VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an dvdrip (video_ts folder, ifo, bup, vob files..) that i tried to make a mkv out of using mkvtoolnix gui, but the result is interlaced, basically i want to deinterlace it without losing quality in the process, the source is 720x480 29.970 (checked using mediainfo), all the movie files in total give a size of 6,42 GB.

As i'm very new to working with encoding & all this stuff i'm not sure what software should i use, i tried looking up some guides for x264/x265 encoding with handbrake but i'm not sure if this will damage the quality in some way or if is there a better way to solve this problem.

Also, if encoding is the case (i was looking up some guides for x264 as there is more info easily available online) can "--qp 0" option increase the original file size or just preserve it? + are the advanced options in handbrake really needed for making quality encodings or it's more for fine tuning the desired size?

If anyone can help or point me in a guide, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quality is always reduced when re-encoding and de-interlacing - although if you're careful, you can reduce
    the damage.
    To make an MKV out of the video_ts folder you should probably mount it in Windows then run MakeMKV
    That way you keep the original quality, then allow it to be deinterlaced (or IVTC'd) during playback
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do software players IVTC on the fly? TV MKV players? If it can be IVTC'd, I'd do it. Need an untouched sample, though. Cut 10 seconds or so with steady movement using DGIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Do software players IVTC on the fly? TV MKV players? If it can be IVTC'd, I'd do it. Need an untouched sample, though. Cut 10 seconds or so with steady movement using DGIndex.
    VLC possibly? Most TV's can probably do it. My LG 4k ultra can
    Quote Quote  
  5. The thing is, i can't have it deinterlace on playback, for my purpose, i need to deinterlace it. I would like some insight on how to do so, while losing very little quality, for the case i need handbrake, does anyone have any tips? For example, which filter should i use (decomb, yadif) and with which preset (bob, etc..)

Couldn't figure out on how to use DGIndex so i used avidemux to cut it (i put the movie together with makemkv using the video_ts folder)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Vidcoder, similar to Handbrake. Set it up like this
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vc1.png
Views:	140
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	63423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vc2.png
Views:	124
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	63424  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I used Vidcoder, similar to Handbrake. Set it up like this
    All seem Ok, except that for such grainy source crf20 is not enough. I'd use either crf15+tune 'film' if I wanted to maintain grain, or crf18 + some light denoising
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dave, your first image show Deinterlace off. Dopethrone wants the output to be deinterlaced.

Shouldn't the Deinterlace be set to on?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Dave, your first image show Deinterlace off. Dopethrone wants the output to be deinterlaced.

Detelecine seems to take care of it, matches the fields and drops the frame rate to 23.976 (2nd picture)
    If the frame rate were left alone, you'd see a pattern of 4 normal frames followed by 1 duplicate
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Dave.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Should i be worried with 'duplicate frames'? how do i know if the output will have that?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You put the video into an editor like vdub2 and step through it a frame at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

Detelecine seems to take care of it, matches the fields and drops the frame rate to 23.976 (2nd picture)
    If the frame rate were left alone, you'd see a pattern of 4 normal frames followed by 1 duplicate
    Detelecine + lowering the framerate down to 23.976 seems to get rid of the problem, does anyone know why is this the case? i have some other raw dvdrips that suffer from the same exact problem, now at least i know how to solve it.
    The source i'm working on is 29.970 NTSC, will 23.976 + detelecine never produce any duplicate frames? just so i'm sure, because i've gone through some frames of the sample after encoding to check and didn't found any (but i didn't go through it's entirety though)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by dopethrone View Post
    The source i'm working on is 29.970 NTSC, will 23.976 + detelecine never produce any duplicate frames?
    Not if it was telecined properly in the first place. To check, open a VOB in VDub2. Scroll to a place with steady movement. Advance a frame at a time. If you see the telltale 3 progressive/2 interlaced in every 5-frame cycle, it's been telecined and can be IVTC'd. However there's not a chance I'd ever use Handbrake for anything at all. I'd suggest using the TIVTC filter within AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  15. As i'm very newbie in this, is there a guide to do what you are suggesting? i never used AviSynth and quite frankly seems a bit hard.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yea, i just checked the VOB and it's 3 progressive/2 interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Then follow davexnet's suggestion. However, if this is going to become a serious hobby of yours, it'll be in your best interests to learn AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Do you have some kind of guide or how-to to do the "TIVTC filter" with AviSynth?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Quote Quote  
  20. I need a d2v file? sorry but what exactly is that and how do i get one so i can use the filter
    Quote Quote  
  21. First use DgIndex (included int the TIVTC package for AviSynth) to build the m2v file from your VOB file(s). Then use Mpeg2Source() in your script to load the video (as in the sample).

https://avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC

Is it only me or has the avisynth.nl site been down for the last few weeks?

I guess the ru site is still working:

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/tivtc.htm
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Works here.
    Try http:// vs. https://
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Works here.
    Try http:// vs. https://
    Thanks. Neither works here. I get:

[Attachment 63458 - Click to enlarge]

I just checked with Firefox on my smartphone. It's working there. It must be something in all my Firefox/NoScript/UblockOrigin/hosts security/privacy settings.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    First use DgIndex (included int the TIVTC package for AviSynth) to build the m2v file from your VOB file(s).
    A slight correction:

First use DgIndex (included in the DGMPGDec package for AviSynth) to build the D2V file from your VOB file(s).

Read the docs included in that DGMPGDec package as they're among the best at explaining how to get started using AviSynth. And read the 'New To Avisynth' information on the main AviSynth page.
    Last edited by manono; 19th Feb 2022 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    First use DgIndex (included int the TIVTC package for AviSynth) to build the m2v file from your VOB file(s).
    A slight correction:

First use DgIndex (included in the DGMPGDec package for AviSynth) to build the D2V file from your VOB file(s).
    Oops. Thanks for the correction.
    Quote Quote