VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I want to convert a Flac audio track from a video to TrueHD. When I do this with Xmedia recode, it encodes it in "standard" DTS. Is there another way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you sure Xmedia recoder can convert to TrueHD?
    I thought the only tools capable of encoding TrueHD were those of Dolby itself.
    So my guess is that you will have to invest quite a bit of money to get a TrueHD encoder,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffmpeg has an (experimental) TrueHD encoder. (Getting AC3+TrueHD is a different problem, though.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I managed to make this conversion with Xmedia Recode, it was just in the format selection. So now I'm asking if is this real TrueHD?
    Last edited by TBsq; 29th Apr 2020 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well I managed to make this conversion with Xmedia Recode, it was just in the format selection. So now I'm asking if is this real TrueHD?
    Use MediaInfo, or read what a professional BD authoring software says about it.

Also, keep in mind that ffmpeg's MLP/TrueHD encoder compresses so poorly that the result has almost the same size as uncompressed PCM.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ElHeggunte: Is it really ffmpegs TrueHD encoder or is it TrueHD in general?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I cannot confirm this either way after a few tests. For one random Hollywood movie with 5.1 ffmpeg TrueHD encoder achieved 68% bitrate saving (without AC3 core). It's content-dependent, though, with the lowest saving being closer to 25%.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @ElHeggunte: Is it really ffmpegs TrueHD encoder or is it TrueHD in general?
    I have just compared an ancient version of ffmpeg (4.1.4) with a fresh one (git-2020-04-26-1128aa8). In general this latter compresses somewhat-better than the old one, but it still doesn't have the same efficiency of the official encoders from Meridian/Dolby.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 30th Apr 2020 at 04:11. Reason: grammar :-/
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, good to know. btw. is there a freeware tool which can combine an ac3 and truehd stream into a ac3&truehd combi stream?
    ffmpeg, tsMuxeR, eac3to (and probably mkvtoolnix) can be used to split the combi stream, but how to recombine it?

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  10. Haven't seen any, but eac3to can encode a (new) AC3 core to an existing core-less TrueHD file.
    Quote Quote