VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure if this is a new problem bit I just noticed it the other day. If I have "Fix common OCR errors" switched on then it removes every singe lone "I". So "I don't want to go there." becomes "don't want to go there."....but if I turn it off then I spend way too much time correcting the OCR seeing small case "L" as uppercase "I" so I'll becomes I'II and tell becomes teII. Wouldn't be so bad but if you correct it and select change all it doesn't....the same errors repeat over and over and over making it painfully long to OCR a sub.

So it's a circular conundrum....on or off it is creating errors. Seems to me the lone "I" should be fixable. Is this because I just got the latest SE the other day, because I never noticed this before? The newer Tesseract is definitely faster but is it the culprit here?

I don't know what to do here. I no longer trust my subs and I don't have time to go line by line looking for errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Weird. Maybe something's off in the word lists?
    If you're okay with losing all your settings, worth a try de-installing SE and removing possible leftover folder
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit. After, re-install latest version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I would re-install but I don't want to loose all my word lists etc. because I have corrected a lot of capitalizations that I think should be standard but are not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt SE suffers from your mentioned issue by default. You can first backup your word lists somewhere and do the procedure I mentioned. Be careful ! and be 100% positive you've got the right lists backed up. After clean re-install don't restore the back-up yet, but try if the issue persists. Probably not.
    If the issue pops up again after restoring your lists, it's probably a wrong entry somewhere in them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    OK....I will try that first, thanks. I figured it was something I possible did by accident because SE has always been great for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The problem is now I don't know where to find my word and names lists. I looked in the AppData folder under Subtitle Edit but I could not figure out where they were.

Most important to me are capitalizations. I don't remember how or where I changed those quite a while back. There are a lot of words that are titles that should always be capitalized and I changed them. Things like military ranks etc. should always be capitalized in my opinion. There are a bunch of words I did this with manually adding them somewhere and that list is the one that is most important.

Anyone know where they are?
    Last edited by Ronstang; 2nd Dec 2023 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ronstang View Post
    The problem is now I don't know where to find my word and names lists. I looked in the AppData folder under Subtitle Edit but I could not figure out where they were.

Most important to me are capitalizations. I don't remember how or where I changed those quite a while back. There are a lot of words that are titles that should always be capitalized and I changed them. Things like military ranks etc. should always be capitalized in my opinion. There are a bunch of words I did this with manually adding them somewhere and that list is the one that is most important.

Anyone know where they are?
    isn't this it?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	names.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	75227  

Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check under edit/multiple replace to see if any entries are there that have I to be removed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI Subtitle Edit provides a link to "Open 'Dictionaries' folder". Go Options --> Word lists. In the Word list window you'll see it at the bottom left.
    On my Win7 pc it's C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit\Dictionaries.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    OK, thanks for all the help everyone. I finally had time to mess with it. I saved my dictionaries, then uninstalled and reinstalled and it works correctly now. I am not even going to try my dictionaries, not worth it. This is a rather new machine that had a fresh install and many of my changes are on my other machine which I won't use likely for SE anymore. I'll just rebuild and be more careful about what I add instead skipping more things that are rendered correctly but not normal spellings etc.

And I figured something out, I think, for "use always" and "change all" to actually do anything you have to have "Fix OCR Errors" checked so that was the problem there I am assuming.

But all seems well so thanks for all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote