VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an MKV file that contains:
    video: MPEG-1/2
    audio: three different tracks, all AC-3.
    How do I extract the video and one of those AC3 tracks out of the MKV file without re-encoding the quality? I have tried MKVToolNix GUI and deselecting the two unwanted AC3 tracks, but I just end up with another MKV file. I want the result to be .mpg and .ac3. How do I achieve that? Please tell me step by step how.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVIDemux. My guide here. Use the MOV to MP4 guide, but in the Video output, choose MPEG 2 PS Muxer.

Also, go into the Audio menu and deselect the tracks you don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    I have tried MKVToolNix GUI and deselecting the two unwanted AC3 tracks, but I just end up with another MKV file.
    You could use mkvextract, preferably with a GUI.
    But the program will give you only an elementary stream (a .m2v file).
    So you should use ffmpeg for remuxing, i.e., for creating a .mpg file. If you don't like the command-line interface, there exists a Clever FFMPEG-GUI.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    AVIDemux. My guide here. Use the MOV to MP4 guide, but in the Video output, choose MPEG 2 PS Muxer.

Also, go into the Audio menu and deselect the tracks you don't want.
    Thank you for replying. I followed your instructions, but there is no MPEG 2 PS Muxer in the Video Output dropdown menu. There is one called Mpeg2 (ff). And what should I choose in Output Format? The choices are: AVI Muxer, Dummy Muxer, FLV Muxer, MKV Muxer, MOV Muxer, MP4 Muxer, MP4v2 Muxer, Mpeg TS Muxer (ff), Mpeg-PS Muxer( ff), Video Only, WebM Muxer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    I have tried MKVToolNix GUI and deselecting the two unwanted AC3 tracks, but I just end up with another MKV file.
    You could use mkvextract, preferably with a GUI.
    But the program will give you only an elementary stream (a .m2v file).
    So you should use ffmpeg for remuxing, i.e., for creating a .mpg file. If you don't like the command-line interface, there exists a Clever FFMPEG-GUI.
    What do I click on in Clever FFMPEG-GUI to demux it to Mpeg2? Sorry, I'm dumb.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    What do I click on in Clever FFMPEG-GUI to demux it to Mpeg2? Sorry, I'm dumb.
    Click main, extract streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Inviska MKV Extract You can extract which ever track you want as in your case MPEG2, just click to select the track and go! Simple and works
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-29 085726.png
Views:	6
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	80284  

Last edited by netmask56; 28th Jun 2024 at 17:59.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's here:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	avidemux1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	80283  

Quote Quote  
  9. With ffmpeg you can use a command line like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "output.mpg"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed your instructions, but there is no MPEG 2 PS Muxer in the Video Output dropdown menu. There is one called Mpeg2 (ff). And what should I choose in Output Format?
    Sorry, I was shooting from the hip. Davexnet has it.

I meant "Output Format". As per my diagram, set Output Format to "MPEG2 PS Muxer". The Video and Audio Outputs should be on "Copy".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With Inviska it outputs what ever the track format is within the MKV container - no selecting or any other fiddling about with command lines. Just select the track you want to extract and away you go, takes about 3 minutes. You can do batch extracts if need be etc etc.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It's here:
    Thanks, it's working now! Thank you and everyone else for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Alternatively if you want a easier to use method with batch functionality I would go InviskaMKVExtract.
    Last edited by TE16; 29th Jun 2024 at 07:12. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote