VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 16x9 material I captured using my Sony HC42. Because the firewire is dead on it, I imported it into my PC using my brother's Panasonic PV-DV953D. I imported it using NeroVision and the DV-1 format.

When I play the resultant AVI files on my PC, they look great. Correct aspect ratio, 16x9, no borders or anything.

I then tried using VirtualDub to convert it to Xvid. I first just added the deinterlace filter and it converted it, but the new avi then looks like it's vertically stretched. Based on some searching here, I then added a resizing filter to convert it to 720x405. I preview the output and it looks good, at the correct ratio.

But if I actually try to "Save to AVI", I then get a virtual dub error, cannot start video compression, error code -100. I tried other various settings in the resize filter, even to have it border the new image, but no matter what I get an error, virtualdub crashes, something goes wrong. It's definitely the resize filter.

DIVx won't work for anything I do.

What's the proper way to convert this 16x9 material to a more compact AVI but preserve 16x9? Based on this headache and from other posts I've read here, I may just go back to 4:3 filming. But I'd like to preserve what I've already shot in 16x9.

thanks for any help you can provide!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The height and width must be dividable by 16...maybe lower for latest xvid. Try something like 720x400 or similiar.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!! Never thought of that. I've now got it running using 704x396.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version of Xvid requires divisibility by 2, however 16 is the optimised number.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote