VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In Selur Hybrid, I see that one can use the regular resizer at Crop Resize > Base > Picture Resize. There is another place where one can override that resizer tool at Filtering > Vapoursynth > Frame > Resize.

I generate scripts for each option to better understand. Looking at the generated script I see that this is the first option...
    # Resizing using 10 - bicubic spline
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, kernel="spline16", w=1440, h=1054, interlaced=False, interlacedd=False) # resolution 1440x1054 before YUV422P8 after YUV422P16
    ...and this is the second option:
    # resizing using NNEDI3CL
    # current: 704x468 target: 1440x1054 -> pow: 4
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4, nsize=3, nns=4) # 2816x1872
    I read this about different resizing options at this forum:
    Regarding which algorithm to use for resizing: Bilinear is the least sharp. Spline64() is sharper. Lanczos is the sharpest. If your source is very sharp you may want to avoid the sharper resizers as they will produce oversharpening halos and aliasing artifacts. Bilinear will reduce oversharpening halos a bit. Use whatever is appropriate for your video.
    My question is what is the relationship between Bilinear/Spline64/Lanczos (on the one side) and NNEDI3CL (on the other)? Are they equivalent? Or is NNEDI3CL a different type of thing, which is why it appears in a different area of Hybrid alongside those AI models like VSGAN? And most importantly, which one is most recommended for home video style footage (not animation)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Resize > Base > Picture Resize
    This is list of resizers that is mapped to all possible processes (using just MPlayer, FFmpeg, Avisynth, Vapoursynth).

Filtering > Vapoursynth > Frame > Resize.
    This replaces the resizer under 'Resize > Base > Picture Resize' with a specific Vapoursynth resizer.
    Filtering > Avisynth > Frame > Resize.
    This replaces the resizer under 'Resize > Base > Picture Resize' with a specific Avisynth resizer.

And most importantly, which one is most recommended for home video style footage (not animation)?
    I preferred NNEDI3 when upscaling by more than 50% and wanting the resizer just to just upscale (no additional filtering).
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote