VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me try and solve the problem I am having with my Toshiba Satellite laptop (running on Windows 8, 64bit, 1TB HDD, AMD A8) in capturing video from my VHS recorder using Virtualdub and OBS Studio. I am using a USB capture device which connects via the USB input from the VHS recorder via scart to composite connection. As far as I'm aware the device is enabled in device manager and it does work fine with Corel Video using the capturing option, but I cannot get the capture device to be detected in either Virtualdub (any version) and OBS Studio, plus other various programmes I've been in the past. No idea what could be the cause of the problem, maybe an issue with the capture device or drivers (though the drivers seem to up-to-date). When I open Virtualdub, selected a folder to save, select "capture AVI" and select the appropriate connection (which does appear in the list), for example composite, nothing happens, no black screen or anything. Same happens with OBS Studio, although there are a few rare instances where for no apparent reason it has detected the inputted signal, albeit there is no way of changing the aspect ratio and it frame size seems to be stuck in a 1920x1080, 720 etc wide aspect, it doesn't seem to detect the inputted aspect.
    Last edited by techmot; 21st Dec 2021 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    OBS is not for capturing analog video from VHS, Forget about it for good, Now for Vdub, did you try to run the app that came with the device just to switch the input from S-Video to composite, Some capture devices are locked to an input and vdub does not have the ability to change that, Also you can look up crossbar thing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    OBS is not for capturing analog video from VHS, Forget about it for good, Now for Vdub, did you try to run the app that came with the device just to switch the input from S-Video to composite, Some capture devices are locked to an input and vdub does not have the ability to change that, Also you can look up crossbar thing.
    I've watched videos showing how to capture from a VHS recorder using OBS Studio. As for Vdub, not sure what you mean by app that came with the device, I'm guessing your meaning the software CD?. The capture device came with a program called Arcsoft Showbiz which was originally installed in my older Win XP Acer laptop (which no longer works and I've no wonder why), and I think the capture program was still on it, but I never used the programme because everytime a tape would experience jumping it would bring up a "tape is copy protected" message and would stop the recording, which is annoying. Even Corel Video capture I have does this but not as frequent. Programmes like Vdub don't seem to have this issue. What do you mean by crossbar?.

Edit: Tried crossbar and I managed to get a signal. though the playback is very slow and stuttery, no idea why that should be.
    Last edited by techmot; 21st Dec 2021 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you come here for advice and help then do take the advice offered. While OBS Studio is (probably) capable of analogue capture you will be pushed for assistance here since it is not a recommended program for this.

Mow back to virtualdub. Firstly, do ensure that your capture device is shown and selected on the device menu. Then from the video menu ensure that either 'overlay' or 'Preview' is selected. Not 'No Display'

Now you also have to select a codec from the list of the ones you have installed from the 'Compression' and also ensure that all other options apart from 'Video Source' are correct. You see that there are many things to set up before you use the software.

If you have more issues I suggest you upload screen-grabs of each setting.

But you might also which to try AmarecTV as an alternative capture program which is easier to set up than Vdub.

If this also fails to show a picture then there is something afoot with the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If you come here for advice and help then do take the advice offered. While OBS Studio is (probably) capable of analogue capture you will be pushed for assistance here since it is not a recommended program for this.

Mow back to virtualdub. Firstly, do ensure that your capture device is shown and selected on the device menu. Then from the video menu ensure that either 'overlay' or 'Preview' is selected. Not 'No Display'

Now you also have to select a codec from the list of the ones you have installed from the 'Compression' and also ensure that all other options apart from 'Video Source' are correct. You see that there are many things to set up before you use the software.

If you have more issues I suggest you upload screen-grabs of each setting.

But you might also which to try AmarecTV as an alternative capture program which is easier to set up than Vdub.

If this also fails to show a picture then there is something afoot with the capture device.
    Thanks for the advice. I have managed to get a signal from selecting the crossbar tab, and I've selected a suitable codec from the list, but I'm getting very bad stuttering or lag, even my laptop's processor should be capable or dealing with the programme, or maybe there's something else I need to do.

As for Amarec TV, I am aware of it but it won't work on my system as Amarec will only work on 32bit and mine is 64bit, unless they now have a version that will run on 64bit. Well the program does open but all I get are these messages:

[Attachment 62483 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62484 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by techmot; 21st Dec 2021 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Turn Audio preview off
    2. 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit systems. It's the reverse that does not work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Vdub is a heavy program, As suggested try to disable audio preview (not audio capture). or try to find a working AmarecTV, Alternativly try CaptureFlux, it is not easy to be familliar with but you'll figure it out as you use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For AmarecTv select the top left menu and check the settings on graph 1 (Device) etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Vdub is a heavy program, As suggested try to disable audio preview (not audio capture). or try to find a working AmarecTV, Alternativly try CaptureFlux, it is not easy to be familliar with but you'll figure it out as you use it.
    Do you mean disable audio preview in Vdub or AmarecTV?.

As for Captureflux, but can't find the capture device, plus some of the options aren't in English. No idea why none of these programmes will work on my laptop. Why Corel Video capture will work but others I do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    For AmarecTv select the top left menu and check the settings on graph 1 (Device) etc.

