VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This was requested a few years back. I now know how to code and therefore made this.
    The app is still in development but works.. Enjoy

https://csharpsoftwareza.blogspot.com/2018/08/movie-profanity-remover.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking forward to somwone testing this on Attack The Block or something ****ney.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh FFS. If a film or TV show is deemed not to be suitable for a certain audience THEN DON'T SHOW IT TO THEM! Don't butcher a movie or TV show, let it stand or fall for what it truly is not what some algorithm or YTS member on minimum wage has butchered it into. (I know, I'm showing my age here.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Words deemed bad by ancient men in silly clothes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Oh FFS. If a film or TV show is deemed not to be suitable for a certain audience THEN DON'T SHOW IT TO THEM! Don't butcher a movie or TV show, let it stand or fall for what it truly is not what some algorithm or YTS member on minimum wage has butchered it into. (I know, I'm showing my age here.)

Oh my goodness what drivel. I think this tool is a brilliant idea (I have no idea if this particular tool works).

As a parent of small children, I can tell you thre are a great many movies that are of high quality and appropriate for kids, save for the language. This is particularly true for some 1980s movies, but I'm sure you could find many others.

E.T. is a great example. A WONDERFUL movie for kids. But one kid very clearly calls another kid "Pen** Breath." I'm not having my 6-8 year olds listen to that(if they were using the term in a clinical way it would be different, but they aren't - this gives rise to a serious technical challenge the tool may face).But there is virtually nothing else of objection in the movie. Lift that out, and a great movie can instill wonder in some small children, and such movies are hard to come by.

As a parent, you are always trying to expose your kids to artistic creations that present ideas that will shape them into good and thoughtful people, and to expose them to these creations at the appropriate time. A tool like this, if effective, provides flexibility in that difficult endeavor. To dismiss it out of hand strikes me a stunning ignorance of a common parental struggle.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    That's a rather plain name for the app. Why don't you call it Bowdler?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Jay4 View Post
    E.T. is a great example. A WONDERFUL movie for kids. But one kid very clearly calls another kid "Pen** Breath." I'm not having my 6-8 year olds listen to that(if they were using the term in a clinical way it would be different, but they aren't - this gives rise to a serious technical challenge the tool may face).But there is virtually nothing else of objection in the movie. Lift that out, and a great movie can instill wonder in some small children, and such movies are hard to come by.
    A perfect example of why this kind of tool does more harm than good.

ET is a wonderful movie. One of the beautiful things about the moment mentioned is the mom's reaction. She is both horrified and amused. That ambiguity is a marvelous thing for kids to experience without having to figure out what has been beeped or silenced. It teaches them that there are some words you know, but aren't supposed to say.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The chances are that children know more profanity than their parents did at the same age.

So how this tool actually work ?. I see references to subtitles. So is that the only point of reference with most of those in the tool apparently censored anyway. If the subs are not censored then the tool becomes pretty useless.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Jay4 View Post
    A perfect example of why this kind of tool does more harm than good.

ET is a wonderful movie. One of the beautiful things about the moment mentioned is the mom's reaction. She is both horrified and amused. That ambiguity is a marvelous thing for kids to experience without having to figure out what has been beeped or silenced. It teaches them that there are some words you know, but aren't supposed to say.

Different people are naturally going to have different opinions of this stuff. That is why this kind of tool has the potential to be valuable. It allows flexibility, and eliminates an argument for some who might be predisposed to try to censor things broadly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Aug 2018 at 12:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whats next, removing cigarettes??
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    You must be a cunning linguist.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    don't TV's still have that V-chip installed anymore ?? if yes then why not use that instead.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Jay4 View Post
    Oh FFS. If a film or TV show is deemed not to be suitable for a certain audience THEN DON'T SHOW IT TO THEM! Don't butcher a movie or TV show, let it stand or fall for what it truly is not what some algorithm or YTS member on minimum wage has butchered it into. (I know, I'm showing my age here.)

Oh my goodness what drivel. I think this tool is a brilliant idea (I have no idea if this particular tool works).

As a parent of small children, I can tell you thre are a great many movies that are of high quality and appropriate for kids, save for the language. This is particularly true for some 1980s movies, but I'm sure you could find many others.

As a parent, you are always trying to expose your kids to artistic creations that present ideas that will shape them into good and thoughtful people, and to expose them to these creations at the appropriate time. A tool like this, if effective, provides flexibility in that difficult endeavor. To dismiss it out of hand strikes me a stunning ignorance of a common parental struggle.
    I say again, if you think your . . . er . . . little darlings are too young for a film then don't let them watch it. Maybe you also need to find an app that takes out all the shots of the jangling keys on the scary man's belt in case your little darlings get traumatised and then get scared every time they hear keys jangling? Oh, and don't forget to take out the most disturbing scene of all in that film - you know the one - I still haven't completely gotten over that scene. (Don't worry, it's OK in the end.) Didn't Elliot get drunk as well, and try to kiss a girl? Better take that out as well, disgusting behaviour. And then those kids all ran from the Feds - hardly the actions of decent, law abiding citizens? Better take out those scenes as well in case your kids join a gang and get tattoos before they're 9!

