VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Microsoft Windows' Security...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that the worst virus in recent history arrived
    in email with a PIF attachment. Each and every infection
    had to be the result of the recipient manually EXECUTING
    an unknown attachment.

Doctor it hurts when I do this........well, dont do it then

I sure as hell dont execute anything in the mail.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by FOO
    I sure as hell dont execute anything in the mail.
    Don't forget those "To verify your account log-in at this link..." Basically, asking you to "log-in" and verify your account or something stupid like that. No one should ever ask you to "verify" your account. If they do, then they aren't worth doing buisiness with. Because they are to dumb to know any better. These are just scams to get your username and password. The scary thing is, people still fall for this trick.
    Swift Kick In The Butt $1.00

"Everybody I know needs what I'm selling!" - Calvin
    Quote Quote  
  3. nORTON HERE
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  4. Esp turn of that usless preview in either Outlook! Or as I call it "Autodistruct".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On Microsoft Windows' Security, not good and have to apply a patch every now and then and this isn't good for the system. Too many patches isn't good either.

This what I heard, get Win2000 SP4 or WinXP SP1 or SP2 installed into the computer is much better than having to apply all those installed patches one by one over time for security.

My own Firewall and AntiVirus is the most important and must update it all the time every few days or each week and you can't trust Microsoft.

A firewall is most effective way to protect your system and you don't know of any holes in Windows.

But be warned a firewall isn't 100% protection either and only you can minimise the risk. Anyway, a firewall and the antivirus is the best protection for your computer.

Is there any other way, only you can protect it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What ever firewall you are running run some of the test just to make sure you have all unnessary ports close or better stealth. Supprising how many leave open the world for you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NightWing
    What ever firewall you are running run some of the test just to make sure you have all unnessary ports close or better stealth. Supprising how many leave open the world for you!
    This is what I mean, only you can protect your system and you can improve Windows security yourself as well.

Just close them such as access permissions and the unnecessary ports. This is one way to minimise the risks.

Never leave everything open to the world, disable or remove the "Guess" user account is another way of doing this.

Never trust Microsoft on security.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yep. Some of the older firewalls left just about every port open. New ones do close the normal unessary ones but still leave open holes. A human actualy looking for ports is one thing but these people use a computer to do the searching. So LOCK YOUR PORTS! Strive for Stealth! Close is still a flag saying your here! Hit me!

www.grc.com is one I like to use to test. Esp when he looks at a lot of ports compared to just a few for others.

And if you think the Firewall that came with W2k & XP is good. Turn it off and get a real one! QUICKLY! {Yes W2k has one its hidden and a pain but better off with something else. }

Last to any who just plugh in their wireless system without setting security at 128 and changing both Name/password on the box... It is a mater of time before the trainwreck occures. Its not if but when.

Heck I dont trust Micosoft when I write program for clients for MS's very bad OS!
    Quote Quote