VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I captured from a digital camcorder to my hard disk using video studio 8.0 and installed the panasonic dv codec so I can edit it using other programs. The raw avi file came out to be 5gb, 25 minutes of video. I loaded up Tmpgenc 2.52 and proceeded to encode it to mpeg using the templates.

How come it takes almost 8 hours to encode 25 minutes of video to mpeg? I've captured from TV to raw avi (using a tv capture card) in the past and encoding it to mpeg doesn't take 7 hours for a 25 min. video. It took less than 2 hours to do so with the same settings for tmpgenc. But why does it take so long to encode the video that i got from the digital camcorder? Is it the DV codec? What else could I do to cut the time down? 8 hours encoding a 25 min is just ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The time difference could be codec related.

What codec did you use for your "raw avi" capture?

Most people confuse this, since almost nobody really uses "raw avi", as the file sizes would enormous (1.8 GIG per minute for the video only for NTSC). Also, since the DV coming from the camcoder is already DV encoded, it doesn't make sense to uncompress it.
    Quote Quote