VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all.

Running Ubuntu, and it's actually frustrating, as I am yet to come across a decent editing tool, and using about 5 different programs in cases for one video.

I am restoring music videos.

I use AVIDemux, as it allows me to effortlessly cut through large video clips, without the need to re-encode, which as really saved me a tremendous amount of time. I can also do things like extract audio, and remove unwanted soundtracks,again without needing to re-encode. Handbrake allows me to slightly upscale if need be, I also use FFmpeg's delogo tool. It would really be nice if there was a tool which allowed me to drag the area around the logo, and it automatically enters the FFMPEG peremeters without the need to manually work out co-ordinates.

A lot of my work involves removing substandard audio, and replacing with a higher quality source - for that I'm currently using Kdenlive, but unless I manually enter in the specs of the source file, Kdenlive automatically re-encodes the video, and I suffer quality loss, and manually entering things such as the bit rate, etc is extremely frustrating.

I wish that AVIdemux had a timeline view which allowed me to mark certain parts of the audio, and allowed me to replace it, and to drag, and synch it...

What I'm doing eventually works,but it's extremely frustrating, and that's one thing about Windows, as processes are a lot more automated, where as Linux it's far more of a manual command driven system, which I don't mind, as I have ChatGPT to assist with commands, but I just wish that my video editing was more simple.

I did attempt davinci resolve, but it installed a Nvidia driver which stuffed my linux install up, and I had to enter safe mode to get rid of it, and I've been super careful since.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by paul92 View Post
    Hi all.

Running Ubuntu, and it's actually frustrating, as I am yet to come across a decent editing tool, and using about 5 different programs in cases for one video.

I am restoring music videos.

I use AVIDemux, as it allows me to effortlessly cut through large video clips, without the need to re-encode, which as really saved me a tremendous amount of time. I can also do things like extract audio, and remove unwanted soundtracks,again without needing to re-encode. Handbrake allows me to slightly upscale if need be, I also use FFmpeg's delogo tool. It would really be nice if there was a tool which allowed me to drag the area around the logo, and it automatically enters the FFMPEG peremeters without the need to manually work out co-ordinates.

A lot of my work involves removing substandard audio, and replacing with a higher quality source - for that I'm currently using Kdenlive, but unless I manually enter in the specs of the source file, Kdenlive automatically re-encodes the video, and I suffer quality loss, and manually entering things such as the bit rate, etc is extremely frustrating.

I wish that AVIdemux had a timeline view which allowed me to mark certain parts of the audio, and allowed me to replace it, and to drag, and synch it...

What I'm doing eventually works,but it's extremely frustrating, and that's one thing about Windows, as processes are a lot more automated, where as Linux it's far more of a manual command driven system, which I don't mind, as I have ChatGPT to assist with commands, but I just wish that my video editing was more simple.

I did attempt davinci resolve, but it installed a Nvidia driver which stuffed my linux install up, and I had to enter safe mode to get rid of it, and I've been super careful since.

Thanks
    try using OpenShot Video Editor or OBS Studio
    Quote Quote  
  3. shotcut is another nle that i use often and find it quite capable,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also Flowblade, written for Linux and has excellent video and audio editing tools.
    Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will be sure to try them all out.
    Quote Quote