VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the following equipment to start converting my old family VHS's to DVD;

VCR: JVC HR-S8600E
    TBC: AVToolbox AVT-8710 (CTB100)

Now, as I've spent most of my budget on the above two, I can't afford to spend too much on the capture hardware, but at the same time I don't want to be left with a poor quality VHS DV-AVI capture file due to purchasing a poor quality capture card...

1. Will the Ads tech meet my demands and am I likely to get higher quality captures from using more expensive capture equipment such as DataVideo's DAC-100?
    2. Do I stream the video from the VCR using an S-Video cable, and the Audio using a Phono cable, and then both the Video & Audio will be fed into my PC along the Firewire cable?
    3. Does the Ads tech come with a firewire cable? If not, what cable do I need (how many pins?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by EViS
    1. Will the Ads tech meet my demands and am I likely to get higher quality captures from using more expensive capture equipment such as DataVideo's DAC-100?
    Generally speaking you should get the same results from any DV capture device, the encoders don't differ that much . This is information from what I've read, one of the troubles with trying to compare such devices is no one the forums has both, to properly compare them everything has to be equal, most importantly the deck and the source.

2. Do I stream the video from the VCR using an S-Video cable, and the Audio using a Phono cable, and then both the Video & Audio will be fed into my PC along the Firewire cable?
    All DV devices produce DV-AVI it's at set bitrate for both audio and video, this is identical to the format that is used on mini DV cams. You could if you wanted after capture send it back to a cam losslessly. This is why I asked you in your other thread if you had one because some will allow you to convert the video to DV-AVI like the Pyro, if you're in the market for a cam or think you may be you may want to consider that route as well.

3. Does the Ads tech come with a firewire cable? If not, what cable do I need (how many pins?)
    That I don't know but the end you connect to your computer is most likely a 6 pin if you have a desktop. Cables are about $15 if you need one.
    Quote Quote