.1.2 and USB Video Capture Adapter Cable - S-Video/Composite to USB 2.0 from StarTech (https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/svid2usb232)

With the S-video I have this rainbow-like effect, any ideas on how to solve it?

[Attachment 80270 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. use a composite cable (yellow) OR use a s-vhs deck
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's probably a crappy capture adapter. I'd try something more consistently decent like the Startech video capture or the GV-USB2
    Quote Quote  
  4. The character generator in most VHS decks don't create a fully compliant analog signal. How does it look when you're actually capturing from a tape? And, of course, you shouldn't be capturing SD analog video with OBS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ForgerL View Post
    And what exactly is your S-Video source and how is it configured/connected to your capture device?
    You can see the common JVC VCR menu-checkerboard pattern but this looks a misconfigured cable connection.
    See also this topic:
    S-Video checkerboard pattern (JVC VCR)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks everyone for their interest and answers.

Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    use a composite cable (yellow) OR use an S-VHS deck
    With a yellow composite cable seems to improve, but I was told that the video quality is lower, so let's aim for the best one.

Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
    It's probably a crappy capture adapter. I'd try something more consistently decent like the Startech video capture or the GV-USB2
    It's already a Startech video capture hardware, or are you referring to the software?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The character generator in most VHS decks don't create a fully compliant analoge signal. How does it look when you're actually capturing from a tape? And, of course, you shouldn't be capturing SD analog video with OBS.
    I don't know what you are referring exactly when saying how does it look when I'm capturing, as the image is a frame of a video already captured. Furthermore, I've used OBS because in this youtube video seems fine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-n7IlrXI4), maybe VirtualDub is the correct option?. It is the recommended one then?.

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    And what exactly is your S-Video source and how is it configured/connected to your capture device?
    You can see the common JVC VCR menu-checkerboard pattern but this looks a misconfigured cable connection.
    See also this topic:
    S-Video checkerboard pattern (JVC VCR)
    Here is some more information about the setup:
    -JVC HR-J311 (PAL)
    -SCART device that has the 3 composite and the S-Video
    -The adapter and the S-Video cable was pretty cheap.
    -The composite ones where more expensive, they are 3 separate cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here is some more information about the setup:
    -JVC HR-J311 (PAL)
    -SCART device that has the 3 composite and the S-Video
    -The adapter and the S-Video cable was pretty cheap.
    -The composite ones where more expensive, they are 3 separate cables.
    That is a regular (mono) VCR, not a S-VHS VCR, so it outputs only composite, not S-Video.
    The S-Video connection on those SCART adapters can only work correctly if there is a S-Video signal available on the SCART, they not convert composite to S-Video.
    So only use/connect the composite and the two audio connections and set your capture device to composite.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 29th Jun 2024 at 04:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    And use Amarec TV, not OBS, because it's not suitable for that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ForgerL View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The character generator in most VHS decks don't create a fully compliant analoge signal. How does it look when you're actually capturing from a tape? And, of course, you shouldn't be capturing SD analog video with OBS.
    I don't know what you are referring exactly when saying how does it look when I'm capturing, as the image is a frame of a video already captured.
    What I meant was what does an actual recording from a tape look like. Capturing from the character generator of the VHS deck isn't the same as capturing a tape playing in the deck. The character generator does not generate a truly standard video signal.
    Quote Quote