VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to capture 1080p60 4:2:2 through my HD60s, I'm capturing the HDMI output on my camera. Trying to record at 4:2:2 since it's better for chroma keying.

All the software I've tried either doesn't record 4:2:2 or has serious issues for me.

-Elgato software only records 4:2:0.
    -OBS has a stuttery preview which causes the output video to be stuttery.
    -Amarec drops frames. I thought not recording audio fixes it (since it doesn't report any dropped frames), but I recorded an almost hour long video last night and imported the footage in both Premiere and Vegas Pro, and the video slowly creeps out of sync with my microphone, making the footage basically unusable.
    -Virtualdub, yeah no.

I have to record with my laptop because I'm doing stuff on my Desktop (i7-8700k, RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4) which could make the issues worse. i7-6700HQ, GTX960m, 16GB DDR4 with Windows 10. I don't have any other capturing machines that could handle it. Does anyone know any good software that can record 1080p60 4:2:2?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm assuming the HD60s is a capture device since little information given, If so are you sure it is not built in hardware encoder chip like H.264 @ 4:2:0? in such case you are out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I'm assuming the HD60s is a capture device since little information given, If so are you sure it is not built in hardware encoder chip like H.264 @ 4:2:0? in such case you are out of luck.
    Yeah its a capture device, forgot to say that. Yes, it supports 4:2:2. I'm able to record 4:2:2 from my Spectrum box with no issues with conversion with Amarec + green screen footage comes out better in Amarec recording 4:2:2 than recording with the Elgato software at 4:2:0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HD60 does hardware encoding, you're stuck with that, it is already a lossy format, it's nothing like ProRes 422, or DNxHD
    there are monitor/recorders which you connect through HDMI that will suit your goal better, look for Atamos or Blackmagic Design (Video Assist), etc..
    they will store your camera footage on SSD or SD card as ProRes422 or DNxHD files.
    You should set your camera for clean HDMI output, which you already have done i guess.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ENunn View Post
    Yeah its a capture device, forgot to say that. Yes, it supports 4:2:2. I'm able to record 4:2:2 from my Spectrum box with no issues with conversion with Amarec + green screen footage comes out better in Amarec recording 4:2:2 than recording with the Elgato software at 4:2:0.
    Supports 4:2:2 does not mean it's 4:2:2 all the way, It could be just the software up sampling to 4:2:2 from 4:2:0. You can never trust a Chinese.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    The HD60 does hardware encoding, you're stuck with that, it is already a lossy format, it's nothing like ProRes 422, or DNxHD
    there are monitor/recorders which you connect through HDMI that will suit your goal better, look for Atamos or Blackmagic Design (Video Assist), etc..
    they will store your camera footage on SSD or SD card as ProRes422 or DNxHD files.
    You should set your camera for clean HDMI output, which you already have done i guess.
    Not HD60, HD60S. USB 3.0 based capture card. It doesn't have an on board encoder to my knowledge, and if it did I don't think it would've worked in Amarec.

I'd love to get my hands on an Atamos Ninja, they're just too expensive right now, and yeah my camera is outputting clean HDMI.

Supports 4:2:2 does not mean it's 4:2:2 all the way, It could be just the software up sampling to 4:2:2 from 4:2:0. You can never trust a Chinese.
    I had this issue when I recorded 4:2:0. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393750-Amarec-1080i-artifacting-trails
    I fixed it by recording 4:2:2. Especially when I record football games, the first down marker doesn't flicker back and forth whenever someone's throwing the ball if I record at 4:2:2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    btw, you don't mix up interlaced video material ?

The Video Assist 6G (HD) is below 500 euro, i bought that one recently, the 12G (UHD) jumps to a much higer price
    what you are looking for is intra-frame coding compression,(ProRes422) and not inter-frame compression like most mp4 codecs do, Avermedia also i think...
    Prices are just that high for good quality, and BlackMagic Design offers a little of both also the HDMI format is very strict, or you have to buy expensive scalers.
    Lossless encoding just makes very big files and high data rates, you should use m.2 storage in that case.
    Quote Quote