VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Download link: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can only conform that Microsoft Essentials anti-virus have high level of detection and cleaning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft is taking on full responsibility for virus/malware protection and is offering it for free. Pressure is on the other vendors to offer something better for a fee.

I'm sure the European Commision will try to block this and fine Microsoft millions.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used it off and on throughout the beta period and it does show promise.
    My only real complaint about it (as of now) is the ridiculously slow scanner.

On my computer, a 4gb scan takes over 22 minutes.
    Avast 4.8 free (thorough scan- all files including archives and high sensitivity setting) takes less than eight minutes.
    Avira free- high heuristics setting- scan all files including all archive types takes less than seven minutes.
    Bitdefender 2009 at highest detection setting/scan all files including archives takes less than ten minutes.

It's not that I'm terribly pressed for time, but I see no reason why the MS scanner is designed to be so slow.
    -And it's not due to "Cloud Technology";
    Panda is more than twice as fast as MSE, and although it's not by strict definition a pure antivirus application, Prevxs' full scan with maximum heuristics takes less than 75 seconds.

Now that MSE is out of beta, I hope some truly definitive testing of this application will take place.
    I will be very interested in seeing MSEs' numbers for detection, removal, and false positives.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote