VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Get a downloaded divX file to play on my nice new Yamada 6600. Upto now all ive done really is download the file and burn it as a data file using CDBurner XP Pro but the player keep showing "Unknown Disc" text on my TV screen?

Do I need to do some type of re-encodeing, divX to AVI? or maybe use different burning software, im out of idea's and nobody (else where) wants to help me out.... Its like the search for the holy grail

Please can someone point me in the right direction.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are the specs of the video? BTW: A DivX file is always an AVI, but an AVI is not always DivX. Download AVICodec from the tool section, and take a look at the specs, especially the audio bitrate. I don't have a Yamada, but I do have a LiteOn DivX player and it won't play video files with a low audio bitrate (even though the video is within specs). You may need to reencode the file with a program such as Dr.DivX (or a similar program) in order for it to play on your standalone.

Does this same file play on your PC?

If it does, the disc is not the problem, it's the file itself. When you get AVICodec loaded on your PC, use it to analyze the file. If you have any questions, post a screenshot of the results here, and maybe I or someone else can suggest why it does not play.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply Roundabout. Downloaded that app here are the results for this movie:-

File : 350 MB (350 MB), duration: 0:43:00, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 51 %

Video : 312 MB, 1017 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 640*352 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported

Audio : 37 MB, 120 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

As I understand the Yamada 6600 supports Xvid so I dont think thats the problem. The file does play on my PC in Media Player.

At a loss, dont know whats going on?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Yamada can read DivX but your AVI is encoded with XVID. I believe DivX and XVID are close (one is an enhancement of the other) but not identical.

Create a new AVI with the DivX codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Create a new AVI with the DivX codec

Oh jesus, remember your talking to a newbie!

How would I do that?

Just out of curiosity if I was to donwload a film with NO copyright that was encoded in divx or xvid would that file be ready to copy accross to a CDR or would it require further encoding?

Not having much luck here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try here (you may need to register for the forums):

http://www.my-yamada.co.uk/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers monzie, already registered there bud!

Ill keep looking, bound to find the answer somewhere!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    >>Comments edited<<

Maybe your problem is the Xvid file itself. There are some issues with the YAMADA and Xvid. I don't know if the one you have is encoded by a old version of Xvid (pre-v1.0), maybe gspot will give you more information than avicodec - you could try and see. Also, do you have the latest firmware installed on your player?

The other option was noted, that you could reencode the file with Dr.DivX or similar program, if this is very important to you to be able to see it on your standalone player.

I did a little looking at this site - http://www.my-yamada.co.uk/index.php and found this information:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XviD 1.0 Final Released : And It Is Yamada Friendly!

The latest binary release of the XviD encoder has been released, and this time it is Yamada friendly!

Previous revisions (known as release candidates) had proved a stumbling block for the Yamada players, but reports from the forums suggest that the 1.0 Final build of the XviD binary is compatible with the Yamada players (6000, 6100 and 6600).
    This is good news as there was unrest arising from the incompatibility of the XviD format on the players. Files encoded with previous release candidates may still have problems but new content is already surfacing encoded with the 1.0 Final codec.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems like your player doesn't like the pre-v1.0 versions of the Xvid codec. There seems to be more about it on the forums on that website, but I didn't want to register there to just read it. Since you are registered there already, I'd suggest you read some of what's in their forums for more about the incompatibility issue this unit has with the Xvid format.

Hope that helps.

Roundabout
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Dusty

Oh jesus, remember your talking to a newbie!

How would I do that?
    Download virtualdub and open your video file. Set the comprssion for video to DIVX. Then all you have to do is save it.
    This plan is so bad, it must be one of ours.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Praise the Lord, Ive sussed it people

For whatever reason the files Id downloaded had no properties in the summary tab (right hand mouse click etc...), however when I used Dr DivX to re-encode them I found that info on the audio and video was present and more importantly it plays on my Yamada!

Just a thought, the file I had did have a divX watermark at the start prior to re-encoding, question is why was there the need to re-encode it in the first place??

Beats me!

Thanks to those who took time out to post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if the watermark appears when you use the DivX codec, or when you encode with it. If it is on the file itself, then the file must have been encoded with DivX at some point, then someone reencoded it into Xvid. Since it would be part of the video stream, it would appear even if you reencoded it to .mov or anything else.

In any case, Dr.DivX works pretty well, and is easy to use for newbies, and you have a free trial (30 days, I think). If you are going to use it a lot, it's worth the money. Otherwise, you just use it for the one file you have then dump it.

Glad you got your file to play. As I said, the Yamada has issues with the Xvid codec, so you may have to reencode more, if you find them in Xvid. FWIW, the LiteOn LVD DivX players have no problems with Xvid.

Cheers, Roundabout
    Quote Quote  
  12. What roundabout said...but the logo only shows up as you play the file. You can turn it off by using the "Decoder Configuration Utility"

Happy to be here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hey fella's thanks for the posts.

The DivX watermark appered before and after the re-encoding, I suspect Roundabout is right regarding the divx to xvid issue! Did take alook on the Yamada site and it does appear there are problems with Xvid playback with the Yamada's old firmware. I dunno im still learning all this

All good stuff though!

Thanks again for taking time out chaps!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help!

Cheers,

Roundabout
    Quote Quote