VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I keep getting this error when playing an AVI file. It was encoded with xvid and I have all the latest xvid, divx, ac3, ffdshow, and whatever other codecs out there. I also am using window's media player 9 and I also couldnt open the file on window's media player classic. The error is as states...
    "Class not registered (Error=80040154)"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does this happen with only one AVI file?

If so, I would suspect that this file is simply either fake or corrupt. If it's just corrupt, you could try opening it with VirtualDub and see if it can repair it, but I suspect that Vdub will not be able to even open it.

Also, you can try opening the file with Gspot and clicking on "render". If it is successful, I would try another player, such as Zoom Player or BSplayer. However, I strongly suspect that it will fail to be rendered. If so, I think you're out of luck.

As a long shot, try opening the file with VLC (Video LAN CLient, an excellent open source player with partial-file playback capabilities) or with AVI repair software such as the very difficult to find and non-free "videofixer".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    class not registered

This means the WMP cannot find the CODEC..or lacks the abililty to swicth into the Dirct Show mode to load said codec...
    REBOOT after loading the codec and it should play..
    If not, either the Media Plaer itself or the codec is bad..
    to test which..open a non linear editor and see if the codec usably shows up there..if so..than the Media Player bites..

try installing the classic media player instead
    Quote Quote