VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to open a capture I made a few years ago and VirtualDub complains it "uses unsupported old format that lacks embedded encoding tables". I am doing this on a new machine and installed the codec listed here in the downloads section. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you install the huffyuv 64bit version? Then try the normal 32bit version.

Can you play the video with vlc media player?

What does mediainfo say under video codec?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try one of the old versions from the download page.

There are some comments there that one version created un-playable files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are several versions of Huffyuv. Try 2.1.1, 2.2, the MT variant, and ffdshow. Also keep in mind that 32 bit editors/players require 32 bit codecs, 64 bit editors/players require 64 bit codecs. The two environments can't see each others' codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videeo View Post
    VirtualDub complains it "uses unsupported old format that lacks embedded encoding tables".
    This isn't a VirtualDub error message. I suppose it could be passing along a message from Huffyuv, but I can't find the phrase "encoding tables" in the Huffyuv source code either. Please screenshot the precise error.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I just setup a fresh Win10 VM and I had previously captured with a WinXP machine around mid 2012. The error message I quoted verbatim, but I can post a screenshot later. I did not install VLC player yet.

Is it possible to identify the exact codec version used in the file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not without someone writing a specialized tool to do so. Most of them use the same FOURCC in the header. MT uses a new one, and ffdshow sometimes does (it depends which mode is used).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here's the screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HUFFyuv.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	35382
    Quote Quote  
  9. This tutorial helped me. Basically, I thought the codec was installing, but for a 64 bit system, it needs to be done differently than just right clicking the ini file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vpr4MOB5mk

Code:
    Command Prompt Instructions:

cd c:\windows\syswow64

rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ah, I had forgotten about that. Here's a post that does the same with the lame mp3 encoder:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#1723154

The instructions work for huffyuv too, you just have to change the file names.
    Quote Quote