Tried that but still won't work despite it being able to select the device in the options below

[Attachment 62485 - Click to enlarge]

Keeps displaying the same error message
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I can see why it does not work - there is nothing in the 'Input' box (should show at least Composite) and the 'Input Setting' is greyed out.

Your not by any chance also running Vdub at the same time ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I can see why it does not work - there is nothing in the 'Input' box (should show at least Composite) and the 'Input Setting' is greyed out.

Your not by any chance also running Vdub at the same time ?

No I closed Vdub down, I'm sure it isn't running in the background. I always close one programme down before opening another. No idea why neither of them will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No clue about AmarecTv now but I thought that Vdub was finally working for you. More confused than ever now.

But maybe this 'stuttering' is also due to other factors. Do check Task Manager to see where your system resources/memory is being used. For example, when capturing internet and other currently non-essential programs/memory-hogs should be turned of.

One other thing since you are on a laptop. You will always be competing with the OS for memory/disk access. Since you can not install another hard drive in that in might be better to capture to an external drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exact card is this? That matters.

Giving up on VirtualDub isn't needed. There are multiple versions, and multiple settings. Knowing the OS, and the card, can help determine what is needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi!

I read at the beguinning of your post that the software which was on the CD-ROM Driver was TotalMedia Showbiz

Here is a link to the installer of this software : https://www.ezcap.com/uploads/download/ShowBiz35.zip

Please note that you will need a registration key to install this software. There are many ways to find one, but this won't be allowed to discuss about it.

If you lost your registration key, there is something you can do if you still have your Acer Laptop. You can extrat the hard drive and try to plug it to a SATA or IDE (depending of the tye of your hard drive) to USB adapter. Then plug this adapter to your new laptop and then copy the Arcsoft folder from your old hardrive to the new one. Then you will be able to launch TotalMedia without installing it and inserting a registration key (this key is only for installation).

Then regarding the error message you had "your tape is copy protected" look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CDXjF1bqtc it gives you a solution for this problem (I personnaly never made this moification a I never faced this error).
    For those who don't want to watch the video (or if the video is deleted) just open the "CaptureModule.ini" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia ShowBiz\com.ArcSoft.CaptureModule" directory and then just under [CaptureModule] add this line : ProtectOn=0 and save the file.

There is also a patch available : https://www.ezcap.com/uploads/download/showbizprotection.zip (I never used it neither)

If you are looking for drivers, firmware documentation for your device you should check here : https://www.ezcap.com/index.php/support/download.html.

Once you have set your device with TotalMedia Showbiz you will be able to use it on VDub.

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No clue about AmarecTv now but I thought that Vdub was finally working for you. More confused than ever now.

But maybe this 'stuttering' is also due to other factors. Do check Task Manager to see where your system resources/memory is being used. For example, when capturing internet and other currently non-essential programs/memory-hogs should be turned of.

One other thing since you are on a laptop. You will always be competing with the OS for memory/disk access. Since you can not install another hard drive in that in might be better to capture to an external drive.
    Vdub is now working, but only after I clicked on crossbar. Strange I've never had to do that when it was working, which was a long time ago, may've been on my older laptop running on Vista when it did work properly I just can't remember. The stuttering is happening on playing of a tape regardless if you're recording or not, and there's nothing I can see that any other program is running in the background taking up the memory, apart from my web browser, which I doubt would cause the program not to function the way it is, and besides I often have my browser open when I'm using Corel Video Capture and I don't get this stuttering; apart from Corel displaying the annoying "this tape is copyright protected" and then stops the recording, everything works as it should, though Corel only captures in MPEG-2, which is abit dated when it comes that kind of thing.

I don't use the software program that came with my device, because it throws up the copy protected message at almost every slight jump (and I mean slight) and it's worse than Corel. Whoever developed the program did a poor job, because I can't think of any old tape that does not jump at least once, and 90% of my old tapes have deteriorated over time. I find that the paid programmes will have this macrovision type system on them, whereas the free/open source programs won't.
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Dec 2021 at 03:54.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Hunk91 View Post
    Hi!

I read at the beguinning of your post that the software which was on the CD-ROM Driver was TotalMedia Showbiz

Here is a link to the installer of this software : https://www.ezcap.com/uploads/download/ShowBiz35.zip

Please note that you will need a registration key to install this software. There are many ways to find one, but this won't be allowed to discuss about it.

If you lost your registration key, there is something you can do if you still have your Acer Laptop. You can extrat the hard drive and try to plug it to a SATA or IDE (depending of the tye of your hard drive) to USB adapter. Then plug this adapter to your new laptop and then copy the Arcsoft folder from your old hardrive to the new one. Then you will be able to launch TotalMedia without installing it and inserting a registration key (this key is only for installation).

Then regarding the error message you had "your tape is copy protected" look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CDXjF1bqtc it gives you a solution for this problem (I personnaly never made this moification a I never faced this error).
    For those who don't want to watch the video (or if the video is deleted) just open the "CaptureModule.ini" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia ShowBiz\com.ArcSoft.CaptureModule" directory and then just under [CaptureModule] add this line : ProtectOn=0 and save the file.

