Search Comp PM
    • SOFTWARE NERO PLATINUM 2023 MEDIA HOME

COMPUTER: MOTHERBOARD: Product * * *: M5A97 LE R2.0
      Manufacturer : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
      SerialNumber : 160982986101039
      Version * * *: Rev 1.xx

PROCESSOR: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
      64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
      32 GB RAM crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • 41.99
      SAMSUNG 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 210, driver 9.18.13.4195; 1/29,2016.
      WINDOWS 10 HOME, 20H2 UPDATE,

Puchase Nov. 2016 Fry's Electronics, Indianpolis, IN

The ASUS M5A97 LE R2. 0 uses the AMD Socket AM3+ CPU socket. It uses the DDR3 memory type, with maximum speeds of up to 2133 MHz, and 4 DDR3 slots allowing for a maximum total of 32 GB RAM

OVERHEATED during converting of DVD movie to MP4.

TEMPERTURES: starting at 37 degrees C, increasing gradually to 81 degrees C, and then quickly dropping to 40 degrees C after operation completed.

TOTAL ELAPSED TIME: 21 MINTUES.
    Thanks for any input. I assume my old machine can take it for now. I plan to do a regular backup with Macrium Reflect ASAP I buy their software which does cost now.

I am just learning little by little. I am delving into editing of home movies. Love the AI features in the new Nero. I made a DVD automatically that turned out quite good considering the poor overall quality of my recording. It did the same thing. OVERHEATING while it was assembling the short vidoe.

Thanks Ron
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to this page MAX temps for this cpu is 61C.
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8320

What steps have you taken to try and mitigate the problem?

I have the FX 4300 and suffered a similar issue. In my case, I'm pretty sure an aging motherboard is partly responsible,
    critical components like the voltage regulator get old and lose their tolerances.
    However, saying that, I'm still using it.
    A combination of undervolting the CPU slightly in the BIOS, reseating the CPU with new thermal paste
    and an after-market fan has kept mine stable at about 61C under extended load (Max temps on my FX 4300 is 71C
    so I still have some headroom)

Have you at least opened the case and made sure the CPU fan is spinning and free from dirt and dust
    Last edited by davexnet; 29th Sep 2023 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I blew it out with canned air after the first time a few days ago. It is still doing it. I will try your other suggestions, but I guess in my laziness I thought the thermal paste would be unnecessary as the resting temp is like 35 degrees C. I will do that before I do another operation. Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use HWMonitor to monitor the temps and voltages to see if you made any progress.
    I saw significant benefit after setting the voltage to manual @ 1.3v - give it a try

On my system when I set it to 1.3v, I get (approx) 1.288v at rest and 1.225v under load -
    this works reall well
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	74092  

Last edited by davexnet; 29th Sep 2023 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also buying a better heatsink with fan will help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Also buying a better heatsink with fan will help.
    Yes. I remember I opened a thread about my own problems a year ago and you recommended this to me also.
    So thanks - I didn't get control of the situation until I switched the fan/heatsink to an after market model.
    I ended up with this one - cheap and cheerful, but it does the job
    https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-cl-p106-al09wt-a/p/N82E16835106699
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for taking the time to reply with your experience and applicable advice!!! I hop to be of assistance someday soon. I have adopted video editing as my hobby now. I tried cleaning out the inside of my tower and I am cleaning my office to be sure i don't already have some thermal paste which I remember seeing at some point. I may even buy a new cooling fan if it could help. I have a newer laptop but my tower has more RAM. i will likely just buy a newer motherboard, CPU, graphics card, power supply and install in my case. I can't see any reason why I need a new case. It has a place for 2 additional case mounted cooling fans of which I have one installed now. I may even try moving my Nero software over to my laptop if the thermal paste/fans change doesn't help. Just as an experiment to compare.

Wishing everyone a great week.

Ron
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck with your project
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!
    I finally ordered some thermal paste: TG Kryonaut from Newegg for like $8 including shipping!
    I have several programs and Nero Video on right now.
    Max temp is 50C!! It was over 80 and shut down twice. It was unsuccessful the last time.
    It is working perfectly now.
    I took my tower outside today and blew it out with my pancake compressor before applying the paste.

TNANKS!

The good news is it works perfectly now.
    The bad news is I don't have the excuse to buy a bigger mousetrap. My machine is about 8 years old, and 10 years past the inception date for the AMD CPU.
    I am convinced now to learn more and experiment and get back to y'all with my journey. I am reading the Motherboard manual to see about any more adjustments to various components and chips and etc. etc. Will be a fun hobby for this old man this Winter.
    Happy travels to all.
    Quote Quote