VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have an European VCR, a PAL TV and some VHS tapes in PAL-M (Brazil). In the VCR, it says "NTSC playback on PAL TV". The tapes play fine on the TV but when I try to convert it to digital using a video capture, the image is in black and white. Does anyone know what kind of signal does the VCR output? PAL-M? PAL60? NTSC 4.43?

I've tried different approaches to solve this but nothing worked. I just had this idea:

- Buy a SCART to HDMI converter compatible with PAL, NTSC3.58. NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL-M, PAL-N (my VCR only outputs SCART)

- Buy an HDMI video capture

Connect the HDMI video capture through USB 3.0 to the computer.

Would it work?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL vcrs with NTSC playback output PAL60.

I doubt if your 'idea' would work.

There are capture devices that support PAL60 but they will not work either with this rather unique standard.

You should not get colour from your vcr but it seems that certain models do support it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    PAL vcrs with NTSC playback output PAL60.

I doubt if your 'idea' would work.

There are capture devices that support PAL60 but they will not work either with this rather unique standard.

You should not get colour from your vcr but it seems that certain models do support it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M
    Thank you for your answer.

There's something that I'm still not sure about: is PAL60 the same as NTSC 4.43? I've read many different things. Some say it's the same, and wikipedia says they're opposite.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. (placing my head above the parapet) I do not think NTSC 4.43 is the same as PAL60

PAL60 is standard NTSC 3.58 with the colour sub-carrier 'converted' to PAL

By the same token PAL-M is also not NTSC 4.43 since the former has all the qualities of NTSC 3.58 apart from the colour signal. (Hard hat still on)

Many moons ago I did own one PAL-M tape since a friend of mine from Brazil sent a tv recording to me. I could not get any colour signal from it either on my tv or through capture equipment and I had to send it away to have it converted by someone who had multi-standard vcrs
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No. (placing my head above the parapet) I do not think NTSC 4.43 is the same as PAL60

PAL60 is standard NTSC 3.58 with the colour sub-carrier 'converted' to PAL

By the same token PAL-M is also not NTSC 4.43 since the former has all the qualities of NTSC 3.58 apart from the colour signal. (Hard hat still on)

Many moons ago I did own one PAL-M tape since a friend of mine from Brazil sent a tv recording to me. I could not get any colour signal from it either on my tv or through capture equipment and I had to send it away to have it converted by someone who had multi-standard vcrs
    Just an update, if anybody else is facing the same problem with PAL-60: My idea worked, but for some annoying reason the HDMI video capture sometimes cannot recognize the signal coming from the converter. Sometimes I connect the HDMI cable from the converter to the HDMI video capture and image appears on the computer (with really good quality), but other times it doesn't, but it doesn't seem like the problem is the capture because if I connect my PS4, then it works as it should. If I don't manage to find a solution to this, the only thing that I have in mind is trying the Hauppauge USB-Live2, from what I read here it can capture PAL-60.
    Quote Quote