VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello friends,

I wasn't sure this is the right forum to ask but I'm sure many of you would know the answer and could help me.

I'd like to shoot interview videos while creating a little dramatic and warm effect, something like in this style:

I will also have a green screen behind the interviewee that would be lit and chroma keyed.

I'm about to purchase a kit of 4 softboxes with led light bulbs and my options as for the led lighting I'm looking at are: 3800K and 5500K.
    (2 softboxes for the interviewee and 2 for the green screen)

I know that when I white balance the camera, colors should look real to what they really are, but then if I'd like to create this warm effect,
    should I use the warmer 3800K color lighting?

And if so, what lighting color temperature should I use to light the green screen?

Thank you all in advance and sorry if this question is off topic

Roy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One idea: light for a neutral WB look, then add a warm, pro-mist type filter onto the lens.
    Or,
    Light neutral, then use a gold bounce/reflector on the face.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can also use the old trick of using a colored gel and then doing a white balance on a white card lit by the gelled light. You'd use a blue gel (opposite on the color wheel from red) to get the warming effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1

But always make sure that when WB, you avoid any possibility of reflection spill from the Greenscreen to affect its calculations. Either do it with a barrier/white/black/gray interim backdrop, or with no light at all on GS until after WB (as long as there is enough distance from GS to subject so no ambient spill)
    Probably also a good idea to start all shoots with a chip chart for std color reference, post WB.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26th May 2020 at 00:12.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I forgot to mention that you can also purchase slightly off-white cards, designed specifically for doing what you are planning. You simply do a white balance off one of these cards, using regular un-gelled lighting. Something like this (first hit I got, so not necessarily a recommendation):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/809220-REG/Vortex_Media_WC3JR_WarmCards_3_0_Junior_White.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you very much for both of your recommendations, I'm learning

I've also found this video which explains part of what you've suggested and it was more clear with your help.

Could another option be to color grade the video? do you think it will produce a lower/same/higher quality result than doing everything with WB?

Thanks so much again 🙏
    Quote Quote  
  7. One thing to note is that in your example photo, the shirt collar is almost pure white, so any warming of the flesh tones was likely not accomplished by using an orange filter on the overall picture or a low color temp key light.

Tread lightly. Done wrong, it will look artificial. Your example photo does not look artificial so they did a nice job on it.
    Last edited by chris319; 28th May 2020 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's also the possibility that this is the guy's actual skin tone, aside from the already mentioned shirt, look at the gray hairs on his head, I think they may just have done this with just a light source on the right side of his face and low lighting on the left, and simply applied a LUT.

I really think much of the stuff discussed above is overkill for this type of project.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There's also the possibility that this is the guy's actual skin tone
    Yes, and there's also the possibility that a little make-up was applied.
    Quote Quote