VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a HV30 to film a kids performance outdoors. After capturing I noticed lines in the video when zooming and panning. Where does this come from? The tapes maybe? I can upload a sample if someone can tell me where to do it and what size needs to be.
    HV30+Wide Angle HD Lens, Rode Stereo Mic, Manfrotto Tripod System, Canon ZR 850
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Vegas 8 Platinum have a deinterlace filter??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Probably. But unless you're making a video specifically for playback on computers you probably don't want to deinterlace.

Doesn't the HV30 have a 24p mode? A 30p mode? In the future you might consider those if you don't need the greater temporal resolution of 30i.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I have been recording in standard DV, what your saying to do is use the hdv 24p or 30p to record in. I'm still new to this cam, about a week or 2. I think I just discovered the 24p and 30p modes are only in HDV and not the DV setting. But in theory if I want DV for my editing I can record in HDV and then set output (for capturing) to DV and then I wont have this problem??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep in mind that interlacing isn't a problem. It's the native state of NTSC video. If your final product is TV then you should leave the video interlaced and the TV will display it correctly.

In the special case of shooting video that you will distribute on the internet (and therefore can't be sure what players people might be using) you want to either shoot progressive video to start with, or deinterlace. Since you camcorder has a 30p option I would use that (24p can be a little tricky).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Correct me if I am wrong but 30p can only be used in hdv mode?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jensen
    Yes, but the output from this will be DV in "DV lock" mode.

If you are recording things that you might want to watch in the future(!) it is strange to shoot DV on an HDV camcorder - what did you pay all that money for?

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had no idea what "DV lock" was so I searched and found this:

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=10949

The HV30 can convert HDV to DV during playback using its DV lock feature. Of course, you could always capture as HDV and downsize to DV too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    Originally Posted by Jensen
    Yes, but the output from this will be DV in "DV lock" mode.

If you are recording things that you might want to watch in the future(!) it is strange to shoot DV on an HDV camcorder - what did you pay all that money for?

Cheers,
    David.

Lol, I never thought of it that way. I guess I figured DV was DV and HDV was HDV. If my outcome was eventually to be DV why not just use that? But I didnt realize that HDV 30p, even with DV lock, would make my DV better. I also figured that after editing HDV, then encoding to mpeg2 or wmv would take allot longer (even though I haven't tried it). Still learning the ropes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here's a 60 fps Xvid AVI that shows now much smoother 60 fields per second (30i) is compared to 30 frames per second (30p):

60v30.avi
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad I was sober when looking at that, I can see the difference. Im confused as to which is which. I am assuming 30p on top and 30i on bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's actually 60p on the top, 30p on the bottom. 60 different frames per second on the top, 30 different frames per second on the bottom. The top is similar to what you would see on a TV, much smoother motion (on an interlaced CRT you would see one field at a time and it would flicker a bit). On the bottom you should see fast-jerky motion.

Exactly what you see may vary depending on you monitor and computer. Both might be jerky if you aren't running the monitor at 60 Hz. They might be blurry on an LCD with slow response time. The frame size is pretty small so most CPUs should be able to keep up.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When shooting HDV 30p and then down converting to a wmv for internet use, am I gaining anything other than having a HDV copy in my back-up? Is there a certain codec that would benefit more from shooting in 30p? h.264 would be my first guess but takes time and is kind of hefty in size.
    Quote Quote