VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What basic equipments required to set up a VOIP connection ?
    People who I probably am more like.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well a fast internet connection will work wonders.

When you sign up for Voip service, they will give you an ATA unit which will rin between your modem and your phone.

Thats really about it.

LG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG is correct...

Also depends on what you're wanting to do with it. At home I'm now using VOIP with nothing more than the ATA and highspeed. For work, I've set up a full phone system built around Trixbox and using IP phones.

Interesting enough, you can do the latter for next to nothing (cost) as all the software is free...

Family is moving at the end of this month to a new home - I'm probably going to set up a phone system in the house. Use ATA for lines 1 and 2 (most homes are wired for two lines) and IP in a small home office. Nice is that you end up with an in-house intercom system, multiple incoming and outgoing lines and all for about $10 per month.

Edit: I would recommend NOT using VOIP if you don't have a cell phone. VOIP will go down when you have any problem with any of power / internet / provider...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    I would recommend NOT using VOIP if you don't have a cell phone. VOIP will go down when you have any problem with any of power / internet / provider...

That is one HUGE thing to remember. Most people dont really think about it either. No power = no computer/internet = no voip phone.

So as Squirrel said, even have a prepaid phone if you dont want the monthly cost. But have something for emergencies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a UPS if you want emergency power.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A UPS helps and I would recommend having one (I do) but it's only one part of the long list of things that can bring down your VOIP. IMO, a cell phone is still a necessity if you want VOIP.

Also, and this goes for any phone, you should always have at least one non-cordless / non-powered phone on hand...
    Quote Quote