There is also a patch available : https://www.ezcap.com/uploads/download/showbizprotection.zip (I never used it neither)

If you are looking for drivers, firmware documentation for your device you should check here : https://www.ezcap.com/index.php/support/download.html.

Once you have set your device with TotalMedia Showbiz you will be able to use it on VDub.

Best regards
    Thanks for that.

I think the Arcsoft program may still be on my older laptop which doesn't work anymore (no idea why, just displays a bluescreen for a second on booting, displays the options showing safe mode, fix problem (recommended) etc and after an option is selected it nothing happens it just shuts down. Probably knackered.

The video link to get around the copy protected message looks great, but can this be done with Corel Video?.

I managed install the CD with the Arcsoft program on, restarted it and opened the problem, connected the USB device to my USB port, but for some reason it can't detect the video input (just blank), but it does detect capture device. What the hell is wrong with these programmes, they are a nightmare. My laptop must have some issues somewhere, or that my capture device is knackered. It is one thing after another.
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Dec 2021 at 04:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. try with VLC for testing (media>open capture device)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    try with VLC for testing (media>open capture device)
    VLC doesn't work either in capturing, used to work but doesn't now for some reason. It will detect the capture device but nothing else happens.
    Quote Quote  
  20. well use the software provided with your card then (safest way), something's wrong
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    well use the software provided with your card then (safest way), something's wrong
    Do you mean the capture device (ie Arcsoft Showbiz)?. That can't seem to detect the video input (ie composite/s-video) as video input is greyed out for some reason.

Screenshot below:
    [Attachment 62490 - Click to enlarge]

The drivers have been updated, so no issue with that. And capture device is connected correctly and the VCR powered on, and I've tried it in different USB ports but still the same.
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Dec 2021 at 05:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should answer lordsmurf's Q. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to VHS transfer. USB 2861 is probably a generic term so if you know the original name it may well help.

If you get the 'stuttering' even just previewing and not capturing you have a hardware issue. At the very least it could be Time Base Errors which are correctable with additional equipment. But we should see a sample capture only 20 or so secs is sufficient.

The 'copy protected' message, assuming that the tapes are not copy protected is also a sign of a weak signal between the vcr and the capture device giving a false macrovision report. Again, additional hardware is required to cure this. I am quite wary of these youtube 'fixes' and certainly not do anything that the member suggests without actually doing it himself.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You should answer lordsmurf's Q. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to VHS transfer. USB 2861 is probably a generic term so if you know the original name it may well help.

If you get the 'stuttering' even just previewing and not capturing you have a hardware issue. At the very least it could be Time Base Errors which are correctable with additional equipment. But we should see a sample capture only 20 or so secs is sufficient.

The 'copy protected' message, assuming that the tapes are not copy protected is also a sign of a weak signal between the vcr and the capture device giving a false macrovision report. Again, additional hardware is required to cure this. I am quite wary of these youtube 'fixes' and certainly not do anything that the member suggests without actually doing it himself.
    Thanks for that. What hardware issue could that be?. Maybe the cables I'm using are faulty. The capture device is a Climax Digital USB plug in capture device. That's all I know really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I briefly explained the possible hardware issues.

Can you upload the sample capture from vdub as an attachment ?

I'll let ls respond re the Climax Digital device just in case I have it wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I briefly explained the possible hardware issues.

Can you upload the sample capture from vdub as an attachment ?

I'll let ls respond re the Climax Digital device just in case I have it wrong.
    I can upload a screenshot of the screen, but obviously can't show the stuttering I am getting from Vdub, unless I upload a video.
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Dec 2021 at 05:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No screenshot. An actual video pls.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No screenshot. An actual video pls.
    I'm now getting this message on capturing:
    [Attachment 62493 - Click to enlarge]

This has to be a wind up lol.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure Capture Pin (Video menu) is set to 720*576 and not the default 360*288

But as I previously stated you might want to post screen grabs of each setting selected on the Video menu
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Make sure Capture Pin (Video menu) is set to 720*576 and not the default 360*288

But as I previously stated you might want to post screen grabs of each setting selected on the Video menu
    I've gone to Capture Pin and selected 720x576 but still comes up with the same error message upon trying to capture. Strange it wasn't doing this yesterday when I posted that I was having problems getting a signal, now all of a sudden despite nothing being changed I am getting this error message. Something seems to be malfunctioning or maybe malware that's on my system (no idea). Maybe the other capture programmes are conflicting with each other. Why is it that only Corel Video capture will work? (minus the copy protection message which disrupts the recording)?. If it was hardware malfunction I would expect Corel not to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 'copy protection' message is a hardware malfunction. I thought I had already explained that.

Well something must have changed. Maybe not directly by you but due to testing other software. So go through all the settings. If you do not understand any of them post back with the appropriate screen-shots. Pretty difficult to diagnose otherwise except that the capture device is as sh*ty as I suspect it to be. lordsmurf will sure have an opinion about that and you may wish to wait until he comes back on here.
    Quote Quote