OK. I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but I have a damn sight more faith in Stephen Spielberg as a director than in you as a director. Let your kids have that little bit of naughty fun and excitement - that is, of course, if they even know that word (What kind of language are you using around those kids, you Pottymouth? )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh FFS. If a film or TV show is deemed not to be suitable for a certain audience THEN DON'T SHOW IT TO THEM!
    This.

Oh my goodness what drivel.
    As a parent of small children,
    Be a better parent. Either explain things to them like adults (reasons that people say such things, why it is bad, why not to do it), which is what my mom always did, or you'll let them learn it in school. At least now, you can catch it early, you can control the context and (hopefully lack of) usage. And again, if it's so bad that you can't even do that, just don't watch it. My generation (Gen X) coddled kids, and it did the younger generations zero good. We've raised pussified youth, with their "safe spaces" and other BS. And it's moot to censor when we have things like "grab 'em by the pussy" in the news.

As a parent, you are always trying to expose your kids to artistic creations
    And someday, they'll probably watch the original uncensored version, and at best think you were ridiculous/silly/foolish for changing the mood/narrative of scenes in the film. At worst, that you ruined their memories.

Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Whats next, removing cigarettes??
    Perhaps we should censor guns. I'd much rather see kids calling each other penis breath in school, and not shooting one another.

Didn't Elliot... try to kiss a girl? Better take that out as well, disgusting behaviour.
    I can imagine some SJW thinking it's another #metoo moment.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Aug 2018 at 07:08.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to admit, I am a bit taken aback at the presumptuousness here concerning how other people parent. It genuinely surprises me that a group that appears to have libertarian leanings (which I do as well) is willing to criticize the parenting choices of others, and in some cases even argue against the development of useful parenting tools (even if useful to a subset of parents). No one here has any idea the circumstances in which my children are raised - or even where in the world I am raising them. You have no clue as to the quality of my parenting, save that I'd prefer my under-8 year-old not to hear "penis breath" used as a pejorative by another child. Again, I am just stunned by the arrogant self-righteousness of it all.

But still, I appreciate the comments. Thank you all. It has been educational, though perhaps not in the way you intended. I have read articles in the past about how women are very critical of each other's parenting. I always found them kind of funny, and a bit lucky that as a guy I was given a pass in this regard. I never thought I'd see the phenomenon directed at me in practice. It's cool to get the experience in such a low-stakes environment.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMO censoring PG 13 movies is not going to do much to further your goals. I agree with the person who said that you need to teach your children not to use profanity and not depend on censorship to reinforce your standards. My mother did not want her children to hear vulgar or blasphemous language let alone use it, so we were punished for using unacceptable language. She was only partially successful but the movies and TV shows we saw as children had nothing to do with it.

I'm over 60. When I was in grade school, one definitely did not hear profane language on TV or in the movie theater beyond the occasional "damn" or "hell". Despite that, and despite the fact that it was less socially acceptable than it is now, we heard profane language from other people regularly. My father cussed sometimes. My father's best friend used profanity as a matter of course. Sometimes other children in my middle-class suburban grade school used words like "bastard" or "whore" or "son-of-a-bitch" on the playground and "you are a real jack-off" was a popular insult, although most of the kids using this language probably did not know what any of these words meant.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that a group that appears to have libertarian leanings
    Where did you get that idea? Most tech-savvy folks are liberal, and much of this site is European/non-USA.

useful parenting tools
    According to you.
    I, however, see it as a way to avoid actual parenting. Just pretend it doesn't exist, instead of actually teaching the child.

as to the quality of my parenting, save that I'd prefer my under-8 year-old not to hear "penis breath" used as a pejorative by another child. Again, I am just stunned by the arrogant self-righteousness of it all.
    Good. Be stunned. Welcome to reality. Perhaps the child isn't the only one who needs a reality check.

What I find amusing is that fact that "penis breath" didn't even register when I was younger. I saw ET in theatres. I was too busy looking at ET to really even listen all that closely to the characters too in depth. What I remember most vividly about movies of the era was things like the face melting in Indiana Jones. I wasn't scarred for life, I didn't attempt to set my face on fire. You don't give kids enough credit. They're children, not pets. They have brains, and you need to help them use it. Guide them through life, don't hide things from them. If something is bad, let them know it, don't shelter them from it.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Aug 2018 at 23:24.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  20. As a parent, I don't want to teach my kids that it's okay to vandalize significant cultural objects simply because parts of it might make some folks uncomfortable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It also varies with culture - in Australia we a far more liberal at every level compared the say the USA. Under the law here there is no such thing as blasphemy, illegitimate as related to a child, or "out of wedlock" Of course deeply religious people, the 17% Australians who profess to have a religion do use these expressions but for the bulk of the population it's a "duh" so it's a bit hard in a multicultural world we live in to not offend someone somewhere. For me it's up to parents and the individual to take responsibility. When so called "bad" language, generally fine old Anglo-Saxon expressions are used so widely they lose all meaning and just become part of the background hubbub and so lose power.

