VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys im looking for an avi compression that captures atleast 7mbps of bitrate and up..i use virtual dub as a software and divx offers only a max of 4mbps and the other is at 6mbps, any one?

from my minidv and compress and save to avi at high bit rate 7mbps and up..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Switch Divx's Certification Profile to Unconstrained. Even better, forget bitrates and use 1-Pass Quality Based encoding with a Quantizer of 2 or whatever quality you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tnx for the reply ,,can i use it with virtual dub? actually the 15 trial days of divx has been expire so i cant use it any more.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, you can use all of Divx's main features in VirtualDub.

Divx often gives their software away for free. Just keep an eye on their web site. Especially around holidays.

Can't you continue using the codec after the 15 day trial period? Just with some limitations?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid with let you save up to 10K
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    with virtual dub divx is free forever but it limits the compression of only 4mbps of max bitrate, is there any software that can be a plug in for virtual dub?that offers a higher compression?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by nivek_nayr
    with virtual dub divx is free forever but it limits the compression of only 4mbps of max bitrate, is there any software that can be a plug in for virtual dub?that offers a higher compression?
    I have version 6.7 installed on a virtual machine and not registered. It does limit the bitrate in constant bitrate mode. But by setting the Profile to 1080HD, selecting 1-pass quality based encoding, and a quantizer of 2, it produced a file with an average video bitrate of nearly 13,000 kbps (from a DV source). With a quantizer of 1 the average bitrate was nearly 19,000.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is that divx version 6.7? where can i get that version? sorry for my ignorance, is there no possibilty to use in standard def?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, it was Divx 6.7. But you don't need that particular version.

The HD profiles don't make the video HD. They're just different limits on settings like bitrate, frame size, etc. They are there to help you avoid encoding with settings that won't play on the intended devices.

I was able to get video bitrates over 30,000 with some Xvid settings (target quantizer 1, no b frames).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i download the latest version do you think it will change the settings mode in virtual dub that you can now maximize the bitrate higher than 4mbps?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nivek_nayr
    if i download the latest version do you think it will change the settings mode in virtual dub that you can now maximize the bitrate higher than 4mbps?
    Not in constant bitrate mode. But in quality based mode the video comes out to whatever bitrate is necessary to achieve the requested quality (as long as it's not limited by the currently selected profile).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok tnx alot
    il try that
    Quote Quote