VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Background:
    With the upcoming birth of my first child, I purchased the SONY handycam DRCHC40 to capture all the memories. The camera also comes with a memory stick to capture stills. Sony bundles this product with Pixela's "Picture Package" that allows for downloading the video and digital stills to my PC.

Problem 1
    I was initially able to stream the video and capture it via USB2 (arggh !!) but the Jpgs never came over automatically as specified in the user manual. Suffice to say, both Pixela's and Sony customer support could't help

Problem 2
    Pixela suggested that I download their updated version of Picture package from their website but this didn't help. Ultimately I was unable to even make a digital connection from Cam to PC - an error came up on the videocam. I de-installed the software and reinstalled the bundled CD. Still no streaming and no Jpgs. I installed the software on to my other PC (Dell D600, W 2000) ..same problem.

Can anyone help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming video through USB has to be enabled in the cam's menu, but isn't meant to transfer video, only for your cam to be used as webcam.
    Downloading MS (memory stick) pictures should work ok through USB though. If you're running XP and have your cam connected, when you power it up (play/edit mode), you should get a ping and XP asking you what you want to do, like open a window with the folder or run a program.

Personally, I found it much easier having an MS reader permanently connected to the PC and I just put the MS in it and download the pictures. Those seperate readers/writers are pretty cheap now a days anyway.

As for your video transfer, mine didn't came with Pixela, but reading about it, it seems to be a pretty useless program. I bought the Sony Screenblast Movie Studio (right now at $75 at Bestbuy instead of the usual $100 price) and it's a dream of a program to edit your videos with. You transfer you video with it, edit it, put titles, transitions, FX effects, and make VCD's or DVD's or send the edited file back to your cam. It's the best $100 I ever spend.

To be able to transfer video to your PC though, you'll need a Firewire connection and cable and at least a P3 1.2Mhz or better. Also, since AVI files are big (around 13 Gig an hour), you need lots of space on your hard disk. If you have Firewire, all you need is the right cable (cheap at Ebay for instance - around $5). If you don't, you need a Firewire card and they usually come with a Firewire cable (around $60).

Hope this helps
    Have a nice day :)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Royor
    Streaming video through USB has to be enabled in the cam's menu, but isn't meant to transfer video, only for your cam to be used as webcam.
    Downloading MS (memory stick) pictures should work ok through USB though. If you're running XP and have your cam connected, when you power it up (play/edit mode), you should get a ping and XP asking you what you want to do, like open a window with the folder or run a program.

Personally, I found it much easier having an MS reader permanently connected to the PC and I just put the MS in it and download the pictures. Those seperate readers/writers are pretty cheap now a days anyway.

As for your video transfer, mine didn't came with Pixela, but reading about it, it seems to be a pretty useless program. I bought the Sony Screenblast Movie Studio (right now at $75 at Bestbuy

Hope this helps
    Yes, this helps ...FWIW, i misused the phrase "streaming"...I didn't mean to imply web cam functionality, just video transfer. I was able to tranfer a short video clip and unable to transfer the Jpgs..Now nothing works. Bizzare !!

I didn't realize that separate MS reader's exist so I will explore that as a solution. Are there any you recommend? The XP suggestion isn't an option to me, I'm running 2000

I purchased Cyber Link's Power Director 3 (retail $99) for $9.99 (OEM version) at the Software Outlet - can't beat that price. I've yet to install it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Real good price for your software

MS Reader : Not really, I guess any kind will do as long as they take MS. I bought mine from Sony back when no other brands had MS support, and you know the Sony prices for accessories But it is far easier then to connect a digital camera or camcorder every time.

Now see if your new soft makes it any easier to get your movies transfered to you pc....
    Have a nice day :)
    Quote Quote