Really?
You wrote "GV-USB2 drops/insert frames" and "GV-USB2" creates image distortion".
You posted no evidences.
On the other hand there are plenty of GV-USB2 capture available (including mine on my YouTube channel) showing the oppostite.
You wrote "Generally I see 2 options...".
You posted no evidences.
On the other hand I linked two real comparisons on the field, and mentioned that there are many other comparisons available.
So, who is bullshitting and doesn't provide anything to support his arguments?
Really?
And who told you that I did not test the devices?
Really?
You're the one who's confused. I did not mention composite. VHS/S-VHS is recorded (basically) as Y/C on tape. It should be captured as such. Few devices used as pass-through for stabilization feed the internal TBC with component-generated signal (I am not writing composite) and once processed generate the component (I am not writing composite) and the Y/C outputs from there. Only in this rare case is better to capture component (I am not writing composite) rather than Y/C.
Search old discussion between knowledgeable user "oln" and my self about it, here and on digitalFAQ for more details.
Mine was not an opinion but a fact. I do not care what hardware/software you use, nor I wish to give a judgement; I am commenting to provide readers with the correct information.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 31 to 34 of 34
-
-
Correct.
Here you seem to be mistaken. In my schematics and partlist of the ES-15 service manual this capacitor has a value of 100uF 1) rather than your 1uF.However, because the capacitor is too small and the luma changes rapidly, the base line drifts within one field before reaching next sync pulse, which would set up the new proper reference point.
Calculating the step response from sync tip (-300mV nominal) to reference white (700mV nominal for PAL) shows that the level shift during a scanline (means from one sync tip to the next sync tip (=64us)) is less than 0.4% for a nominal 75 Ohms load. In terms of 8 bit video this decay corresponds to approx. 1 step down, means luma 235->234 (worst case) for reference white. For the active picture scanline duration (52us) this shift is even less. I doubt very much that anyone would notice anything.
Panasonic engineers probably knew what they were doing
The issue may however be aggravated when a poor capture device has its own - too small - DC blocking capacitor at its input.
Anyway, to be on the safe side I agree to use the S-Video out of the SCART socket - if available. But be aware that some crap SCART->SVideo adaptor plugs are internally wildly wired, unscreened. Means they produce luma<->chroma crosstalk artifacts as I have shown in earlier posts. Choose your poison
Footnote 1): In 2 other service manuals of ES-10 and ES-15 this capacitor value was even 470uF(!). For this value the level shift between 2 successive sync tips becomes <0.1%, means less than a single step in 8bit luma -> irrelevant.Last edited by Sharc; 5th Oct 2026 at 08:57. Reason: Footnote 1) added
-
Yes, I was wrong.
For composite signal, luma in dedicated S-video, luma in dedicated component Panasonic uses SAG compensation technique with 2 capacitors per line, trying to maintain the proper base line voltage.
For SCART output the signal goes straight from video/audio processor, no capacitors whatsoever, just a 75Ohm resistor.
That's from Panasonic Service Manual for DMR-ES15E(different submodels)
And yes, for SCART <-> SVideo dongles the wires are not shielded, but they are very short. So, I find it acceptable.Head switching noise? Use my Custom JVC VCR Service Remote Control (PTU94023B) to eliminate it! -
Well, SAG correction lowers the low frequency cutoff of AC coupled signals without having to increase the value of the coupling capacitor excessivly. It still will not pass DC but eventually makes the up-down fluctuation less "nervous" by emulating a large capacitor.
Yes, usually still the best option.For SCART output the signal goes straight from video/audio processor, no capacitors whatsoever, just a 75Ohm resistor.
Yes, usually one can live with it.And yes, for SCART <-> SVideo dongles the wires are not shielded, but they are very short. So, I find it acceptable
Edit:
This note explains the SAG compensation principle nicely:
https://file.elecfans.com/web1/M00/0E/4B/pIYBAFocUdGAKLffACg1_gZ7dwA551.pdfLast edited by Sharc; 5th Oct 2026 at 10:36. Reason: Link added
Similar Threads
-
Hi8 capture without camcorder?
By Leanoric in forum Capturing and VCRReplies: 24Last Post: 31st Aug 2026, 08:50 -
Not ejecting tape from camcorder Sony TRV 426, error C3130
By 1234567 in forum Camcorders (DV/HDV/AVCHD/HD)Replies: 1Last Post: 11th Sep 2025, 10:58 -
TBC on Digital 8 / Video 8 camcorder - to use or not to use?
By echo1434 in forum Capturing and VCRReplies: 7Last Post: 23rd Mar 2023, 07:47 -
$450 VHS/Hi8 10-bit 422 with Frame+Line TBC Capture Setup
By petet in forum Capturing and VCRReplies: 33Last Post: 23rd Jan 2023, 17:36 -
Help with Sony HI8 camcorder playback
By captncrunch21 in forum Camcorders (DV/HDV/AVCHD/HD)Replies: 6Last Post: 27th Oct 2021, 12:44




Quote