VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased a Sony 510UL. Everything works fine except the compatability of the +r discs to my SA player. The culprit seems to be that the book type is listed as "DVD+R" by DVDInfo. I have an NEC 1100A that burns my +r's as "DVD-ROM" for compatability. So I know these +r's work fine in most of my SA players. The only difference then is the book type between the Sony and the NEC.

On a side note the -r's play fine on the SA players but I would like to know if/why the Sony doesn't change the bitsetting to DVD-ROM like the NEC, to achieve wider compatability.

Is there a known way to change this? Thanks for the patience with a newbie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Alex,
    I believe this requires a FW change to support the utility to change the bit settings. Sony probably did not implement this because they are a core member of the Forum and changing this Bit setting might be seen as going against the DVD-ROM format. You might try some of the utilities on DVDplusrw.com but I doubt that you can change it.
    See the link:
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/bitsettings_pc.html

RG
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I did try that bitsetter programs, hoping it might just work, but no luck. I didn't realize that Sony was part of the "DVD Forum". (You sure learn alot at this site!)

Anyway, on a lark, I sent Sony Technical an e-mail. Let's see what they say.

As I said before, the -r's produced by the 510 are playing fine on my home SA players. And the NEC is taking care of my +r's when the need arises. It kinda sucks tho that the Dual-Format is actually limited at the moment.

Once again thanks for the info, and patience, if this is old stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I also wish my Sony would bitset. I have two DVD players, a cheap one and an older one which won't play +RW without setting the bit. The old one won't play DVDPro -R discs.
    Quote Quote