VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are the DTS option in DVDs not created equal? My Harman Kardon("HK") DVD player cannot select (in audio setup menu) and play the DTS option in a couple of concert DVDs. So far, the HK receiver can automatically sense and play just one DVD with DTS option. And that is Hell Freezes Over. The other two with DTS options but could not play DTS are The Bee Gees and Bon Jovi.

I'm wondering if anyone had the same experience. The DVD player is connected to the receiver with coaxial cable. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What dvd player are you using and how do you have it set up ??

One of my 2 dvd players that plays both SACD & DVD-AUDIO has a setup menu that lets you choose which folder the player will look into first when the disc is inserted and read, the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folder.

If i select it to look in the AUDIO_TS folder first, it will only read the dvd-audio files, and the DTS audio files are in the VIDEO_TS folder, so if there are dvd-audio files in the AUDIO_TS folder it stops there & wont look in the VIDEO_TS folder,
    But if it is a DVD video, it does not see anything or any dvd-audio files in the AUDIO_TS folder and just goes to the VIDEO_TS folder and plays the movie like normal.

Most if not all (which i have a ton of them and have yet to see a dvd-audio disc without both for compatible playback on any dvd player) dvd-audio disc's have material in both folders so if you don't have a dvd-audio capable player they can still be played on a standard dvd player in at least DD5.1, and alot of them also have the DTS audio.

The first problem i thought of was that you dont have it hooked up with a digital connection, cable or fibre optic, but you mentioned you have it hooked up via a coaxial cable, which i am assuming is a "digital coaxial" cable. and you said you have one disc that does play the DTS.

P.S.
    I just did a search of the dvd-audio disc's with DTS,
    and i could not find "Bon Jovi" or "Bee Gee's" on dvd-audio with DTS audio tracks
    Are you sure they have a DTS audio track ?
    Because not all dvd-audio disc's have a DTS audio track, as a matter of fact most DON'T......
    which would be why you can't play them in/as DTS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I did not make myself clear. When I mentioned concert DVDs, I mean DVD-video. Those two concert DVD-videos have DTS option in the audio setup menu but my Harman Kardon DVD player could not select it as the source. Like I said, the Harman Kardon receiver will show "DTS" as the source audio when Hell Freezes Over (Eagles) is played . Whereas, it will display Dolby Digital II when the other two are played. I wonder if they are the same.

It's no big deal. I'm satisfied with the sound nonetheless. I'm just thinking DTS will be better (and it's there-just couldn't get it). Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hey
    Okay, i assumed you were talking about audio dvd's because of "hell freezes over" I have that one on dvd-audio.

Hmmm... have you tried using the audio button on the remote to see if it changes or shows another audio track on the dvd while it is playing ?
    The one's that you are having a problem with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you have original discs...what are the exact titles?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote