VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Iam going to rip about 400 DVD into a mediaserver, tht will tke several days, but im looking for a good program that gives me uber quality wth the lowest siz of files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quality, small filesizes and speed don't go together.

Quality encoding takes time. Only a fast CPU will reduce this. You have no specs, so I don't know what you have.

Filesize and quality are a balancing act. Filesize is determined by bitrate and running time. As running time is a constant, bitrate is all you can vary. The lower the bitrate, the lower the quality (generalisation, but true enough for this conversation)

Best and fastest results are generally gained by ripping the DVD to your HDD first, preferably stripping off any crap you don't need first. DVDFab HD Decrypter is good for this. Use the movie only mode if that is what you need.

Encoding depends on what format you want/need, what you are playing back with (specs ?) and what you are playing back on. You say you want 'uber quality'. This implies slower encoding, probably using H264 as the video codec.

I would suggest you work in batches. Rip a number of DVDs to your HDD, then use an encoder that has a batch facility to encode these one after the other, probably over night.

I like Xvid4PSP, but there are many other choices. What works best for you will depend on what you really want, which at the moment is a bit vague.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote