VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok when converting .avi to dvd mpeg2 to play on my standalone dvd player, the subtitles get cut off. but i already fixed the subtitles problem in tmpgenc by setting the "video arrange method" to "Center (custom size)" and then i set the pixels and after many trail and errors i finally found the perfect size for the left,right, and bottom side of the frame. the only problem is the top isnt perfect, there's this black line about 1/2 of an inch. why is the picture off-centered? i tried many other files and i still get the same problem so that's not the case. is there a way to move the picture up a bit using tmpgenc or any other program? any help is appeciated, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. what's the size of the original avi?
    Quote Quote  
  3. how would i check the size? if you meant file size it's around 233mb, if not, please explain. or maybe you meant this: 640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3] (opened the file in gspot)
    Quote Quote  
  4. yeah, sorry, i meant the dimensions.

if you use full screen (keep aspect ratio) for 640 x 480 avi's they come out perfectly, without cutting off the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. actually i tried many settings including that, and it doesnt work. most tv has overscan or whatever and it cuts the subtitles off. the only way i got close to perfecting the file i wanted is to do the custom size in tmpgenc. is there any program at all out there that lets you move the picture around?
    Quote Quote  
  6. hmm, well i convert quite a bit of anime with subs and always use center (keep aspect ratio). have never had a problem when using that setting for 640 x 480 avi's. like your tv, my tv has overscan as well and it seems to work perfect for me.

/shrug
    Quote Quote  
  7. not all TVs are the same, others work different and i already tried what you suggested and it doesnt work. is it even possible to move the picture around? or is it possble to add a bigger black border on the bottom than the top?
    Quote Quote  
  8. there's a setting in tmpgenc that allows you to clip frame on the advanced tab.

double-click on it to adjust the borders.
    Quote Quote  
  9. thanks for the help, but that doesnt work also.

it actually CUTs a part of the picture, then adds a black border, which is what i dont want lol. i dont want it to cut anything, all i want it to do is add a black border.
    Quote Quote