As someone who has worked in the media and a lot of documentaries I've seen adults who can't function in the real world because of having such a secluded and over protected childhood. Electronic or direct censorship can and does have negative consequences. Be careful what you wish for..... just my thoughts from an 80 year old nerd!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  22. I say yet again, if you think E.T. isn't age appropriate for your children THEN DON'T SHOW IT TO THEM!!! It's REALLY simple. But please, don't butcher films & TV shows to make them fit your idea of what is and isn't acceptable, we already have the British Board of Film Classification and whoever it is who sets and polices the standards for TV shows for that. Besides, I don't remember that scene in the film, but I'm sure that a director as good as Spielberg didn't just throw it in gratuitously. I'm sure it was there for a reason, and you removing a key part of the scene will undoubtedly change the impact of that reason. Like I said earlier, I have far more faith in Spielberg as a director than you.

On a side note, a lot of the biggest drinkers and the most promiscuous people I was at Uni with usually came from families that were . . . er . . . more restrictive? Suppressed? Authoritarian? Prudish? Some of the worst/most fun were often newly released from convent schools! I'm not saying that that will be your kids in a few years time but . . . ?

Edit: Just noticed that you seem to be US based? OK. You don't have the BBFC but you'll have whoever it is who issues film classifications over in the US and whoever it is who does the same for TV.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 10th Aug 2018 at 07:23. Reason: Geography.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Going to add my 2 cents worth here.

I can completely understand everyone's statements regarding watching the movie as it was intended or just not letting your kids watch it at all. Totally get it. That being said what does it matter to me of someone wants to edit/cutup a movie for viewing in their own home? If someone wants to do this then good for them. In the past there was a DVD service, now defunct I'm sure, that actually sold dvd's that were edited (you bought two dvds. One original and the other was the edited one). But there was a market for it and people did purchase from them. If I remember correctly they were shut down because they had to break the encryption of the dvd to edit it for resale and they were US based so that was a no no.

I actually did the same thing when my kids were small. There were movies they wanted to watch that had language I didn't want them to hear. I spent quite a bit of time editing those movies. Now that they are both older (teenagers) I have come to the realization they have heard worse at school than what was in the movies..... That being said, it was my time to waste and at the time I was trying to do what I thought was the right thing.

Anyway...... If you want to edit your movie for you or your children's viewing pleasure then have at it. And as far as the software the OP wrote, which I haven't and wont test, good for you! Your are sharing software you wrote in the hopes that others will find it useful.

In then end just do what works for you.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TimA-C I think this is more of a USA cultural phenomena - on Australian free to air I've seen programs that in the USA are strictly cable only. Children hear far worse out on the street at bus and train stops, at school etc. Seems like a lot of wasted effort to edit and process DVD's for the odd four letter word that you will hear on TV every night in Oz after about 21:00. I had the same experience at University, the wildest kids were from overly protective and strict families - almost like wild gazelles set free!!! I was allowed to see and hear what I liked as a young kid and teenager but I did come from a very liberal show biz family.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM

I wrote this program for people who would find it useful.
    I honestly couldn't care less about any cry baby with his/her negative opinion.
    As long as one person benefits from this program, I'd say this was worth it.

If you don't like this concept/idea, why are you even on this thread? Get out and teach your kids how to cuss for all I care.

I thank freebird73717 and Jay4 for your constructive comments.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    The chances are that children know more profanity than their parents did at the same age.

So how this tool actually work ?. I see references to subtitles. So is that the only point of reference with most of those in the tool apparently censored anyway. If the subs are not censored then the tool becomes pretty useless.
    It's probably true, but this isn't just meant for children. I myself am an adult and I like to watch movies without cursing, therefore I wrote this for myself and anyone who'd like to benefit from this.

The program uses the subtitles to find the location of the swear words and adds silence over the audio using FFMPEG.

Try it out if you want, I had no problem with it yet.
    It is still in development so if any error occurs, it should be fixed soon.
    Last edited by inieuwoudt1; 11th Aug 2018 at 09:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Ok. But it's your opinion of what a swear word is. And it was already noted later in the thread than the post quoted above that it then removes totally innocuous words.

I am in my 60's and while I do not use such words myself they do not bother me. And I would never dream of using such a tool.

It annoyed me more that tv would cut films even when shown at an hour that only adults would be viewing. It's another example of some deciding what is suitable for others.

Credit to you for attempting this if you feel the need for it. But you do need to take everyone's opinion in to account and not be narrow-minded.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    Thank you!

I appreciate the fact that you understand my intention.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    ^^ Ok. But it's your opinion of what a swear word is. And it was already noted later in the thread than the post quoted above that it then removes totally innocuous words.

I am in my 60's and while I do not use such words myself they do not bother me. And I would never dream of using such a tool.

It annoyed me more that tv would cut films even when shown at an hour that only adults would be viewing. It's another example of some deciding what is suitable for others.

Credit to you for attempting this if you feel the need for it. But you do need to take everyone's opinion in to account and not be narrow-minded.

I did fix the program to not block a word when its not supposed to (a few hours ago) and I did state on the blog that my program is currently under development.
    Quote Quote