VideoHelp Forum




+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

    Is there a way I can change how Vegas reads/interprets the frame rate of a video file without re-encoding it (eg: with some type of file editor)? VLC plays it perfectly. Vegas is not so forgiving (or intuitive). It's supposed to be 50 fps....Vegas is reading it as 12,800!! And obviously, it won't let me adjust (otherwise I wouldn't be asking).

    Thanks,
    Joe

    Image
    [Attachment 93974 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. You may be able to fix this with ffmpeg or mkvmerge, although the latter only works with some video formats.

    The dialog you posted is from the video itself. Did Vegas match the video properties when you dropped it on the timeline and, if so, what does the Project Properties dialog show? If it is also 12,800 fps, what happens when you press Alt-Right Arrow to advance one frame at a time? I suspect you might not see any movement because it will take 12,000+ presses before you actually get to a new frame. Knowing the answer to that may help craft a solution.

    As one example, you might be able to fix this with the undersample rate. Unfortunately, I just checked and when I typed in 0.001, it "corrected" to 0.100, so it doesn't look like you can get it to skip a huge number of frames. You might then stack several instances of Vegas and use Frameserver to feed the video from one instance of Vegas to the next, but that gets complicated pretty quickly.

    I wish I could still access the old Sonic Foundry/Sony Vegas forum because I posted close to 10,000 times there over twenty years, and I remember this issue came up several times, but can't remember what solution I came up with back then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Search Comp PM
    Whether or not I drop it into an existing project or start a new one, Vegas does not offer any "property" options for these files.
    I did find a workaround using Lossless Cut to merge a few clips together. Vegas likes those.

    Thanks, John....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member VWestlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2026
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Search PM
    What does MediaInfo say about the file's frame rate?

    One thing I like about the discontinued Serif MoviePlus video editor is its ability to override the source file's frame rate, aspect ratio, and scan type (interlaced/progressive, TFF/BFF), to correct "broken" video files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2026
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member VWestlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2026
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Search PM
    Look in the extended details, to see if it might have an incorrect "Original frame rate" flag, or a variable frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like you found a solution, but if not, I believe I may have an old MPEG-2 editor that let you change the fps flag. I can certainly do that with AVIfrate for AVI files, and actually do that quite often to modify my movie transfers to what I think is the correct frame rate (amateur 16mm and 8mm film was not shot at a standard speed, although 16 fps is usually a good starting point).
    Quote Quote  
  8. @OP
    A simple remux often helps.
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -map 0 -c copy output.mp4
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!