VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Forum,
    An absolute noob here, so possibly a silly question.

I wonder if it's possible, through video editing, to purposefully induce screen capture distortion effects on a video to such an extent that when presented on a monitor/laptop/projector, it hinders capturing a clear photo or video of the content using an iPhone, while still remaining intelligible to the naked eye (without causing seizures).

A bit of background: I recently attended a conference and used my iPhone 13 to take some Live Photos of the presented slides. While I could see the presented material visually without any issue, my iPhone photos displayed all sorts of distortions, making it difficult to read the content. I was surprised that my iPhone was stumped by a simple projector's refresh rate.

Now I'm curious, is it possible to use video editing to purposefully induce these effects? For instance, could I edit a video of a slide presentation such that if I were to take a photo of the content presented on my MacBook 2014 Retina display, or my Dell 1080 60FPS monitor, the captured photos or video would be too distorted for me to read, while the original content would still be visually intelligible to my naked eye?

I've tried to do research, but haven't found anything exploring how to induce, not reduce, these distortions.

Thanks for the help; hopefully, it's an interesting question!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can blur a video via editing, but it will look blurred on any display. There is no way that I'm aware that you could distort it for a single brand or device of display or phone.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the aperture is kept open too long and/or the iso is is low say 100, the the captured photo will be distorted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, editing a video specifically to make it unreadable by iPhone capture isn't achievable. iPhones use standard video codecs for capturing footage, and editing software works within those formats.
    Last edited by georgejohn21; 28th Jul 2024 at 14:53.
    Quote Quote