VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If a DVD player can play mp3s, is it possible to make a VCD or SVCD that has mpg 1 or 2 video, but is encoded with mp3 sound??

Also, can someone direct me to a place where i could get an XVCD template for tmpgenc?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nope, can't make VCD or SVCD with MP3 sound, not possible, plain and simple.
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could make it, but it probably wouldn't work.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  4. vitualis, how on earth can you make VCD or SVCD using MP3 Audio ?

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  5. When I encode VCD, I do it with a seperate audio file in MP3 format... Works perfectly... is that what you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I actually tried this for a flick I converted the other day. All I did was take the audio stream out of an mpg and put a mp3 audio stream into it. It wasn't pretty and it didn't work. The mpg muxing worked but nothing could read it. The dvd player shit it back out at me. That was when I decided that it wasn't a good way to make a vcd.

Just thought I would share my experience and keep everyone from burning coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-12-27 03:40:02, Sefy wrote:
    vitualis, how on earth can you make VCD or SVCD using MP3 Audio ?
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

How can you make a S/VCD with different framesizes?

Obviously, this is in the realm of XVCD... and possibly so far out it won't work (as in the above post).

MP3 is still MPEG audio (like MP2). If you encode your audio separately as MP3 rather than MP2, you can mux that with your video stream.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guys, what you are saying is just taking the Audio from an MP3 file, that's not creating a VCD WITH MP3 sound!, at the end of it, you still have a VCD with MP2 (MPEG1 Audio Layer II) Sound!

Vitualis, out of all people, i'm surprised at you
    VideoCD is MPEG1 Audio Layer II for the Audio, if you change it it would be VCD anymore

Actually, I don't know what it would be, I know you can do an AVI with MP3 sound, but once you encode a MPEG using MP3 as the source, as soon as the encoding is done, the audio IN the movie is again a MP2 track, not MP3.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sefy, you've completely missed the point.

You can create an MPEG systems file with a video specs at standard VCD settings, and the audio encoded in MPEG-1 Layer 3. Multiplexing WILL NOT re-encode the audio into MP2.

You could incoporate this MPEG file in a "VCD".

As I stated before, this wouldn't be a compliant "VCD", but rather a XVCD.

As I stated before, although you could create such a beast, it probably won't work, even on players that support MP3.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'd like to apologise vitualis, I missed the XVCD part of your post (to my defence I was posting at 6 am with no sleep!), but I did try to mux MP3 with M1V, and the result didn't even play.

So I defy the theory that you can use MP3 with M1V, if it does not work, it's not possible, and I mean doesn't work on the PC.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  11. why bother? at the same bitrate the mpeg i layer 2 and layer 3 files would be within a meg or two of one another. Exactly what is the savings?

BTW, very few players on the computer even will play an mpeg1 file with mpeg1-layer3 audio.... I do believe the Xing player will handle it, but not many others
    Quote Quote  
  12. That's my point!!! ARRGGGHHH.....

I said it was POSSIBLE. I didn't say it was FEASIBLE (in fact I said that it wasn't!)

To answer your question wcb4, I would imagine the question was hypothetically asked because MP3 offers better compression than MP2 audio. So if you are creating an XVCD, having the audio at 128 kbit/s MP3 will still be very good quality. 128 kbit/s MP2 audio will definitely be inferior.

However, as stated several times before, it will most likely NOT work.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's like making a VCD is Dobly Digital.
    Possible but not workable.

However, i have heard of flukes were some players played SVCD with AC3 audio.

Xing MPEG player is reported to play MPEG with MP3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok, i'm curious, how on earth do you create a VCD or SVCD with MP3 Audio ? name a way, I wanna see this in motion not just in theory, but remember, i want it to be playable on the PC atleast! i've got XingMPEG, so if that can play it, I find it rather weird considering it's among the oldest players out there.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  15. Encode an elementary video stream and an MP3 audio stream. Multiplex them together with TMPGEnc or bbMPEG. That's how you do it...but as for it being useful, refer to the above remarks...
    Quote Quote  
  16. As what kinneera stated (and my second post on this thread)...

Sefy, perhaps you have difficulty conceptualising this.

The elementary audio stream of MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio (MP2 as used in VCD) is essentially identical to the elementary audio stream of MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio (MP3). This stands to reason as both are MPEG-1 audio.

You can multiplex an MP3 audio file with the MPEG-1 video in exactly the same way as multiplexing an MP2 audio file with the MPEG-1 video.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, I know those, i'm not that kind of an idiot
    give me a little credit, what i'm curious is, when you try to play this VCD+MP3 Video/Audio combo, and you check the properties, will it actually show MPEG1 Audio Layer III as the Audio Part ?? that's my question

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  18. It should. If it doesn't, the player is wrong.

There is no reason why you can't have MP3 audio as the audio encoding method in MPEG-1 systems video.

You just can't use it on a VCD and have it be compliant or work.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what i did

took an mpeg1 system stream, demuxed to seperate video and audio, remuxed the video with an mp3 audio sorce. plays in media player, and mpeg properties shows the audio as mpeg 1 - layer 3. i shall have to try burning one of these, although nero may reject it yet....
    Quote Quote